Prev: Kik mic
Next: Back
From: Sean Conolly on
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> I must be the only one on earth that has no use for 421s for any
>> application, new or old, lifeless sound, clumsy to use, very expensive to
>> replace the clips, nasty off axis response, just a useless mic IMO
>> btw I have a old TUCHEL connector type vintage 421 for sale 250$, no
>> cable
>> George
>
> The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright bass,
> cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam windscreen),
> kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar & even hi hat, in a
> pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them for vocals in the past.
> Eastern Europe, Russia & Middle East use them on press podiums. The only
> application I didn't like it for was guitar amps - too bright.

I have to second that. The original 421 is my favorite for floor tom - but
it's such a PITA to set up that I'm only interested in them as a recording
mic.

Sean

From: geoff on
Sean Conolly wrote:

> I have to second that. The original 421 is my favorite for floor tom
> - but it's such a PITA to set up that I'm only interested in them as
> a recording mic.

Actually I find them, because of the clip mechnaisn, much EASIER to set up
than mics that require a regular mic-clip (ie SM57). That is because the
clip and hinge mechanism is so much smaller and less intrusive than the
alternative.

Of course the mic body itself is larger and more fragile....

geoff

From: Audio1 on
Denny Strauser wrote:

> The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright
> bass, cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam
> windscreen), kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar & even
> hi hat, in a pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them for
> vocals in the past.

I remember seeing a number of Dead shows in the 78-80 time span where
every mic on stage was a 421. I think the PA's were Clair S-4's.
From: bob urz on
Audio1(a)teranews.com wrote:
> Denny Strauser wrote:
>
>> The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright
>> bass, cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam
>> windscreen), kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar &
>> even hi hat, in a pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them
>> for vocals in the past.
>
> I remember seeing a number of Dead shows in the 78-80 time span where
> every mic on stage was a 421. I think the PA's were Clair S-4's.

The scary thing about that is there are still S4's out in the wild in
Clair systems. Just saw some last month with Tim McGraw.

The WWE used S4's forever until they literally fell apart.
A few years back they finally came into the future with
I3's and such.

bob
From: Krooburg Science on
On Feb 26, 8:38 am, bob urz <so...(a)inetnebr.com> wrote:
> Aud...(a)teranews.com wrote:
> > Denny Strauser wrote:
>
> >> The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright
> >> bass, cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam
> >> windscreen), kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar &
> >> even hi hat, in a pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them
> >> for vocals in the past.
>
> > I remember seeing a number of Dead shows in the 78-80 time span where
> > every mic on stage was a 421.  I think the PA's were Clair S-4's.
>
> The scary thing about that is there are still S4's out in the wild in
> Clair systems. Just saw some last month with Tim McGraw.
>
> The WWE used S4's forever until they literally fell apart.
> A few years back they finally came into the future with
> I3's and such.
>
> bob

Yup, there are actually quite a few S4 boxes still in use out there.
It got/gets loud, but its a relatively ugly sounding box by today's
standards. Large with widely spaced multiple drivers per bandpass,
there was a quite a bit of comb filtering produced by a lone box.
Stack a bunch of them together and it was comb filter city, just a
pile of ugly. S4 systems got loud, but they were never smooth.

K.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Kik mic