From: Hector Santos on
I am about to finally *commit* product porting and new development
under VS20xx. Currently have VS2005 and successfully recompiled all
our projects and MFC applications. 139 of 150 projects in total where
moved over. But we never felt good to release it as an update.

About VS2010, we definitely going to upgrade to it, and I heard it is
the "new VC6 (VS98)" - that excited me. I am not like going to waste
time downloading the RC and go thru any hassles installing it.

Can people with VS2010 now tell me about about their experiences and
reality? Such as:

I didn't like the class wizard in VS2005. Is it better?

What about controls? Was the property editor extended to better
support extended aspects with controls (less sub-classing requirements))?

One of the reasons I didn't want to commit to VS20xx compile based
product packaging and distribution was based of new OS and different
flavors of OS SxS and manifest stuff.

The beauty of having a product under VC6 was that it was design purely
for WIN32 and never had to worry about the version of windows users
had. That seem to change now.

So I guess, the deeper questions and answers I see is what are the
"new got yas," if any?

Thanks

PS: What is WPF overall? A new GUI foundation? Do you recommend WPF
over MFC?

--
HLS
From: Woody on
I have seen a lot of bugs in RC1, and, it is slow. Also, it suffers
from feature bloat. No matter which technologies you are using, there
will be 10 others that you will never want, that just clutter things
up. The help system is practically non-functional.

I've had lots of problems importing projects from VS6 and VS2005.
Since the project file format has changed, all solutions and projects
must be converted (and you can't go back).

The download and installation process is pretty simple; you just burn
an ISO CD and then do an install. There were bugs in the betas, but
these seem to have been fixed in the RC. If you do an install, be sure
to use a machine that isn't needed for VS production, as your default
VS will become VS2010.
From: Ajay Kalra on

> PS:  What is WPF overall? A new GUI foundation? Do you recommend WPF
> over MFC?

WPF will take you away from managed world to .Net, which is managed.
WinForms and now WPF are available in .Net and obviate the need to use
MFC in .Net world. In general, you would not use MFC in .Net, unless
you have a very good reason to do so(existing controls which you dont
want to migrate to .net).

--
Ajay
From: Hector Santos on
Ajay Kalra wrote:

>> PS: What is WPF overall? A new GUI foundation? Do you recommend WPF
>> over MFC?
>>

> WPF will take you away from managed world to .Net, which is managed.
> WinForms and now WPF are available in .Net and obviate the need to use
> MFC in .Net world. In general, you would not use MFC in .Net, unless
> you have a very good reason to do so(existing controls which you dont
> want to migrate to .net).

Thanks for the clear explanation. Whats the difference from WPF and
WinForms.

Would you say that MS is merging the .NET technologies anyway for MFC
based code once compiled under VS2005 and more so with VS2010?

In other words, does a distribution for a VS2010 recompiled MFC applet
with no explicit action on my part to include WPF/WINFORM, will it
still required some level of .NET to be installed on a end-user machine?

For example, when I was playing with this OCX CTabStrip a few days
ago, I noticed without further investigating or testing it as a
standalone that it was loading .NET system dll.

This has been one of my concerns and not getting committed to VS2005
development and staying with VS98 for my products until we are really
to full commit to the new GUI foundation and/or .NET. I didn't want to
get caught with MS ever increasing nature of indirect hooking into
more managed and centralized sub-system for our customers, at least
not yet. Now we are more ready to do so - or not be too concern about
it. The market is more ready for it.

Is it safe to say that if I include and OCX/COM into the MFC package,
there will be some managed sub-system requirement when its recompiled
under VS2010?

--
HLS
From: Ajay Kalra on
On Mar 29, 3:54 pm, Hector Santos <sant9...(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the clear explanation.   Whats the difference from WPF and
> WinForms.

WinForms came originally with .Net. WPF is the newer framework.
WinForms is now essentially not going to see enhancements(it will be
still part of .net).

> Would you say that MS is merging the .NET technologies anyway for MFC
> based code once compiled under VS2005 and more so with VS2010?

That happened long ago. Users who use MFC, dont typically use .Net .

> In other words, does a distribution for a VS2010 recompiled MFC applet
> with no explicit action on my part to include WPF/WINFORM, will it
> still required some level of .NET to be installed on a end-user machine?

No. A pure MFC app has no dependency on .Net.

> For example, when I was playing with this OCX CTabStrip a few days
> ago, I noticed without further investigating or testing it as a
> standalone that it was loading .NET system dll.

Then there is something worng. You shouldnt be depending upon .net if
you are pure MFC. It has nothing to do with VS2005 or VS2010. You
should identify by running Depends etc as to why do you have this
dependency.

--
Ajay