From: Mike Williams on
"Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote in message

> It's pretty easy to do in Visual Basic .NET

Troll.

From: Mike Williams on
"Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote in message

> It's pretty easy to do in Visual Basic .NET

He didn't ask that, troll! He posted to the Classic VB newsgroup and he
specifically asked for a VB6 solution.

> but I'm not aware of any code solutions in Classic VB
> that don't implement a third-party component

Then you're a dummy, as well as a troll. If you really are an MVP then you
are a disgrace and an embarrassment to Microsoft. You are bringing the
entire MVP program into disrepute and it is not fair on the other MVPs who
are being tainted by your misbehaviour.

Troll.

Mike

From: Ralph on

> Frankly, nothing is easy to do in .NET. Paul obviously doesn't know,
> or conveniently forgot, that Microsoft replaced Kodak with WIA
> (Windows Image Acquisition Library). With WIA you can easily convert
> between TIFF and JPEG (or png, bmp, etc.) and, btw, do lots of other
> stuff like scan, print using photo print wizard, etc. all in VB6.
>
> It's free. Download at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a332a77a-01b8-4de6-91c2-b7ea32537e29&displaylang=en

I was not aware of that. I am still using a component I stole from somewhere
years ago. I'll have to check WIA out.

Thanks, for sharing.

-ralph

From: Nobody on
Besides what others suggested, check this image library, which supports many
formats:

http://openil.sourceforge.net/features.php
http://openil.sourceforge.net

It's licensed under LGPL, or "Lesser GPL", which means that you don't have
to make your software open source.

If this is for something you only use, or for in-house use, try using
IrfanView freeware instead. It can batch convert multiple files, and
supports command line options.

From: Mike Williams on
"Tony Girgenti" <tony(nospam)@lakesideos.com> wrote in message

> Hello. I want to develop a VB6 program to convert
> a .TIF file to a .JPG file.
> Is that possible using VB6?

Yes. You can write VB6 code to load the TIFF into a VB6 PictureBox using
GDI+ and then save it out as a JPG. Mscir has already posted some VB6 code
which will save a VB6 PictureBox Image as JPG for you and you'll find some
VB6 code at the following link that uses GDI+ to load a TIFF file into a VB6
PictureBox:

http://www.xtremevbtalk.com/t98285.html

If you go to the above link you'll find lots of useful VB6 GDI+ stuff. The
one you need to download for your specific job is the the file gdiplus8.zip.
I've just downloaded it and tried it out myself. It works fine and is
capable of loading either a standard single image TIFF or the individual
frames of a multi image TIFF into a VB6 Form or PictureBox.

Various other options have also already been posted by a number of very
helpful people here, and there are other options out there as well if you
look around. The main thing when posting questions here is to ignore people
like Paul Clement, who is a troll and who is extremely unhelpful and whose
intention is to deliberately lead people astray and who will think nothing
of deliberately lying to you. There are a couple of other trolls who pop in
here from time to time in an attempt to annoy people who use VB6 and to
drive them towards VB.Net, but Paul Clement is currently the most active of
them. He professes to be a Microsoft MVP, and there is in fact a real MVP by
the name of Paul Clement, but I don't know for sure whether the Paul Clement
troll who posts her is the real person or an imposter. I suspect he is the
real one judging by the fact that an unusually large percentage of the
trolls who from time to time infest this VB6 group are Microsoft MVPs. Read
into that what you will.

Mike