From: peter on
If all of the parts are exactly the same there is no conflict.
Once upon a time I build 2 systems one for me and one for a friend
using all the same parts.I installed W7 on one system plus programs
and then "cloned" to the other systems HD. It worked flawlessly.

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or
disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting
complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
wrote in message news:0htb36tb0b9r99c5oqebu8g9bal1ir3mlq(a)4ax.com...

This sounds like a good solution. Are you sure nothing will conflict?

From: Paul on
PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I'd like to build the 'best' with quality
> components. From your email, considering the spec detail, I think that's
> where you're coming from too.

I operate "strictly USENET", as this way, if the conversation
has any value, it's archived. Alternately, if someone else
has a better idea than I do (the team approach), they can
add their two cents worth.

For example, on computer cases, there are too many of them,
for any one person to have seen them all. And when it comes
to the perception of whether stuff will fit, a person
who has actually fitted a GTX 480 into a computer lately,
has a more valuable opinion than I do.

I'm willing to answer questions, as they arise. But I draw the
line at "writing a book" (most of my posts are book length as it
is). If you give us a snapshot as to where you're at (what
components you've selected), we can suggest stuff to watch out for.

For example, processors come with up to six cores now, but there may not
be a whole lot of extra value by using such a solution. On a server,
you might get some tangible benefit from it, but on a desktop,
most of that power will be snoozing, even when gaming. We still
aren't at the point, where "six cores" is mainstream. Software
has to catch up. A quad is probably a good choice, with the clock
speed a function of the dollars you have to spend.

Part of the exercise of building a system, is "learning without
getting burned". The objective, is to build a computer, without
having a lot of parts left over. That would be considered a success.
If you have a lot of trouble getting it running, then swapping in
spare parts, makes the exercise less satisfying. You can always rely
on the retailer or the manufacturer, to support the warranty, but
depending on the cost of the component, you might not want to wait
that long. The failure rate on motherboards is probably in the 3% range,
which means one builder in thirty three, has a "rough ride".

There used to be a computer store in my town, where if you bought
the parts from them, they'd assemble it for $100 more. So that is
another alternative. The advantage in that case, is if there is
a defective component out of the box, while they're building,
they just reach for another one. That saves some of the time
involved in returning stuff to an Internet retailer. If you already
have a feeling for how well you and "electronics" or "gadgets" get
along, you may already know what risk level there will be while
building your own system. (To give an example, I don't get along
with small gasoline engines -- therefore, if someone brings me
a chainsaw to fix, I politely have to tell them to walk away. It
helps to know your own limits :-) I know how to ruin a chainsaw,
but not fix one.)

Paul
From: PeoplesChoice on
OK, so be it. I respect your opinion and position. Now, my next concern
is how to get assured that, once I start and purchase all the components,
that your help and that of the other participants will remain available.
I want to build a "powerhouse" with quality components - not
'inexpensive.' Especially if I build TWO identical units. I'd hate to be
left alone with that. Of course I expect to be learning as I go along -
but the teacher(s) has to be there.

The other thing is: I'm not sure exactly what I will eventually want in
this computer - its' capability so to speak. I have been ill for about
nine years (just coming out of it) so, even though I have used computers
for many years, I am somewhat out of touch with what computers are
capable of nowadays. For instance, I might want to build a rig that will
handle my music system, a 3D flat screen television system, a TIVO type
digital recorder, videoconferencing (Skype), home security, ham radio,
home conveniences, (you get the idea). I have been reading up on the
magazines for months to catch up - but I know I still don't know
everything that's out there. I want to be prepared with the components I
buy for just about anything. For me, that's a big part of the enjoyment
I get out of doing it myself. When it comes to video and audio, I have
no idea what capabilities are out there. I want to build a unit that has
room to grow. How can I learn about those things (besides waiting for a
magazine with the right article to come along? One thing I DO know, I
probably will not get involved with games. The rig might be capable of
games, but I've never been into them. But I do know I will get back into
Photoshop - and probably video editing. I'm more 'technical' and get my
kicks out of learning and making things 'work.' I want a home 'command
post.' And I definitely want USB3 (for my backups - mostly). I am very
big on attempting to make my system 'crashproof.' If it crashes, I don't
enjoy rebuilding the hard drive from scratch - mainly because I put so
much on it. If I have to do it (and I did recently), I want everything
backed up so I can restore all my data and settings. I DO realize that
it's a good thing to occasionally rebuild the OS, but I don't like being
'down' while I'm doing it. Well, that's what I can tell you for now.
Comments please! (from anyone).

From: GlowingBlueMist on
On 7/8/2010 10:59 AM, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:43:37 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
> <glowingbluemist(a)truely.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/2010 7:29 PM, PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
>>> Thanks all for your comments. I would consider a desktop at each end -
>>> but how do I move the hard drive from one to the other so that I'm always
>>> current? Then there's the backup drive problem. A backup is a MUST!!!

>> 1.5 and 2 Terabyte drives have come down in price lately. Many times in
>> the $89 price range or even less with a rebate. Take one of them and
>> either place it in an external USB or ESATA case. Those usually can be
>> had at the same place as the drive. If you only need to transfer half
>> that amount of data drives with USB cases are going for $59 or less.
>>
>> Just be aware that if you fly anywhere in the USA that the Homeland
>> Security police claim to have the legal right to force you to give them
>> any and all passwords needed to access the data on the drive.
>>
>> Another thought would be to use one of the Online storage methods like
>> Carbonite or Mozy. While I have not used either service both of them
>> sounds like promising options. Just be sure that PC's from both
>> locations would have total access to the stored data before signing up.
>>
>> Below is a link to a review of both services, just ignore that the
>> review is on an Apple Blog as both services support Windows and Apple
>> operating systems.
>>
>> http://theappleblog.com/2009/07/16/mozy-vs-carbonite-mac-backup-smackdown/
>>
> Thanks. Should I have two backup storage drives - one at each location -
> or travel with one?
By using the internal hard drives as the primary you could get by with
just one external drive for traveling between the two locations.

Another thought might be to use one of the free Dynamic DNS companies to
allow you to remotely access one computer from the other over the
internet. A small program is added to the computer that keeps track of
the IP assigned by your ISP and forwards the IP address periodically to
the Dynamic DNS company's computer for updating.

Say you are leaving one home you would leave that computer powered on
and by using the DNS name you would assign that computer you would
remotely be able to log in and transfer any existing data you want over
to the computer where you have relocated to. You could get a UPS and
leave the computer powered on all the time if you wanted, letting it act
like a remote server for you using the Dynamic DNS name to contact it.

On my computer motherboard BIOS I have the option of telling it when to
power down so I could leave it powered on while traveling, and then it
would power itself down say after two days or what ever I specify with
in it's range. Not all motherboards support the timed power down option.

I would still take along a copy of things I wanted using an external
drive just in case of a power failure or other problem at the first
address before I arrived at my final destination.

True a second backup drive would be nice but if price is a problem you
could get by using the free Dynamic DNS method and one external drive.

Rather than purchasing external enclosures I presently use what is
commonly called using a toaster drive system. You would get two docking
stations, one for each house, and then all you would need to purchase is
bare external SATA drive(s). You plug a drive into the docking station
(toaster) and use it just like any other external drive. Docking
stations can be had that support eSATA, USB, or other interfaces. Some
with multiple interfaces like eSATA and USB. With this method you can
purchase what ever SATA drive is cheapest at the time and use it as
another backup drive as needed. Combine this with the Dynamic DNS
method and you should be good to go. I use little foam lined camera
cases to store and transport my drives. Just keep the drive in the
anti-static bag they come in for added protection.

Thermaltake is just one brand making the toaster style docking stations.
From: Mike Easter on
PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:

> Comments please! (from anyone).

In the beginning, you started this thread with questions about a LT
laptop to have the same computer on both ends between RI and TX.

Some of us were saying it was easier to have a modest DT computer on
both ends and something 'light' to travel with - or even just travel
with a portable hdd or I have preferred a removable hdd (tray/caddy) in
the past.

Nowadays you can have an external/portable SATA at SATA speeds instead
of USB bottleneck/chokepoint.

But now you are describing some pretty elaborate functions for the
computer you may build. Does that mean that you want all of this
functionality on both ends of RI and TX, or that you only want some of
the functions on both ends and other functions at one end?

--
Mike Easter
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last