From: PeoplesChoice on
This sounds like a good solution. Are you sure nothing will conflict?

From: PeoplesChoice on
Also, I've never built a computer before - although I'd like to. My
concern is: will everything I buy (all components) work with each other?
Is there a way to find out? If I build, I would build a very high end
desktop. BTW, what is the difference between a desktop and a
workstation? That has always confused me. Thank you.

Bob

From: Paul on
PeoplesChoice(a)Chicago.net wrote:
> Also, I've never built a computer before - although I'd like to. My
> concern is: will everything I buy (all components) work with each other?
> Is there a way to find out? If I build, I would build a very high end
> desktop. BTW, what is the difference between a desktop and a
> workstation? That has always confused me. Thank you.
>
> Bob

At one time, the situation might have looked like this

1) Regular motherboard - desktop processor, two busses (PCI, video slot)

2) Workstation motherboard - desktop processor, three busses (PCI, PCI-X, video slot)
or alternately, single server processor
- occasionally, added disk interfaces like SAS (serial SCSI)

The PCI-X might have been valued, for the addition of a plug in RAID controller.
At one time, there was a better selection of PCI-X, and not as
many choices for PCI Express.

3) Server motherboard - one, two, four processor sockets, gobs of RAM (up to 192GB),
- pretty weird choices for expansion slots,
crappy built-in video (because it isn't meant for gaming)

If you look at the boards here, the distinction is getting blurred. I
don't think the "WS" boards here have PCI-X, and seem to have more
fully wired x16 PCI Express slots.

http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

For high end, all you really need is LGA1366, and at least one
PCI Express x16 slot for a video card, and voila, you're done.

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX $310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

You check the web site, for what kind of processors are supported.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6X58D%20Premium

You download the user manual (before buying anything), to study your
purchase more carefully. For example, you'd learn it could benefit
from a three stick kit of DDR3 memory as a minimum configuration.
(The choice you make here, when queried about the OS, doesn't affect
the offering of PDF manuals for download.)

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6X58D%20Premium

I study the picture of the motherboard pretty carefully, as the
location and type of expansion slots is important. If we look
at the picture here, a high end video card goes in the left-most
dark blue expansion slot. Then, assume the cooler on the video card,
covers the next two slots. That leaves room to use only one, powder-blue
PCI slot, for a good sound card. So this layout barely satisfies my
desired add-in cards.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-614-Z03?$S640W$

In this example, I could use the left-most dark blue PCI Express
slot for the good video card, leave two blank, use a white PCI slot
for a sound card, and have a second white PCI slot for my favorite
TV tuner card. You have to plan ahead, and think of what toys you
might add, to select the right motherboard. Of course, many add-in
functions also come in PCI Express format, and an x1 card can be plugged
into an x16 slot. A "bigger slot" can accept "smaller" PCI Express
cards.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-157-150-S03?$S640W$

The high end video cards, can have relatively high power consumption.

(Scroll half way down, to see a GTX 480 uses 262 watts)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gigabyte-gf-gtx400_6.html#sect0

You check the video card picture, for the power connectors needed.
This one, has a 2x3 and a 2x4 connector, in the bottom right of the photo.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-130-558-Z05?$S640W$

This is what the advertisement for that video card lists for power:

"System Requirements Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt
current rating of 42 Amps.)
Power Connector 6 pin / 8 pin"

Those include some assumptions on the part of the person making up that
600 watt number. We know we have a 130 watt processor, and a 262 watt
video card, which is 392 watts all coming from +12V. The motherboard
chipset and RAM uses another 50W. A hard drive is 12W. A CD/DVD is 25W.
These are numbers to use for a ballpark figure for the supply.
Now, we're up to 479 watts, and the supply should have a bit of
expansion room. (It doesn't draw 479 watts all the time. That is the
peak gaming power. At idle, the processor could be 12W, the video card
42.1 watts, so in non-gaming situations, power usage is a lot lower.
In fact, when I quote 479 watts, you're unlikely to actually be able
to hit that number. Your consumption will be somewhat less. But there
is little point in "just scraping by", when you've spent so much
money on the rest of it.

If you were on a tight budget, you might buy this.

(has two PCI Express connectors, just enough for the high end video card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

and for a bit more margin, you could get this. The 80% efficiency
rating of these, helps reduce the waste heat contributed by the
power supply itself. The best supplies you can get, are about
87% efficient, but they cheat (in the same way they cheat on
air conditioner efficiency). The 87% supplies are only 87% efficient,
as long as virtually all the power comes from the +12V rail. If
you draw significant power from 3.3V or 5V, the efficiency of
the 87% supply drops quite a bit. In any case, you don't want
an ordinary supply, at 68% efficiency, because the heat pouring
out of there, when it is supplying the 479 watt load, would be
quite bad.

(has more PCI Express power cables)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/tx750w_efficiency.jpg

http://www.corsair.com/_productmanuals/P49-00002%20TX%20Manual%20Read%20layout.pdf

Part of the fun of building a computer, is avoiding mechanical
issues. For example, your high end video card is 10.6" long,
while the motherboard is 9.6" wide. That means the end of the
video card, extends past the edge of the motherboard. It can
bump into the hard drive rack.

This case, has the lower rack turned sideways. There might
be enough room here. You can use the holes in the motherboard
tray, as a guide as to where 9.6" is. (In this example, 9.6"
would be slightly to the right, of the right-most screw
hole in the picture. Add an inch onto that, leaves a bit of
room to the rack.)

"Antec Sonata Proto Black"
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-129-086-Z06?$S640W$

Picking a good case, is perhaps the toughest job of all,
as there are hundreds of cases, and not many of them are
winners.

Paul
From: PeoplesChoice on
Paul, thanks very much for all the detail. It's going to take me a while
to go through all the URLs - and to understand the whole picture. This
is the first time I've come across someone so knowledgable in building a
computer. If you were willing to 'hold my hand' while I go through this
information (and build my first PC), may I suggest we start using email.
If you agree, how do we exchange email addresses without letting the
world know what they are? I would consider myself fairly proficient in
using a PC (but not nearly up to YOUR speed). With help, I'm fully
capable of buiding a unit. I'm 65 years old and live both in the
Northeast and in Texas. I'm a retired engineer (both Electronic and
Quality). Willing to help???

From: PeoplesChoice on
I forgot to mention that I'd like to build the 'best' with quality
components. From your email, considering the spec detail, I think that's
where you're coming from too.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Is this cable fake?