From: Aragorn on
On Monday 12 July 2010 17:39 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
sctvguy1 wrote...

> JBJ (4920) wrote:
>
>> "J G Miller" <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> skrev i meddelelsen

>>> So why do you not use it?

>> I am trying out different systems, to find the ones I like, so if I
>> find one then it goes on the shelf and I try other ones. In the
>> meantime I'm using my laptop for mail and news. Thats why!
>
> Don't even bother to reply to posters who are OCD on "headers" and
> what newsreader you are using. Perhaps they do not have a job, so
> they do not know that a person must post on whatever is available at
> work.

In all fairness, the headers *are* often important in clarifying what
kind of poster we're dealing with. And given the recent flurry of
troll crossposts from comp.os.linux.advocacy, I think the evidence has
been provided.

There *are* legitimate reasons as to why someone posting to a GNU/Linux
newsgroup would be using Microsoft Windows or Apple MacOS X, of course,
just as there are legitimate posters who post via Google Groups.
However, in both cases, the legitimacy of such posts is a statistical
minority, and it is alas the statistical majority which has over the
years defined - and continues to define - how most of the regulars
validate such posts. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: TJ on
On 07/12/2010 07:33 PM, Aragorn wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 19:24 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as TJ
> wrote...
>> I've been self-employed since the age of 12 - nearly fifty years - and
>> have no intention of trading the advantages of that for the nebulous
>> security of a regular paycheck.
>
> I will not argue your vantage on that, and perhaps in the USA - where I
> think you live; by all means, please correct me if I'm wrong - this is
> a valid statement. Over here in this "charming" little country on the
> other hand, being self-employed is a rather "nebulous" situation.

Yes, I'm in the US. I'm a farmer in the Syracuse, New York area. The
vast majority of farmers in the US are self-employed in reality, though
technically many have become family-owned corporate entities to limit
liability and for other tax purposes.

There are some huge farms owned by mega-corporations, but their numbers
are in the minority. However, those so-called "factory farms" do take up
a large percentage of available farmland in some states, shipping cheap
food all over the country - much to the consternation of those who
promote "localvore" activity from people like me.

And now I'm the one wandering too far off-topic.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: mjt on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:17:25 -0400
TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:

> Yes, I'm in the US. I'm a farmer in the Syracuse, New York area.

Glad to hear it TJ !!! For whatever it's worth, I have
a farmers market down the street (I feel fortunate it's
so close) and I buy all my fruits/veggies/whatever else
there, as I like to keep the money locally.

I go to the grocery store, and too often, I see things
like bulk garlic imported from China (WTH?). (The
grocery stores here mark where the item is from).

I live in an area where there are lots of farms nearby
and who offer their fruits and veggies to the public
(pick your own fruit). The symbolic fruit of Texas is
the Ruby Red grapefruit (and the best variety IMO) and
I'll see grapefruit shipped in from Mexico - again, this
is in the grocery stores (again, WTH?)

Okay, I'm done being OT :)

--
H: If a 'GOBLIN (HOB) waylays you,
Slice him up before he slays you.

From: Dan C on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:18:00 -0500, mjt wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:28:27 +0200
> "JBJ \(4920\)" <thunder(a)spoergmig.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Is it a Vanta card?
>
> Most likely not.
>
> Anyway, for a "Vanta" driver, go:
> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
>
> Product type: Legacy
> Product Series: Vanta series
> Operating System: choose whatever you're using
>
> What's so difficult about that?

I pointed this out to him two weeks ago. He has not responded. Clearly
this complicated task is beyond his capabilities.

Remember, he's a Win-droid.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he got cattle-prodded in the groin.
From: TJ on
On 07/12/2010 11:39 AM, sctvguy1 wrote:
> JBJ (4920) wrote:
>

>> I am trying out different systems, to find the ones I like, so if I find
>> one then it goes on the shelf and I try other ones. In the meantime I'm
>> using my laptop for mail and news. Thats why!
> Don't even bother to reply to posters who are OCD on "headers" and what
> newsreader you are using. Perhaps they do not have a job, so they do not
> know that a person must post on whatever is available at work.

Come to think of it, it may well be that the poster in question believes
that employees of a company that doesn't allow Linux shouldn't be
cruising Linux newsgroups while on the job. When at work, they should be
*working*.

And I would have to agree. At the same time, I recognize that a break
now and then increases productivity, so were I to employ somebody and
give him or her a computer to use at work, I would allow a limited
amount of personal stuff to go on, as long as it was legal and not
damaging to the company. And I would inform said employee from the start
that there is no such thing as "privacy" on the company's computers,
just in case they believe otherwise.

But then, I would also have Linux as the company's primary OS, so
there'd be no reason to cruise a Linux newsgroup with a non-Linux OS.

TJ