From: Sheng Jiang [MVP] on
Yes, kinda, licensed from BCG Soft's MFC extension library.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The only other point is that it has the single worst example of "help" I've ever had the
misfortune to be subjected to!

We can only hope that this will be fixed in the future. As it is, it is essentially a
joke help system.

It has no index and no table of contents! At least in the RC version, which is what I'm
using.
joe

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:53:21 -0400, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>I am about to finally *commit* product porting and new development
>under VS20xx. Currently have VS2005 and successfully recompiled all
>our projects and MFC applications. 139 of 150 projects in total where
>moved over. But we never felt good to release it as an update.
>
>About VS2010, we definitely going to upgrade to it, and I heard it is
>the "new VC6 (VS98)" - that excited me. I am not like going to waste
>time downloading the RC and go thru any hassles installing it.
>
>Can people with VS2010 now tell me about about their experiences and
>reality? Such as:
>
>I didn't like the class wizard in VS2005. Is it better?
>
>What about controls? Was the property editor extended to better
>support extended aspects with controls (less sub-classing requirements))?
>
>One of the reasons I didn't want to commit to VS20xx compile based
>product packaging and distribution was based of new OS and different
>flavors of OS SxS and manifest stuff.
>
>The beauty of having a product under VC6 was that it was design purely
>for WIN32 and never had to worry about the version of windows users
>had. That seem to change now.
>
>So I guess, the deeper questions and answers I see is what are the
>"new got yas," if any?
>
>Thanks
>
>PS: What is WPF overall? A new GUI foundation? Do you recommend WPF
>over MFC?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: H Brydon on

"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> [...]
> > And nobody has mentioned "managed C++".
>
> I think "Managed C++" is deprecated (it was since VS2005, IIRC).
> With VS2005 they introduced C++/CLI. However, I think that it is good only
> to build bridges between native code and managed code, e.g. to wrap some
> native code libraries and expose them to C#.

I use it the other way around. I have an unmanaged MFC app that I made
C++/CLI so that I could write some new features using System::XML (which may
or may not be later used by a C# app - this avoids some duplicate effort).
The plan is to migrate the entire MFC app to managed. I have found that MFC
and CLI are getting easier to intermingle. VS2002/2003 was dang near
impossible.

From: David Ching on
"H Brydon" <HBrydon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I use it the other way around. I have an unmanaged MFC app that I made
> C++/CLI so that I could write some new features using System::XML (which
> may
> or may not be later used by a C# app - this avoids some duplicate effort).
> The plan is to migrate the entire MFC app to managed. I have found that
> MFC
> and CLI are getting easier to intermingle. VS2002/2003 was dang near
> impossible.

In VC2005, C++/CLI was a first class .NET client, same status as VB and C#
in terms of creating .NET desktop clients. Subsequently in VC2008 (and now
in VC2010), MS declared C++/CLI to be focused on interop between native and
managed, the idea is the UI is managed and written in C#, the C++/CLI
provides any data from existing C++ libraries. As such, support for
creating managed UI from C++/CLI is deprecated, although perhaps calling BCL
things like System::XML still works. At any rate, be careful when talking
about managed UI with C++/CLI.

-- David