From: David Ching on
"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it safe to say that if I include and OCX/COM into the MFC package,
> there will be some managed sub-system requirement when its recompiled
> under VS2010?

No, .NET is not required for MFC apps in VS2010. VS2010 has the VC6-style
ClassWizard, a welcome-back addition. It also has Windows 7-oriented
enhancements to MFC. And an MFC ribbon designer (for the ribbon that
debuted in VS2008 Feature Pack). None of which make MFC a particularly good
productive or modern framework to develop in this decade, but it's still the
best MFC to date.

-- David

From: David Ching on
> I am about to finally *commit* product porting and new development under
> VS20xx. Currently have VS2005 and successfully recompiled all our
> projects and MFC applications. 139 of 150 projects in total where moved
> over. But we never felt good to release it as an update.
>
> About VS2010, we definitely going to upgrade to it, and I heard it is the
> "new VC6 (VS98)" - that excited me. I am not like going to waste time
> downloading the RC and go thru any hassles installing it.
>
> Can people with VS2010 now tell me about about their experiences and
> reality? Such as:
>
> I didn't like the class wizard in VS2005. Is it better?

It's like the one from VS6.

> What about controls? Was the property editor extended to better support
> extended aspects with controls (less sub-classing requirements))?

No. MFC remains a thin layer on the common controls.

> One of the reasons I didn't want to commit to VS20xx compile based product
> packaging and distribution was based of new OS and different flavors of OS
> SxS and manifest stuff.

They took out the manifest stuff (at least relating to CRT redists) so it is
now like VS6 in that regard. The CRT/MFC/ATL redists aren't manifested
anymore, there is no SxS installation of these anymore. So it is back to
DLL hell, for these. But just sticking them into your .exe folder works
without any additional work now.

> The beauty of having a product under VC6 was that it was design purely for
> WIN32 and never had to worry about the version of windows users had. That
> seem to change now.

What do you mean? Even VS 6 you still had to set _WIN32_IE, _WINVER, etc.
correctly. This is still the case.

> So I guess, the deeper questions and answers I see is what are the "new
> got yas," if any?

The IDE is slightly slower than VS2008, so you need a beefy machine to run
it. Build times are pretty quick.

> Thanks
>
> PS: What is WPF overall? A new GUI foundation? Do you recommend WPF over
> MFC?

MFC is a GUI framework, requiring Windows. WPF is a GUI framework requiring
..NET. WinForms is another GUI framework requiring .NET.

WPF is the newest one, and now there is starting to become available decent
books on the subject, so you have a hope of mastering the steep learning
curve. (WinForms is very similar to MFC, both use HWND's, but WPF is very
different.) I favor Apress books "WPF Illustrated" and "WPF Recipes in C#
2008".

In addition, WPF is a superset of Silverlight, which is how you program the
recently announced Windows Phone (which replaces Windows Mobile). So for
career longevity, learning WPF/Silverlight is inevitable. Now that Windows
7 ships with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, the preinstalled base of .NET is
growing considerably in the mainstream. While this doesn't help if you want
to target .NET 4.0, .NET is in general becoming very attractive.

-- David

From: Hector Santos on
Ajay Kalra wrote:

>> In other words, does a distribution for a VS2010 recompiled MFC applet
>> with no explicit action on my part to include WPF/WINFORM, will it
>> still required some level of .NET to be installed on a end-user machine?
>
> No. A pure MFC app has no dependency on .Net.
>
>> For example, when I was playing with this OCX CTabStrip a few days
>> ago, I noticed without further investigating or testing it as a
>> standalone that it was loading .NET system dll.
>
> Then there is something worng. You shouldnt be depending upon .net if
> you are pure MFC. It has nothing to do with VS2005 or VS2010. You
> should identify by running Depends etc as to why do you have this
> dependency.

OK, so the bottom line, VS2010 does not add .NET dependency to "pure"
MFC applications.

Ok, thanks, I can go on without worrying about it. ;)

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
David Ching wrote:

> "Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it safe to say that if I include and OCX/COM into the MFC package,
>> there will be some managed sub-system requirement when its recompiled
>> under VS2010?
>>

> No, .NET is not required for MFC apps in VS2010. VS2010 has the
> VC6-style ClassWizard, a welcome-back addition.

Yes, that excites me.

> It also has Windows
> 7-oriented enhancements to MFC. And an MFC ribbon designer (for the
> ribbon that debuted in VS2008 Feature Pack). None of which make MFC a
> particularly good productive or modern framework to develop in this
> decade, but it's still the best MFC to date.

OK, so the "extra" controls, that is still pure MFC? or OCX/COM?

--
HLS
From: Ajay Kalra on
On Mar 29, 4:45 pm, Hector Santos <sant9...(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
> Ajay Kalra wrote:
> >> In other words, does a distribution for a VS2010 recompiled MFC applet
> >> with no explicit action on my part to include WPF/WINFORM, will it
> >> still required some level of .NET to be installed on a end-user machine?
>
> > No. A pure MFC app has no dependency on .Net.
>
> >> For example, when I was playing with this OCX CTabStrip a few days
> >> ago, I noticed without further investigating or testing it as a
> >> standalone that it was loading .NET system dll.
>
> > Then there is something worng. You shouldnt be depending upon .net if
> > you are pure MFC. It has nothing to do with VS2005 or VS2010. You
> > should identify by running Depends etc as to why do you have this
> > dependency.
>
> OK, so the bottom line, VS2010 does not add .NET dependency to "pure"
> MFC applications.

That has been the case since day one. Regardless of what VS you use,
MFC app by default will not have any .Net dependency.

--
Ajay