From: Phil Allison on

"Geoff"
> Eeyore wrote:
>> Phil Allison wrote:
>
>>> ** So ground loop induced hum does not exist in the fairy land this
>>> donkey brained fuckwit inhabits.
>>
>> Geoff didn't say it was to avoid ground loops.
>
> No I (and Phalluson) didn't say anything about ground loops (though that
> is highly likely to be a problem). Induced hum and interference is what
> I am most concerned about.

** So you know as little as any other sound guy.

All myth - no fact.

....... Phil

From: Peter Larsen on
Tim Scott wrote:

>> I've plenty of experience sending an unbalanced signal 50m btw
>> and I never had a single problem.

> Agreed

Most of the time an inline transformer or balancing amplifier will act
more signal deterioration, but if it is a rig that goes on the road the
"some of the time" concerns also apply.

> In the past I did have some xlr-jack y splits that i made, so I
> could send a stereo signal down one xlr channel on a multicore

Back in the old days keeping line level in rock rigs all unbalanced (and
thereby avoiding to add a lot of transformers in the signal path) was
the key to optimum sound quality, but this applies for the mains
grounding scheme used here in Denmark, and safety concerns necessitated
by a different standard for grounding could void that.

Peter Larsen
From: Arny Krueger on
"Phil Allison" <philallison(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

>>> I'd rather not send an unbal signal 50 metres.
>>
>> If the receiving end is wired balanced it makes no odds.

> ** What asinine BOLLOCKS !!

IME, there is quite a bit of truth to it. A lot of the benefit of balanced
I/O is provided by the balanced input.

> So balanced outputs are suddenly unnecessary

A very high proportion of so-called balanced outputs are merely impedance
balanced. IOW there is not really an active balanced output, just a
low-value resistor connected to ground.

From: Rupert on

Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Phil Allison" <philallison(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> >> If the receiving end is wired balanced it makes no odds.
>
> > ** What asinine BOLLOCKS !!
>
> IME, there is quite a bit of truth to it. A lot of the benefit of balanced
> I/O is provided by the balanced input.
>
> > So balanced outputs are suddenly unnecessary
>
> A very high proportion of so-called balanced outputs are merely impedance
> balanced. IOW there is not really an active balanced output, just a
> low-value resistor connected to ground.

A properly impedance balanced output is what's primarily required to
for CMR work. If you tie the ground of an unbalanced output directly to
pin 3 and the hot to pin 2, the relative impedance of the ground to
cold path is near 1 ohm whereas the impedance to hot is whatever the
circuit is designed at, say 50 ohms. This means that noise common to
both wires feeding the balanced input is not going to be of the matched
amplitude an will therefore not cancel when the cold polarity is
flipped and the signals are added. There may be some reduction of
noise, but not in the order of matched impedance hot and cold.

Rupert

From: Phil Allison on

"Arny Krueger"
> "Phil Allison"
>> "Eeysore"

>>> If the receiving end is wired balanced it makes no odds.
>
>> ** What asinine BOLLOCKS !!
>
> IME, there is quite a bit of truth to it.

** There is a great big lie in it too - fuckhead.

>> So balanced outputs are suddenly unnecessary
>
> A very high proportion of so-called balanced outputs are merely impedance
> balanced.

** That is a MASSIVE LIE !!!!!!!!

The proportion of such in use is tiny.

Plus is a complete red herring to the issue.

I already post this days ago:

Balanced outputs, either symmetrical, floating transformer or so called "
ground cancelling" are fitted to equipment for DAMN GOOD REASONS.

Readers might like to see the details spelled out here:

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm

....... Phil