From: tadk on
I have been using Labview 8.0.1 and Teststand 3.5 on my laptop for a few weeks (eval versions)
during the time I don't have access to my PXI platform.
Today when I tried to shutdown my laptop, Labview would not shut down and could
not be terminated. After 10min or so it finally shut down. After reboot of the system, labview
hangs on startup during "finishing intialization", and must be terminated. I cannot launch it at all.
Please tell me there is a way to fix it without reinstall.
From: tadk on
Additional info: When I shut down my machine, it takes a few minutes
even if I have not run any apps at all - just power on and then
shutdown. Before I installed all this NI stuff, it would take seconds
to shutdown. I can see there are 5 or 6 NI agents running right from
boot. Even if you aren't planning to use labview, they have already
consumed a good sized chunk of memory.
From: tadk on
OK, deleting the ini file did not solve the problem. I tried a repair
on the labview component and it seemed to complete, and then it tried a
repair on Ni-DAQ 8.0.1 even though I had not requested that. This hangs
up at "shutting down services".

Since its not repairable, I tried removing all components with DAQ in
the name. This also hangs while trying to remove NI-DAQmx 8.0, and even
though it does not give details, I suspect it is trying to shut down
those same services. You cannot cancel out of the remove procedure
unless you terminate just about every running process.

Later  I found that nipalsm (2 instances) and nimxs are processes
which cannot be terminated in task manager. Somehow they do get
terminated in a normal shutdown, but I have not seen one of those in a
while.

Next step: installing over the exising  Ni-DAQ.
From: Ankita on
Hi,
I would suggest that you either call/email National Instruments after creating a&nbsp; service request at <a href="http://www.ni.com/ask" target="_blank">www.ni.com/ask</a>.&nbsp;We might be able to help you in cleaning your system.
Regards,
Ankita Agarwal
Applications Engineer
National InstrumentsMessage Edited by Ankita on 05-12-2006 05:05 PM
From: tadk on
Tech support suggested a few options the first being delete the ini
file, reboot, launch labview and give it up to an hour to sort things
out.This didn't work.
Option 2 is the repair, which didn't work because windows couldn't shut down the running NI agents.
Option 3 is uninstall, delete Labview folders, reinstall, which was also failing for the above reason.

My solution was to identify those problem NI agents that were running
(40MB worth!), rename those exe files so they could not re-launch,
reboot and uninstall everything.
I think my problem may have been due to the scattered&nbsp; way I did
my original install. I had downloaded the various pieces at different
times but I think there were
some 8.0.1 mixed with 8.0 and probably not installed in any particular order.

I have now reinstalled from the non-eval 8.0 CDs and I plan to avoid
8.0.1 if possible. Hopefully this will prevent the problem recurring
since the fix takes 1-2hrs.
It is promising that my shutdown time is only 30secs or so instead of minutes.

These are the obvious NI agents which run from boot. There may be others with less obvious names:
nidevmon.exe, nipasm.exe(1), nipalsm.exe(2), nisvcloc.exe, nidmsrv.exe, nimxs.exe

I can understand one such program may be needed to launch others as needed, but six!?
Programs which launch and run without your request, using resources and
providing no benefit are often called parasite programs.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: HP34970A
Next: drive a stepper motor