From: John Fields on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:13:48 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:49:38 -0500, John Fields
><jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:30:43 -0700, John Larkin
>><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>>>If you experience a pig, does that make you a pig?
>>
>>---
>>That's just a silly diversionary tactic; measuring a force doesn't
>>make you the force.
>>---
>>
>>>Look at the SI units if you want to determine if things are the same.
>>
>>---
>>That's just another silly diversionary tactic.
>
>Were you ever taught dimensional analysis?
>
>Obviously not. Give it a try:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis
>
>The basic concept is that you can test all sorts of relationships for
>plausibility by reducing their SI units. If the units don't agree, the
>things can't be equal. Newtons aren't coulombs, so charge can't be
>force.

---
No one said it was.
---

>It's that simple.
>
>They taught us this our first freshman semister in EE school, in a
>course called "Engineering Design Analysis" which was taught in a
>small classroom by the Dean of Engineering, just to get us started on
>the right track. It's been a great friend ever since.

---
Bait and switch?

Ha,ha.

Nice try, but you're caught well and good and now you're doing all
that squirming, trying to get off the hook, that you tried with your:
"Latching relays have infinite gain fiasco."

Have fun running it further into the ground if you want to; you've
already buried yourself as far as I'm concerned, so I'm off looking
for something new.

JF

From: John Larkin on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:25:15 -0500, John Fields
<jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:13:48 -0700, John Larkin
><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:49:38 -0500, John Fields
>><jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>>>---
>>>That's just a silly diversionary tactic; measuring a force doesn't
>>>make you the force.
>>>---

>>>---
>>>That's just another silly diversionary tactic.
>>
>>Were you ever taught dimensional analysis?
>>
>>Obviously not. Give it a try:
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis
>>
>>The basic concept is that you can test all sorts of relationships for
>>plausibility by reducing their SI units. If the units don't agree, the
>>things can't be equal. Newtons aren't coulombs, so charge can't be
>>force.
>
>---
>No one said it was.

You did:

>>On the other hand, if Larkin's right and energy is conserved but
>>charge isn't, then since charge is a measure of force, unbalanced lost
>>charge might be able to be used for propulsion.

John

From: Grant on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:51:58 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:45:53 +0100, Martin Brown
><|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 23/07/2010 23:52, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> Let's Take A Vote...
>>>
>>> While I write this up, hopefully sometime this weekend, let me ask for
>>> votes...
>>>
>>> How many think, as Larkin opines, "charge is not conserved" ??
>>
>>Hopefully not too many. But it is difficult to predict the behaviour of
>>electronics engineers - about half of them think Einstein was wrong :(
>>>
>>> How many think charge IS conserved ??
>>
>>Just about every physicist on the planet since Ben Franklin.
>>
>>It was the inconsistency of Ampere's Law with conservation of charge
>>that led Maxwell to formulate his famous equations and show that
>>oscillating fields of electromagnetic radiation travel at a constant
>>speed c in a vacuum.
>>>
>>> Just curious what I'm up against here.
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>
>>A idealised physics version of your original capacitor problem but
>>without the switch can be stated as the following problem:
>>
>>Two identical metal spheres with capacitance C are used.
>>Initially one is uncharged and the other with a charge Q
>>
>>They are brought together from infinity until they touch.
>>
>>Describe what happens and how the charge is distributed after they are
>>in electrical contact. You can add an infinite ground plane under the
>>experiment if it makes you feel better about the circuit analogue.
>>

>Where can I buy 0.33 uF surface-mount metal spheres? Are they
>expensive? I'd need ROHS, of course, on reels. [1]

Second terminal optional?!

But then, we sorta cater to 'monopole' charge when using human
body model's charge for anti-static measures.

Grant.

From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:52:05 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:51:58 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:45:53 +0100, Martin Brown
>><|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Hopefully not too many. But it is difficult to predict the behaviour of
>>>electronics engineers - about half of them think Einstein was wrong :(

>>>Just about every physicist on the planet since Ben Franklin.
>>>
>>>It was the inconsistency of Ampere's Law with conservation of charge
>>>that led Maxwell to formulate his famous equations and show that
>>>oscillating fields of electromagnetic radiation travel at a constant
>>>speed c in a vacuum.

>>>A idealised physics version of your original capacitor problem but
>>>without the switch can be stated as the following problem:
>>>
>>>Two identical metal spheres with capacitance C are used.
>>>Initially one is uncharged and the other with a charge Q
>>>
>>>They are brought together from infinity until they touch.
>>>
>>>Describe what happens and how the charge is distributed after they are
>>>in electrical contact. You can add an infinite ground plane under the
>>>experiment if it makes you feel better about the circuit analogue.
>>>

>>Where can I buy 0.33 uF surface-mount metal spheres? Are they
>>expensive? I'd need ROHS, of course, on reels. [1]
>
>Second terminal optional?!
>
>But then, we sorta cater to 'monopole' charge when using human
>body model's charge for anti-static measures.
>
>Grant.
>>
>>John
>>
>>[1] extra credit: how big would they be?

The human body model tester has a ground terminal.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: John Larkin on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:52:05 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:51:58 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:45:53 +0100, Martin Brown
>><|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Hopefully not too many. But it is difficult to predict the behaviour of
>>>electronics engineers - about half of them think Einstein was wrong :(

>>>Just about every physicist on the planet since Ben Franklin.
>>>
>>>It was the inconsistency of Ampere's Law with conservation of charge
>>>that led Maxwell to formulate his famous equations and show that
>>>oscillating fields of electromagnetic radiation travel at a constant
>>>speed c in a vacuum.

>>>A idealised physics version of your original capacitor problem but
>>>without the switch can be stated as the following problem:
>>>
>>>Two identical metal spheres with capacitance C are used.
>>>Initially one is uncharged and the other with a charge Q
>>>
>>>They are brought together from infinity until they touch.
>>>
>>>Describe what happens and how the charge is distributed after they are
>>>in electrical contact. You can add an infinite ground plane under the
>>>experiment if it makes you feel better about the circuit analogue.
>>>

>>Where can I buy 0.33 uF surface-mount metal spheres? Are they
>>expensive? I'd need ROHS, of course, on reels. [1]
>
>Second terminal optional?!
>
>But then, we sorta cater to 'monopole' charge when using human
>body model's charge for anti-static measures.

We do have a few parts in our PADS library that have only one pin.

John