From: Jochem Huhmann on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> writes:

> Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting development - you can apparently now jailbreak by visiting
>> website on Mobile Safari.
>>
>> Dev-Team link:
>>
>> <http://bit.ly/bKjqQw>
>>
> Actually less of a develpment and more full circle, that us how the
> first one worked

And this as scary as it was back then, because this means there's a remote
exploit in Mobile Safari in iOS 4.01.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
From: Woody on
Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Interesting development - you can apparently now jailbreak by
> > > visiting
>>> website on Mobile Safari.
>>>
>>> Dev-Team link:
>>>
>>> <http://bit.ly/bKjqQw>
>>>
>> Actually less of a develpment and more full circle, that us how the
>> first one worked
>
> And this as scary as it was back then, because this means there's a
> remote
> exploit in Mobile Safari in iOS 4.01.

Indeed it gives you a tricky choice. Apple will come up with an update
to block that hole so if you update you wont be able to jailbreak, but
if you want to jailbreak it it means that you have to stay with a
version that has a known demonstrable flaw which can be accessed to
control your phone.

--
Woody
From: Mark on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:20:42 +0100, Woody wrote
(in article
<1549160520302444469.304278usenet-alienrat.co.uk(a)news.individual.net>):

> Mark <captain.black(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting development - you can apparently now jailbreak by visiting
>> website on Mobile Safari.
>>
>> Dev-Team link:
>>
>> <http://bit.ly/bKjqQw>
>>
> Actually less of a develpment and more full circle, that us how the
> first one worked

Really? I had no idea - although I didn't jump on board till iOS 2.x (I
think)

Mark

From: Jochem Huhmann on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> writes:

> Indeed it gives you a tricky choice. Apple will come up with an update
> to block that hole so if you update you wont be able to jailbreak, but
> if you want to jailbreak it it means that you have to stay with a
> version that has a known demonstrable flaw which can be accessed to
> control your phone.

Yes, having some way to jailbreak via USB using some application on your
computer is fine. Having a glaring hole somewhere in the OS that can get
exploited by some website is not fine.

Apple really should get realistic and offer some undocumented functions
to cleanly jailbreak the thing in a safe way.

Jochem

From: Woody on
Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Indeed it gives you a tricky choice. Apple will come up with an
> > update
>> to block that hole so if you update you wont be able to jailbreak,
> > but
>> if you want to jailbreak it it means that you have to stay with a
>> version that has a known demonstrable flaw which can be accessed to
>> control your phone.
>
> Yes, having some way to jailbreak via USB using some application on
> your
> computer is fine. Having a glaring hole somewhere in the OS that can
> get
> exploited by some website is not fine.
>
> Apple really should get realistic and offer some undocumented
> functions
> to cleanly jailbreak the thing in a safe way.

Well, I think it is about time there was a, maybe not approved but
tolerated jailbreak option. However in this case it is a good thing that
it is found by people trying to jailbreak, as then apple would do
something about it before people trying to do other stuff did something.

--
Woody