Prev: Kik mic
Next: Back
From: Richard Webb on
George writes:

>> If I had $250 to spare at the moment, and you had the clip
>> I'd buy it from you <g>.

> I have the suspension shock mount forit what Ido not have is the
> three flat blade TUCHEL(vs 3 round pin xlr) cable so while I
> know it is in great shape(I once had the cable) I can't use it
> as is

Understand that. The shock mount's a bit better than the
stock mount too. I've got some parts of the shock mount
around here, were in my toolbox, awaiting some of the rubber band things from the suspension mount to be fabricated or to come in, so the pieces of the mount I had ended up in my
traveling toolbox and hence survived Katrina.

I"ll think about that for a week or two, and when a couple
pictures of Ben plus half are sitting in my pocket in the
discretionary fund I"ll check see if you've still got it.

Regards,
Richard
From: Denny Strauser on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> I must be the only one on earth that has no use for 421s for any
> application, new or old, lifeless sound, clumsy to use, very expensive to
> replace the clips, nasty off axis response, just a useless mic IMO
> btw I have a old TUCHEL connector type vintage 421 for sale 250$, no cable
> George

The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright
bass, cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam
windscreen), kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar & even
hi hat, in a pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them for
vocals in the past. Eastern Europe, Russia & Middle East use them on
press podiums. The only application I didn't like it for was guitar amps
- too bright.

I don't like the mic clip, & it is extremely expensive. I always tape
the mic to the clip so a musician doesn't drop it on the floor when
adjusting it. And it is a bit big & clumsy to use on toms.

The mic is a complicated mic inside, with a number of chambers & plastic
tubes for porting pick-up pattern & low frequencies. I opened one up
once to replace the windscreen. I'll never do that again. It was a real
PITA.

- Denny
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> I must be the only one on earth that has no use for 421s for any
>> application, new or old, lifeless sound, clumsy to use, very expensive to
>> replace the clips, nasty off axis response, just a useless mic IMO
>> btw I have a old TUCHEL connector type vintage 421 for sale 250$, no
>> cable
>> George
>
> The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright bass,
> cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam windscreen),
> kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar & even hi hat, in a
> pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them for vocals in the past.
> Eastern Europe, Russia & Middle East use them on press podiums. The only
> application I didn't like it for was guitar amps - too bright.
>
> I don't like the mic clip, & it is extremely expensive. I always tape the
> mic to the clip so a musician doesn't drop it on the floor when adjusting
> it. And it is a bit big & clumsy to use on toms.
>
> The mic is a complicated mic inside, with a number of chambers & plastic
> tubes for porting pick-up pattern & low frequencies. I opened one up once
> to replace the windscreen. I'll never do that again. It was a real PITA.
>
> - Denny

want to buy mine, I hate the damn things, I sold off my other 4 before you
first worked with me
sold my 431's as well, generally I do not like sennheiser mics, the sound is
too "empty ' for lack of another word, I don't like AKGs either
I love BEYER and I find lots of great stuff in audix/shure/audio-technica
but sennheiser and Akg's leave me wondering what the fuss is all about

perhaps my favorite mic is the beta 57a, just a great do anything rugged
affordable mic works on everything I have ever put it on
george

From: Denny Strauser on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>>> I must be the only one on earth that has no use for 421s for any
>>> application, new or old, lifeless sound, clumsy to use, very expensive to
>>> replace the clips, nasty off axis response, just a useless mic IMO
>>> btw I have a old TUCHEL connector type vintage 421 for sale 250$, no
>>> cable
>>> George
>> The 421 is one of my favorite mics. I like it on bass amps, upright bass,
>> cello, sax, trumpet, trombone, Leslie cabinets (with foam windscreen),
>> kick & toms. I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar & even hi hat, in a
>> pinch. The Grateful Dead & Stevie Nicks used them for vocals in the past.
>> Eastern Europe, Russia & Middle East use them on press podiums. The only
>> application I didn't like it for was guitar amps - too bright.
>>
>> I don't like the mic clip, & it is extremely expensive. I always tape the
>> mic to the clip so a musician doesn't drop it on the floor when adjusting
>> it. And it is a bit big & clumsy to use on toms.
>>
>> The mic is a complicated mic inside, with a number of chambers & plastic
>> tubes for porting pick-up pattern & low frequencies. I opened one up once
>> to replace the windscreen. I'll never do that again. It was a real PITA.
>>
>> - Denny
>
> want to buy mine, I hate the damn things, I sold off my other 4 before you
> first worked with me
> sold my 431's as well, generally I do not like sennheiser mics, the sound is
> too "empty ' for lack of another word, I don't like AKGs either
> I love BEYER and I find lots of great stuff in audix/shure/audio-technica
> but sennheiser and Akg's leave me wondering what the fuss is all about
>
> perhaps my favorite mic is the beta 57a, just a great do anything rugged
> affordable mic works on everything I have ever put it on
> george

I like the beta 57 as well, especially on snare, because it can take the
inevitable beating (604 is good on snare for the same reason). If I had
extra cash, I'd buy your 421's.

But, you know what? I'm not that concerned with what mic to use on kick.
D6, Beta 52, 602, 91, RE20, 421 & a few others all do a fine job if the
kick is tuned well. I DO wish I had a gold plated RE20 like Rush
Limbaugh....
I never liked the D112, though.

Does anyone know the difference between an RE20 & PE20? A sound company
I used to work for had both, but no one has ever been able to tell me
the difference. they look exactly the same.

- Denny
From: geoff on
Denny Strauser wrote:
> Does anyone know the difference between an RE20 & PE20?

The " \ " fell off ?

geoff

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5