From: Rupert on

Geoff wrote:
> Eeyore wrote:
> > Geoff Wood wrote:
> >
> >> Who sells good unbal-to-bal adaptors that handle +4 line level (for
> >> an unbal Aux output to powered monitor). Regular DI box either
> >> overloads (nasty clack on peaks) , or gives too low output level
> >> with input attentuated...
> >
> > Why do you even need one ?
>
> I'd rather not send an unbal signal 50 metres.
>
> geoff

Keep in mind you could put an EQ inline that will actively balance the
signal too, not an uncommon device to use to process monitors anyway.

Rupert

From: Phil Allison on

"Eeysore"
> Geoff Wood wrote:
>> >
>> > Why do you even need one ?
>>
>> I'd rather not send an unbal signal 50 metres.
>
> If the receiving end is wired balanced it makes no odds.

** What asinine BOLLOCKS !!

So balanced outputs are suddenly unnecessary - when did the laws of
physics change ??

> I've plenty of experience sending an unbalanced signal 50m btw and I never
> had a
> single problem.

** So ground loop induced hum does not exist in the fairy land this donkey
brained fuckwit inhabits.

........ Phil

From: Eeyore on

Phil Allison wrote:

> >> I'd rather not send an unbal signal 50 metres.
> >
> > If the receiving end is wired balanced it makes no odds.
>
> ** What asinine BOLLOCKS !!
>
> So balanced outputs are suddenly unnecessary

For the most part they are.

> - when did the laws of physics change ??

Never. You just need to apply them correctly.

> > I've plenty of experience sending an unbalanced signal 50m btw and I never
> > had a single problem.
>
> ** So ground loop induced hum does not exist in the fairy land this donkey
> brained fuckwit inhabits.

Geoff didn't say it was to avoid ground loops.

In any case wiring signal hi to signal hi and screen to signal-lo at the
balanced input removes the earth loop.

Graham

From: Geoff on
Eeyore wrote:
> Phil Allison wrote:

>> ** So ground loop induced hum does not exist in the fairy land this
>> donkey brained fuckwit inhabits.
>
> Geoff didn't say it was to avoid ground loops.

No I (and Phalluson) didn't say anything about ground loops (though that is
highly likely to be a problem). Induced hum and interference is what I am
most concerned about.

geoff

From: Geoff on
Rupert wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
>> Eeyore wrote:

>>> Why do you even need one ?
>>
>> I'd rather not send an unbal signal 50 metres.
>>
>> geoff
>
> Keep in mind you could put an EQ inline that will actively balance the
> signal too, not an uncommon device to use to process monitors anyway.

My ounboard eq goes to an unbal aux out, and my 'spare' 31 band eq is an
Alesis 3630. Say no more ....

geoff