From: Pen on
On 7/7/2010 2:19 PM, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> I live in two locations: Rhode Island & Texas. I intend to buy a high
> powered laptop (probably Lenovo) so that all my apps are on one computer.
> That way, I'll have the laptop at whichever location I'm at. My problem
> is that I would like something like an expansion box so that I can use
> and/or change some hardware (like a graphics card) when I choose. The
> laptop is not conducive to this. If I did this, I'd have a duplicate
> expansion box in both locations. I'm thinking: the best of both worlds:
> I can have my PC while traveling - and not have to travel with a desktop.
> Overall, I'm thinking this would be both practical and cheaper than a
> desktop. Lenovo doesn't have what I want. Does my idea have merit? If
> so, are there any limitations to what I can put in the expansion box and
> be able to connect to it? Please give me some ideas. Thanks......

Whatever you do don't try to use one of the USB connected
port expanders. They have insufficient band width to support
all you seem to want. The port expanders that plug into some
laptops do not have card slots anymore. You will have to get
one from whomever you get the laptop from as they are very
much device specific and you will find they require high end
laptops, usually work stations. Dell and Lenovo have them
but neither one has a card slot.
From: PeoplesChoice on
Thanks all for your comments. I would consider a desktop at each end -
but how do I move the hard drive from one to the other so that I'm always
current? Then there's the backup drive problem. A backup is a MUST!!!

From: GlowingBlueMist on
On 7/7/2010 7:29 PM, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> Thanks all for your comments. I would consider a desktop at each end -
> but how do I move the hard drive from one to the other so that I'm always
> current? Then there's the backup drive problem. A backup is a MUST!!!
>

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:19:43 -0400, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
>
>> I live in two locations: Rhode Island& Texas. I intend to buy a high
>> powered laptop (probably Lenovo) so that all my apps are on one computer.
>> That way, I'll have the laptop at whichever location I'm at. My problem
>> is that I would like something like an expansion box so that I can use
>> and/or change some hardware (like a graphics card) when I choose. The
>> laptop is not conducive to this. If I did this, I'd have a duplicate
>> expansion box in both locations. I'm thinking: the best of both worlds:
>> I can have my PC while traveling - and not have to travel with a desktop.
>> Overall, I'm thinking this would be both practical and cheaper than a
>> desktop. Lenovo doesn't have what I want. Does my idea have merit? If
>> so, are there any limitations to what I can put in the expansion box and
>> be able to connect to it? Please give me some ideas. Thanks......

1.5 and 2 Terabyte drives have come down in price lately. Many times in
the $89 price range or even less with a rebate. Take one of them and
either place it in an external USB or ESATA case. Those usually can be
had at the same place as the drive. If you only need to transfer half
that amount of data drives with USB cases are going for $59 or less.

Just be aware that if you fly anywhere in the USA that the Homeland
Security police claim to have the legal right to force you to give them
any and all passwords needed to access the data on the drive.

Another thought would be to use one of the Online storage methods like
Carbonite or Mozy. While I have not used either service both of them
sounds like promising options. Just be sure that PC's from both
locations would have total access to the stored data before signing up.

Below is a link to a review of both services, just ignore that the
review is on an Apple Blog as both services support Windows and Apple
operating systems.

http://theappleblog.com/2009/07/16/mozy-vs-carbonite-mac-backup-smackdown/

From: peter on
Build 2 Desktops that are exactly the same..Mobo/RAM/Video/ Operating system
Use a Case that has removable HD bays...not necesary but it makes it easier
Set up one with OS and programs of your Choice.
Remove the HD and place it in the other Computer...since both have exactly
the same
hardware everything will function as if you were on the 1st computer.

So when your in Rhode Island doing work on your system you would remove the
HD
and when you go to Texas you would insert that HD into the Texas computer
and
you would be right where you left off in RI

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or
disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting
complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)

From: PeoplesChoice on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:43:37 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
<glowingbluemist(a)truely.invalid> wrote:

>On 7/7/2010 7:29 PM, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
>> Thanks all for your comments. I would consider a desktop at each end -
>> but how do I move the hard drive from one to the other so that I'm always
>> current? Then there's the backup drive problem. A backup is a MUST!!!
>>

>> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:19:43 -0400, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
>>
>>> I live in two locations: Rhode Island& Texas. I intend to buy a high
>>> powered laptop (probably Lenovo) so that all my apps are on one computer.
>>> That way, I'll have the laptop at whichever location I'm at. My problem
>>> is that I would like something like an expansion box so that I can use
>>> and/or change some hardware (like a graphics card) when I choose. The
>>> laptop is not conducive to this. If I did this, I'd have a duplicate
>>> expansion box in both locations. I'm thinking: the best of both worlds:
>>> I can have my PC while traveling - and not have to travel with a desktop.
>>> Overall, I'm thinking this would be both practical and cheaper than a
>>> desktop. Lenovo doesn't have what I want. Does my idea have merit? If
>>> so, are there any limitations to what I can put in the expansion box and
>>> be able to connect to it? Please give me some ideas. Thanks......
>
>1.5 and 2 Terabyte drives have come down in price lately. Many times in
>the $89 price range or even less with a rebate. Take one of them and
>either place it in an external USB or ESATA case. Those usually can be
>had at the same place as the drive. If you only need to transfer half
>that amount of data drives with USB cases are going for $59 or less.
>
>Just be aware that if you fly anywhere in the USA that the Homeland
>Security police claim to have the legal right to force you to give them
>any and all passwords needed to access the data on the drive.
>
>Another thought would be to use one of the Online storage methods like
>Carbonite or Mozy. While I have not used either service both of them
>sounds like promising options. Just be sure that PC's from both
>locations would have total access to the stored data before signing up.
>
>Below is a link to a review of both services, just ignore that the
>review is on an Apple Blog as both services support Windows and Apple
>operating systems.
>
>http://theappleblog.com/2009/07/16/mozy-vs-carbonite-mac-backup-smackdown/

Thanks. Should I have two backup storage drives - one at each location -
or travel with one?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Is this cable fake?