From: Rich Grise on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:52:06 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> Let's Take A Vote...
>
> While I write this up, hopefully sometime this weekend, let me ask for
> votes...
>
> How many think, as Larkin opines, "charge is not conserved" ??
>
> How many think charge IS conserved ??
>
> Just curious what I'm up against here.

This is probably simple to someone like Richard Feynman, but if it isn't
"conserved," where does it go?

Thanks,
Rich
[wondering if I should have posted this as The Philosophizer. ;-) ]\

From: Rich Grise on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:38:45 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:30:25 -0500, John Fields
> <jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:52:06 -0700, Jim Thompson
>><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Let's Take A Vote...
>>>
>>>While I write this up, hopefully sometime this weekend, let me ask for
>>>votes...
>>>
>>>How many think, as Larkin opines, "charge is not conserved" ??
>>>
>>>How many think charge IS conserved ??
>>>
>>>Just curious what I'm up against here.
>>
>>---
>>Cordially, Jim,
>>
>>All you're up against is Larkin's sophistry, and whether any of us votes
>>as to whether charge is conserved or not is immaterial, since nature
>>rules.
>>
>>Post what you've got and let the chips fall where they may, there's
>>always Wikipedia which supports your position:
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge#Conservation_of_electric_charge
>>

>>On the other hand, if Larkin's right and energy is conserved but charge
>>isn't, then since charge is a measure of force, unbalanced lost charge
>>might be able to be used for propulsion.
>
> Charge is measured in coulombs. Force is measured in newtons. So how is
> charge "a measure of force"?

What's "electromotive force?" Its units are "volts," right?

What was the original question?

Thanks,
Rich

From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:43:06 -0700, Rich Grise <richgrise(a)example.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:38:45 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:30:25 -0500, John Fields
>> <jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>>>---
>>>Cordially, Jim,
>>>
>>>All you're up against is Larkin's sophistry, and whether any of us votes
>>>as to whether charge is conserved or not is immaterial, since nature
>>>rules.
>>>
>>>Post what you've got and let the chips fall where they may, there's
>>>always Wikipedia which supports your position:
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge#Conservation_of_electric_charge
>>>

>>>On the other hand, if Larkin's right and energy is conserved but charge
>>>isn't, then since charge is a measure of force, unbalanced lost charge
>>>might be able to be used for propulsion.
>>
>> Charge is measured in coulombs. Force is measured in newtons. So how is
>> charge "a measure of force"?
>>
>What's "electromotive force?" Its units are "volts," right?

Now force is measured in volts? Dang, I was just getting used to
measuring it in coulombs.

>What was the original question?

I have no idea. We're waiting for a "mathematical proof" of something,
which might even include a statement of the problem. They often start
out that way.

John

From: Robert Baer on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> Let's Take A Vote...
>
> While I write this up, hopefully sometime this weekend, let me ask for
> votes...
>
> How many think, as Larkin opines, "charge is not conserved" ??
>
> How many think charge IS conserved ??
>
> Just curious what I'm up against here.
>
> ...Jim Thompson
I define "charge" as total number of electrons and state one neither
gains or loses electrons (except via nuclear interactions); they CAN
(and will) move around - even "tunnel" from here to there.
From: Robert Baer on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:30:25 -0500, John Fields
> <jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:52:06 -0700, Jim Thompson
>> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's Take A Vote...
>>>
>>> While I write this up, hopefully sometime this weekend, let me ask for
>>> votes...
>>>
>>> How many think, as Larkin opines, "charge is not conserved" ??
>>>
>>> How many think charge IS conserved ??
>>>
>>> Just curious what I'm up against here.
>> ---
>> Cordially, Jim,
>>
>> All you're up against is Larkin's sophistry, and whether any of us
>> votes as to whether charge is conserved or not is immaterial, since
>> nature rules.
>>
>> Post what you've got and let the chips fall where they may, there's
>> always Wikipedia which supports your position:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge#Conservation_of_electric_charge
>>

>> On the other hand, if Larkin's right and energy is conserved but
>> charge isn't, then since charge is a measure of force, unbalanced lost
>> charge might be able to be used for propulsion.
>
> Charge is measured in coulombs. Force is measured in newtons. So how
> is charge "a measure of force"?
>
> John

Lessee...
*force (vector)F, dimensions : M L T^-2 (derived unit Newton).
*charge q, dimensions : Q (derived unit coulomb).
Hmmm absolutely no similarity; need a conversion factor that adds
the correct dimensions....
Maybe as a wild guess try electric field strength (vector)E, M L
T^-2Q^-1 (derived unit volts/meter)?