From: Ajay Kalra on

> When I first read him say this, I suspected maybe its a unicode vs
> mbcs thing.

In .Net this issue doesnt exist.

--
Ajay
From: Pete Delgado on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Pete Delgado" <Peter.Delgado(a)NoSpam.com> wrote in message

> What kind of apps are you developing and using such that you think Windows
> Phone promotes "toy applications"? I would not think it promotes toy or
> not toy applications, it gives you great hardware and a great programming
> environment. Whether you use it to make toy apps or not toy apps is up to
> you. (And don't say anything with animation in it is a "toy", that's not
> what we're talking about.)

I currently have a platform management application that integrates with
pocket outlook written in native code as well as various utilities and a
framework for use with pocket outlook. I was getting ready to port an
application that would integrate with our Teamcenter suite that would allow
customers to view BOMs on their Windows Mobile devices. While there are some
tools that can be ported or re-architected to work on the new platform, it
becomes a lot of work!

While the new phone specs beefs up the hardware, if my applications must be
managed code, I suspect there will be things that are difficult if not
impossible to do.

> From what I've seen, developing Silverlight apps is way cooler than
> writing Objective C apps, so Microsoft may yet win this race by having
> better apps than iPhone.

Cooler does not necessarily equal better! ;-)

-Pete

From: Pete Delgado on

"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Plus, I really resent asking Apple or MS for permission to
> install *MY* applications on *MY* device.

I totally agree with that!

-Pete

From: Mihai N. on

> But I would guess the majority of iPhone apps are iPhone-only,
> and the authors are perfectly fine with that.
> Similar with Win Phone apps, I would think.

This is just a guess.
But there are many applications that have common code.
Just mentioned browsers, and few others.

> Anyway, I agree Apple has too much control and has screwed a minority
> of the
> developers. But this is no reason to boycott a device that has such
> potential to make us $.

It is not only about developers. As a user I want to install whatever
I feel like it. And I don't want Apple to know. Just because.
Not because I do something wrong or illegal, but because it is *my* device.

So yes, for me it is a reason enough to buycott.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

[David]
>>> For the past three years, it's been very difficult for me to find
>>> Win32/MFC
>>> jobs here in the Bay Area. Mostly all the job ads for Windows client
>>> want
>>> at least some .NET experience, and most of them are interested ONLY in
>>> .NET.
>>> C++ is still used for cross platform or embedded, but then we are not
>>> talking about Windows. And it's not just me. I have former colleagues
>>> who
>>> have been programming MFC (and MFC only) for the last decade who are now
>>> having difficulty being attractive in the job market.

[Ajay]
>> This has been my experience as well. When we hire for GUI, we only
>> look for .Net. (C++ isnt even looked at). I havent seen a MFC job
>> opening in years.It has been nothing but .Net for a long while.

[Hector]
> It really all depends on where you are looking. There are plenty of
> definitely MFC, C/C++ jobs availability. But keep in mind, these tend to
> demand more salary, more systems level experience.

My impression and experience match with Ajay's and David's ones.
Where are those plenty of MFC jobs?

And it happens sometimes that when you propose to do a project in C++, they
tend to answer that it is harder to find C++ programmers for maintainance
work (kind of: "When you go away, who will maintain your code?").

Also, you may find this blog post by Larry Osterman to be interesting:

http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2009/10/20/looking-for-new-skillz-turning-the-blog-around.aspx

<quote>
Just for giggles, I went looking at the various job listings within
Microsoft and outside Microsoft (no, I'm not going anywhere, I was just
curious). While looking, I realized that I had absolutely no marketable
skills :). Nobody seems to be hiring an OS developer these days.
</quote>

> Thats one of the issues we have in committing to .NET languages. We have
> already have a huge investment C/C++, MFC and in additional libraries,
> methods, classes, API, a good bit of it designed for speed, low overhead.
> This was a very important part in the lower cost development behind
> reusability.

This is the case of existing C++ codebase to be maintained and evolved; of
course, in cases like this, it makes more sense to evolve current C++ code,
than redesigning, rewriting, retesting and redocumenting in .NET :)
I think that big important companies like Microsoft or Adobe that have huge
C++ codebases tend to maintain and evolve them in C++ (not e.g. rewriting
Office or Photoshop in C#!).
But what about *new* projects?

Giovanni