From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 13 July 2010 14:57 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
TJ wrote...

> On 07/12/2010 11:39 AM, sctvguy1 wrote:
>
>> JBJ (4920) wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying out different systems, to find the ones I like, so if I
>>> find one then it goes on the shelf and I try other ones. In the
>>> meantime I'm using my laptop for mail and news. Thats why!
>>
>> Don't even bother to reply to posters who are OCD on "headers" and
>> what newsreader you are using. Perhaps they do not have a job, so
>> they do not know that a person must post on whatever is available at
>> work.
>
> Come to think of it, it may well be that the poster in question
> believes that employees of a company that doesn't allow Linux
> shouldn't be cruising Linux newsgroups while on the job. When at work,
> they should be *working*.

That is something which the poster you are referring to has indeed
already literally stated.

> And I would have to agree. At the same time, I recognize that a break
> now and then increases productivity, so were I to employ somebody and
> give him or her a computer to use at work, I would allow a limited
> amount of personal stuff to go on, as long as it was legal and not
> damaging to the company. And I would inform said employee from the
> start that there is no such thing as "privacy" on the company's
> computers, just in case they believe otherwise.

I would agree with all of the above, and I would also add that there is
always the possibility of the scenario where a person may need to
resort to using the computer infrastructure at his employer's in order
to access the internet (during e.g. a break) because they'd have no
internet at home. Such a scenario, albeit rare, does exist.

> But then, I would also have Linux as the company's primary OS, so
> there'd be no reason to cruise a Linux newsgroup with a non-Linux OS.

That is one option. The other option, if the company's management
wishes to stick to Windows, is to use something more robust and secure
than Windows Mail - which I think is the new name for what would
previously have been called Outlook Express.

Even those who wish to post from Windows - whether at home or from the
job floor - or just send and receive e-mails on Windows should at the
very least use a more secure mail-/newsreader. Most of the software
available on GNU/Linux - and I'm not just talking of mail, news or
webbrowsing - is also available in a variant for Windows and is as such
a lot more stable, a lot more secure and a lot more interoperable than
any of the proprietary toy application components Windows ships with.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: J G Miller on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:45:04 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> I also find it perverse that hardware should be developed especially
> *for* Windows

It is a cosy cartel arrangement between Microsoft Corporation and certain
hardware manufacturers.

The scenario each time is

A) New version of Windoze needs higher hardware specification to
run its bloatware as well as taking advantage of newer hardware
features to provide new fancy effects.

B) Hardware manufacturers know that Windoze PCs are a guaranteed
mass market so provide "made for Windoze" hardware with
Windoze only drivers.

It is a win-win situation for Microsoft and those hardware
manufacturers who are prepared to collude with Microsoft.
From: TJ on
On 07/13/2010 06:23 PM, JBJ (4920) wrote:
> "TJ" <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> skrev i meddelelsen

>>> Don't even bother to reply to posters who are OCD on "headers" and what
>>> newsreader you are using. Perhaps they do not have a job, so they do not
>>> know that a person must post on whatever is available at work.
>>
>> Most amusing, but rather unfair.
>>
>> Perhaps he's self-employed. The poster in question advised me that I
>> should get a job a few months ago, so I could afford better hardware.
>> I've been self-employed since the age of 12 - nearly fifty years - and
>> have no intention of trading the advantages of that for the nebulous
>> security of a regular paycheck.
>>
>> His posts indicate he's as hide-bound in his way as I am in mine.
>> Possibly worse.
>>

> TJ what are you talking about??? I have not written with you before, and
> I certiantly don't write like that to people.

I apologize for the confusion. I wasn't talking about you. sctvguy was
referring to a poster that has a spell whenever somebody posts to a
Linux newsgroup using a non-Linux OS. So was I. Apparently, you have
that not-to-be-named poster killfiled (no doubt an excellent strategy)
and you didn't see his response to your post, so neither my nor
sctvguy's replies made any sense.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 14 July 2010 02:05 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
J G Miller wrote...

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:45:04 +0200, Aragorn wrote:
>>
>> I also find it perverse that hardware should be developed especially
>> *for* Windows
>
> It is a cosy cartel arrangement between Microsoft Corporation and
> certain hardware manufacturers.
>
> The scenario each time is
>
> A) New version of Windoze needs higher hardware specification to
> run its bloatware as well as taking advantage of newer hardware
> features to provide new fancy effects.
>
> B) Hardware manufacturers know that Windoze PCs are a guaranteed
> mass market so provide "made for Windoze" hardware with
> Windoze only drivers.
>
> It is a win-win situation for Microsoft and those hardware
> manufacturers who are prepared to collude with Microsoft.

You are absolutely correct, Sir! This has also always been my
assessment, and I have stated this a number of times when engaging in
GNU/Linux advocacy towards the Windroids.

What astounds me the most in matters such as this is that people remain
blind to the evidence even if it is right in front of their noses. And
that conclusion does not hold much promise for the future of the human
species. Most of the time, any other mammal would be more intelligent.
<grin>

From: JBJ (4920) on
> On 07/13/2010 06:23 PM, JBJ (4920) wrote:
>> "TJ" <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> skrev i meddelelsen

>>> Most amusing, but rather unfair.
>>>
>>> Perhaps he's self-employed. The poster in question advised me that I
>>> should get a job a few months ago, so I could afford better hardware.
>>> I've been self-employed since the age of 12 - nearly fifty years - and
>>> have no intention of trading the advantages of that for the nebulous
>>> security of a regular paycheck.
>>>
>>> His posts indicate he's as hide-bound in his way as I am in mine.
>>> Possibly worse.
>>>

>> TJ what are you talking about??? I have not written with you before, and
>> I certiantly don't write like that to people.
>>

> I apologize for the confusion. I wasn't talking about you. sctvguy was
> referring to a poster that has a spell whenever somebody posts to a Linux
> newsgroup using a non-Linux OS. So was I. Apparently, you have that
> not-to-be-named poster killfiled (no doubt an excellent strategy) and you
> didn't see his response to your post, so neither my nor sctvguy's replies
> made any sense.
>
> TJ
> --
> Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
> Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.

Well I now know who you are talking about and he is flaaming other people
when they dare ask questions about Linux, if they are wriiting from windows
it makes it even worse. I believe the person is suffering from some kind of
mental illness and can't help himself so therefore I just filter his posts.

--

Mvh / with kind regards

JBJ (4920)