From: Rick Rothstein on
Why? My question was directed to Paul in response to a comment that Paul
made. I personally don't care about Express myself (as I don't plan to ever
use VB.NET myself)... I just wanted Paul to acknowledge whether his
suggestion will cost the OP any functionality or not if he should decide to
follow Paul (and mayayana's) advice. I thought my purpose was obvious, but
I'm guessing from your posting that it was not. Anyway, that was my intent
and, as such, I'm pretty sure it is relevant to the thread as it has
developed.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Rick Rothstein on
Sorry, I meant to bottom-post my response (we top-post over in the Excel
newsgroups).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Girgenti wrote:
> WOW!!!
>
> I wish I would have remembered to check the 'Notify me of replies' checkbox.
> I did not realize all of this was going on.

It wouldn't have mattered. This is a newsgroup, not a website. Almost
all of the respondants were posting via NNTP, not HTTP, so (aiui) you'd
never have been notified. To use a newsgroup effectively you really
have to actually use the newsgroup. Best option is with a real
newsreader, not a browser.

> I think the suggestion by Shotgun Thom is the best. The sample program
> using the Wiaaut.DLL works great and is very simple.

And XP-SP1+ restricted, just like .NET -- maybe that's not a problem,
but you need to be aware of that.

> My only problem is that
> many of the .TIF files i am trying to convert are multipage documents. They
> were originally created for faxing.
>
> When i convert a multipage .TIF file to any other format using Wiaaut.dll,
> it only keeps the first page in the output. So, i have decided to create
> multiple .JPG files from one multipage .TIF file. That will work for me
> presently.

I'd suggest you also look at the FreeImage Project. I'm pretty sure
that library will work with multipage TIF files directly *and* it's not
similarly OS-restricted.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: ralph on
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:02:33 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Tony Girgenti wrote:
>> Thanks Ralph.
>>
>> I thought that would be the case. I guess i can't do it just using VB6
>> resources.
>
>Of course you can! But that would require intimate knowledge of each
>file format. Others have already canned this knowledge, and it's
>generally recognized that it's been well done and worth reusing. I'd
>recommend looking at the FreeImage Project, myself.

You bring up an interesting point and is something that is always just
behind the curtain when replying to a "Can you do ..." question.

What in programming is truly impossible? <g>

-ralph

From: Karl E. Peterson on
ralph wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:02:33 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Tony Girgenti wrote:
>>> Thanks Ralph.
>>>
>>> I thought that would be the case. I guess i can't do it just using VB6
>>> resources.
>>
>> Of course you can! But that would require intimate knowledge of each
>> file format. Others have already canned this knowledge, and it's
>> generally recognized that it's been well done and worth reusing. I'd
>> recommend looking at the FreeImage Project, myself.
>
> You bring up an interesting point and is something that is always just
> behind the curtain when replying to a "Can you do ..." question.
>
> What in programming is truly impossible? <g>

I still remember, back in the day, when the Delphites would sniff
haughtily that "you can't build a control panel applet with VB!" That
sure made them feel important. <chuckle>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org