From: Ajay Kalra on
On Mar 30, 1:42 pm, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
> I just worked on another complete .NET application and since it was very
> file system intensive I had to resort to pInvoking all sorts of Win32
> functions since the .NET System.IO implementation can't support file paths
> longer than 260 chars.  Sure, Windows supports it,  Win32 supports it, but I
> guess the .NET architects thought they didn't need to.   So far I haven't
> been able to do any C# programming without calling on Win32 functions
> directly.
>
> I don't find the GUI editor to be that much better either.  I do like how
> some things, like font settings, are settable in the properties, but other
> than some conveniences like that, I don't see the big deal.

I have been doing GUI development with .Net for 4+ years. Number of
times I had to resort to Pinvoke: 0. I am sure there are cases which
are valid. I also dont consider this as a major weakness. Its not
something which is done every day.

I have no idea about editor. Thats the same for both, managed and
unmanaged and is a non issue. What matters is .Net framework. .Net
development is light years ahead of what MFC/Win32 is(even today). No
comparison. What I find odd is that this needs to be even talked
about.

--
Ajay

From: Ajay Kalra on
On Mar 30, 1:47 pm, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
> I still don't think  you can do managed code without unmanaged code being
> included.  With all of the library support .NET has it is still lacking in
> some of the basics (like interface to DirectShow/DirectX for  example).
>
> I haven't done any WPF, but I've heard from people that I respect that it's
> not all it's advertised to be either.

Again may be specific to your needs, we do absolutely no unmanaged
programming, or C++ for that matter, C# is the way to go if you are
unmanaged.

--
Ajay
From: Tom Serface on
Yes, the application we are doing is very dependent on file system access.
I also had to grab icons from files and get thumbnails of video and image
files (even some types that GDI+ doesn't support). I confess that it was
different then the typical "access my database" application.

Tom

From: Goran on
On Mar 30, 7:42 pm, "Tom Serface" <t...(a)camaswood.com> wrote:
> I just worked on another complete .NET application and since it was very
> file system intensive I had to resort to pInvoking all sorts of Win32
> functions since the .NET System.IO implementation can't support file paths
> longer than 260 chars.

Bloody hell, as a Brit would say! Out of curiosity, and if you don't
mind, what's the problem!? (You can point me to the offending IL if
that's easiest).

Goran.
From: Mihai N. on

> In 2010, VS2010 IDE is written in WPF.

Not the whole thing, but most of the main Windows, and the code editor.

> And, as David pointed out, new mobile devices (which should represent a
> growing market) use managed GUI technologies like Silverlight.

As a result we will have not Opera, no Firefox, and possible no Flash on
the new mobile devices (unless MS decides to make some exceptions).

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net