From: Phil Allison on

"Rupert"

> A properly impedance balanced output is what's primarily required to
> for CMR work. If you tie the ground of an unbalanced output directly to
> pin 3 and the hot to pin 2, the relative impedance of the ground to
> cold path is near 1 ohm whereas the impedance to hot is whatever the
> circuit is designed at, say 50 ohms. This means that noise common to
> both wires feeding the balanced input is not going to be of the matched
> amplitude an will therefore not cancel when the cold polarity is
> flipped and the signals are added. There may be some reduction of
> noise, but not in the order of matched impedance hot and cold.

** I already covered this problem days ago in the same thread:

" That only works OK with transformer balanced inputs ( ie very high CMRR
and non susceptible to RFI) which are rare as hen's teeth in modern audio.

With typical active balanced line level inputs ( ie limited CMRR) - ground
loop hum will probably still be audible PLUS you are just asking for
horrible RFI problems as the cable screen is earthed only at the send end.
"

........ Phil

From: Rupert on

Phil Allison wrote:
> "Rupert"
>

> > A properly impedance balanced output is what's primarily required to
> > for CMR work. If you tie the ground of an unbalanced output directly to
> > pin 3 and the hot to pin 2, the relative impedance of the ground to
> > cold path is near 1 ohm whereas the impedance to hot is whatever the
> > circuit is designed at, say 50 ohms. This means that noise common to
> > both wires feeding the balanced input is not going to be of the matched
> > amplitude an will therefore not cancel when the cold polarity is
> > flipped and the signals are added. There may be some reduction of
> > noise, but not in the order of matched impedance hot and cold.
> >

> ** I already covered this problem days ago in the same thread:
>

> " That only works OK with transformer balanced inputs ( ie very high CMRR
> and non susceptible to RFI) which are rare as hen's teeth in modern audio.
>
> With typical active balanced line level inputs ( ie limited CMRR) - ground
> loop hum will probably still be audible PLUS you are just asking for
> horrible RFI problems as the cable screen is earthed only at the send end.
> "
>

> ....... Phil

I saw your excellent post. Mr. Krueger has stated in the past that his
method was virtually as effective as a balanced output, so I was
providing an explanation to the contrary. That method may work in some
situations, but it's not good practice. I'm sure he will disagree.

Rupert

From: Phil Allison on

"Rupert"

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

>> > A properly impedance balanced output is what's primarily required to
>> > for CMR work. If you tie the ground of an unbalanced output directly to
>> > pin 3 and the hot to pin 2, the relative impedance of the ground to
>> > cold path is near 1 ohm whereas the impedance to hot is whatever the
>> > circuit is designed at, say 50 ohms. This means that noise common to
>> > both wires feeding the balanced input is not going to be of the matched
>> > amplitude an will therefore not cancel when the cold polarity is
>> > flipped and the signals are added. There may be some reduction of
>> > noise, but not in the order of matched impedance hot and cold.
>> >

>> ** I already covered this problem days ago in the same thread:
>>

>> " That only works OK with transformer balanced inputs ( ie very high
>> CMRR
>> and non susceptible to RFI) which are rare as hen's teeth in modern
>> audio.
>>
>> With typical active balanced line level inputs ( ie limited CMRR) -
>> ground
>> loop hum will probably still be audible PLUS you are just asking for
>> horrible RFI problems as the cable screen is earthed only at the send
>> end.
>> "
>>

> I saw your excellent post.

** My gawd - someone here actually comprehends them !!!

> Mr. Krueger has stated in the past that his
> method was virtually as effective as a balanced output, so I was
> providing an explanation to the contrary.

** Arny's method ??

The resident " Eeysore " was the utter fool who claimed that ( two
conductor) unbalanced outputs were as good as regular three conductor,
balanced ones.

> That method may work in some
> situations, but it's not good practice. I'm sure he will disagree.

** It is important to know that an " impedance balanced" output CANNOT
be created from typical unbalanced one by just adding one resistor in the
ground circuit. It has to be designed from the very start to work in that
mode.

The output HOT signal must have a precisely fixed source impedance, with
virtually no amplitude variation or PHASE SHIFT over the whole audio band -
means any output coupling cap must be very large or omitted.

Even then, the practical CMRR of typical ( one op-amp) active balanced
inputs is lucky to be 40 dB at low audio frequencies and usually much less
at high ones.

Given that ground loop hum voltages can be from 1mV to over 100mV, even
achieving 40 dB rejection is not enough to render the humming noise silent
in bad case.

....... Phil

From: Arny Krueger on
"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)linkline.com> wrote in message
> Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "Phil Allison" <philallison(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>>> "Eeysore"

>>> ** What asinine BOLLOCKS !!
>>
>> IME, there is quite a bit of truth to it. A lot of the
>> benefit of balanced I/O is provided by the balanced
>> input.
>>
>>> So balanced outputs are suddenly unnecessary
>>
>> A very high proportion of so-called balanced outputs are
>> merely impedance balanced. IOW there is not really an
>> active balanced output, just a low-value resistor
>> connected to ground.
>
> A properly impedance balanced output is what's primarily
> required to for CMR work. If you tie the ground of an
> unbalanced output directly to pin 3 and the hot to pin 2,
> the relative impedance of the ground to cold path is near
> 1 ohm whereas the impedance to hot is whatever the
> circuit is designed at, say 50 ohms.

Ever do the math and see how much this really matters?

> This means that
> noise common to both wires feeding the balanced input is
> not going to be of the matched amplitude an will
> therefore not cancel when the cold polarity is flipped
> and the signals are added. There may be some reduction of
> noise, but not in the order of matched impedance hot and
> cold.

No argument that impedance-matching is ideal, but you might be surprised if
you run some numbers and calculate the actual benefits. Remember, that the
CMRR of many so-called balanced inputs is also limited by internal parts
tolerances.

From: Phildo on

> I saw your excellent post. Mr. Krueger has stated in the past that his
> method was virtually as effective as a balanced output, so I was
> providing an explanation to the contrary. That method may work in some
> situations, but it's not good practice. I'm sure he will disagree.

Of course. Arny is incapable of ever admitting he is wrong in anything, even
to himself. Is all part of his PPD affliction. Don't bother arguing with
him, it will just cause another long and pointless thread. Everyone here
already knows to ignore pretty much anything he says.

Phildo