From: tadk on
I have had a repeat of this scenario under Labview 8.0. I was editing
the "simple operator interface" example which comes on the course work
CD. I experienced several lockup situations where apparently labview
did not like my added wiring, and the only recourse was to use task
manager to shut down labview. After continuing at this for a couple of
hours I reached a point where even task manager did not come up. A hard
reboot brought my system back but labview never gets past "finishing
initialization".

I tried the repair and deleting the ini - no change. The only fix I know is a reinstall.  Other advise is welcome.

During this short project I have had to reboot my system at least 70
times to get past some kind of lockup or flakey behavior, I have seen
at least 15 spontaneous reboots caused by a VI, and I have had to
reinstall twice on my laptop and twice on the target chassis.

When is Labview 9.0 expected?
From: Travis M. on
Woah there!  Let?s
take a step back before we take drastic measures?..

First of all, does your Laptop meet all of the minimum requirements
of the install of LabVIEW?  Do you have
sufficient RAM, do you have a supported OS, and do you have a capable video driver?  All of these things make a difference!  Additionally, there is a way to set the NI
services (or any service for that matter) to run when needed as opposed to
automatically running on startup. To do this, open the Windows Control Panel,
and click on ?Administrative Tools? and open ?Services?.  From here you can start and stop services, as
well as configure them to run in ?manual? mode which will start them only as
needed.

There should never be a problem with uninstalling NI
Software due to NI services running.  The
proper way to uninstall LabVIEW is to first shut down all NI programs you have
open.  Then, go to control
panel->add/remove programs->national instruments software and choose ?change?.  From here you can uninstall LabVIEW by
clicking on it and selecting ?remove?.
Installing 8.0.1 should have had no effect on the NI services or LabVIEW.  Did you reboot and mass compile the LV directory after the
8.0.1 install?  It?s also important to note
that all of the LabVIEW 8.0 installers are the same.  The version of LabVIEW that is installed
depends on which version is ?unlocked? based on the serial number you enter
when activating LabVIEW.

It is entirely possible that for some reason one of the NI
services is hanging, or behaving poorly.
I think you were on the right track with starting debugging from that
point.  We could also try to determine
which exact service is causing problems, then determine which software that
service installed with and troubleshoot from there.

I assure you that many people are running with all sorts of
NI software combinations on their machines without these problems.  If there is some problem with an NI service
on your machine, installing a new version of LabVIEW might not make a
difference anyway.  I do apologize that
this has been causing you problems, and I thank you for the debugging completed
so far.  I hope this information proves useful -- please let us know how things
go!
From: tadk on
My machine: 512GB, 1.5Ghz .

Sorry, but none of those assumptions (Add/Remove will actually do
something, for instance) apply when the NI SW decides to really
misbehave. I have spent most of a day just trying to purge my machine
from every last trace of NI SW so I could install again. Msblast and
the registry purge only does half the job. Many files still left in the
windows folders. After much hair-pulling I finally got to a point where
the install disk would do more than just tell me I already had a newer
run-time engine installed, but after what I thought was a complete
re-install I still can't open a vi.

"Failed to start because niorbu.dll was not found"

"Resource not found. nilvaiu.dll is not a valid labview file".

Lots of other possiblities I suppose including bad HD, bad RAM,  bad CDs, but the only problems I have had are with NI SW.
From: Travis M. on
Humm..... Interesting problem, and I'm sorry that its one
that you are experiencing!

I'm pretty certain that though the manual file renaming, repairs, and
reinstalls that the state of NI software on your computer is very unstable.
You mention that msiblast and the registry are not total solutions.  This
is not completely unexpected, and we do have additional steps that you can take
to remove the software.  Because of software piracy issues we do not
publish them, but your AE that you contacted in May should be aware of the
steps you need to take.  Using the Service Request that you had used
before, give us a call at 1-866-275-6964 to speak with the AE you contacted
personally and ask about this.

I suppose we could supply you with those missing DLLs and
their location to appease LabVIEW, but I think this could have dangerous
versioning side-effects so let?s start with reinstalling and getting LabVIEW to
open a VI first.

Again, sorry that this has been a problem, please let me
know how things go.

Message Edited by Travis M. on 06-13-2006 01:52 PM
From: tadk on
When I first went down the uninstall path, I mistakenly selected
"remove" instead of "change" when I went into add/remove. If you do
this you lose the option to later select 'repair'.

So after re-installing and finding things still not working, I properly
selected add/remove->change->repair. The repair process hung up a
couple of times and I just had to 'ignore', but an hour or so later
labview seems to be working again.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: HP34970A