From: Phil Hobbs on
Grant wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:51:58 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:45:53 +0100, Martin Brown
>> <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Hopefully not too many. But it is difficult to predict the behaviour of
>>> electronics engineers - about half of them think Einstein was wrong :(
>>> Just about every physicist on the planet since Ben Franklin.
>>>
>>> It was the inconsistency of Ampere's Law with conservation of charge
>>> that led Maxwell to formulate his famous equations and show that
>>> oscillating fields of electromagnetic radiation travel at a constant
>>> speed c in a vacuum.

>>> A idealised physics version of your original capacitor problem but
>>> without the switch can be stated as the following problem:
>>>
>>> Two identical metal spheres with capacitance C are used.
>>> Initially one is uncharged and the other with a charge Q
>>>
>>> They are brought together from infinity until they touch.
>>>
>>> Describe what happens and how the charge is distributed after they are
>>> in electrical contact. You can add an infinite ground plane under the
>>> experiment if it makes you feel better about the circuit analogue.
>>>
>> Where can I buy 0.33 uF surface-mount metal spheres? Are they
>> expensive? I'd need ROHS, of course, on reels. [1]
>
> Second terminal optional?!
>
> But then, we sorta cater to 'monopole' charge when using human
> body model's charge for anti-static measures.
>
> Grant.
>> John
>>
>> [1] extra credit: how big would they be?

Objects have both self-capacitance and mutual capacitance, so it's quite
sensible to talk about a capacitor with only one lead. In Gaussian
units, the self-capacitance of an isolated sphere of radius r
centimetres is r. (The CGS unit of capacitance is the centimetre.)

One cm ~= 1.12 pF, so 330,000 pF is about 30 km radius. That's quite a
big reel!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: Jim Thompson on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:09:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:38:53 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>>> http://www.cafepress.com/dd/1478200
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>> Of course. Child molestation exists in Catholic land ONLY if you get
>> caught.
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>As I said to Vlad the other day, where I come from we know a trick worth
>two of that one. You can get more integrated current out of a
>transformer than you put in, too. So what?
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Yep. Must be black magic :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Phil Hobbs on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:09:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> Of course. Child molestation exists in Catholic land ONLY if you get
>>> caught.
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>> As I said to Vlad the other day, where I come from we know a trick worth
>> two of that one. You can get more integrated current out of a
>> transformer than you put in, too. So what?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Yep. Must be black magic :-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Every step-down DC-DC converter in the world puts out more current than
it takes in, as commonly understood in the EE world. Or does your PC
have a mondo heatsink on the PSU?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

From: Phil Hobbs on

Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Objects have both self-capacitance and mutual capacitance, so it's quite
> sensible to talk about a capacitor with only one lead. In Gaussian
> units, the self-capacitance of an isolated sphere of radius r
> centimetres is r. (The CGS unit of capacitance is the centimetre.)
>
> One cm ~= 1.12 pF, so 330,000 pF is about 30 km radius. That's quite a
> big reel!

3 km. Still bigger than most p&p machines.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
From: Nunya on
On Jul 24, 11:24 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:15:09 -0700 (PDT), Nunya
>

> <jack_sheph...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> >On Jul 24, 8:30 am, John Larkin
> ><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> >> If you experience a pig, does that make you a pig?
>
> >> Look at the SI units if you want to determine if things are the same.
>
> >> Is a pig a Field?
>
> >> John
>
> >  You are an absolute idiot, Johnny.  IF we were talking about
> >MECHANICAL force,then yes, the unit might be described
> >in Newtons.  SINCE we are talking about electronic principals
> >(you do know what the word 'principal' means, right?), then
> >the FORCE being mentioned would OBVIOUSLY be EMF
> >or abvolts.
> > Grow up, you idiot.
>
> Force is measured in newtons. Look it up.
>
> Now we have claims that coulombs, volts, and abvolts are all measures
> of force. Any other contributions? Can you measure force in
> milliseconds, or in henries? Do any units mean anything at all?
>
> John

You must be going senile. That is the only explanation short
of bioterrorist or chemical invasion into you.

Yer fucked up, dude.