From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:54:47 -0400, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> And a lot of the iPhone coolness comes from utterly cool graphics, and I'm not
>
> > really an utterly cool graphics wizard.
>
>Not our generation buddy. :) Its required a different mind set.
>I've had people who were completely lost to traditional programming
>ideas, but give them a tool to do graphics - and POOF - blow you away.
> Makes you wonder if Logo (Turtle Graphics) was something they were
>trained on. :)
>
>If you want to see where Microsoft is headed, over the weekend I read
>up on Microsoft Surface
>
>Joe, you got to read this document on the new NUI "Natural User
>Interface" guidelines and recommendations, not CUI, but NUI. :)
>
>It was fascinating reading on designing new products based on
>Multi-touch technology and communicating which I feel was a "Dumbing
>down world of Users."
*****
Back in 1989-1990 I worked on a multitouch user interface.

It has only take 20 years for it to go mainstream

It also means that almost none of the multitouch or gesture recognition is patentable;
Paul MacAvinney filed most of the patents on those techniques in the late 1980s-early
1990s, and all have expired. So there's nothing left to patent in this area.

To my great disappointment, most of the so-callled "multitouch" tablets do NOT support
"multitouch" but "double touch"--they only recognize two fingers. This is terminally
stupid. Sadly, in most cases the tablets, at the lowest level, recognize multiple fingers
but lobotomize the data by throwing away data about other than the corner fingers of a
bounding rectangle. This thows away the data I want to use to build really interesting
interfaces! Been there, done that, want to do it again, but the information I'm able to
get from the tablets is artificially crippled because of a terminal lack of imagination of
the designers!

The Surface information suggests there is a surface product that is available, but there
are no links as to where I can find one or what it will cost.
joe
****

>Here is the designer document (for project leaders, managers,
>developers, not programmers):
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=38cc76f1-4a16-4c13-9740-c34dbb5c3012
>
>The main pages are:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/Pages/Technical/Learn.aspx?pf=true
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee804845(v=Surface.10).aspx
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> It also means that almost none of the multitouch or gesture recognition is patentable;
> Paul MacAvinney filed most of the patents on those techniques in the late 1980s-early
> 1990s, and all have expired. So there's nothing left to patent in this area.

With the new 1996 patent timeline, without researching, I won't be
surprise if Apple has re-patented it all. :)

Let me do a quick search, HA! A taiwan company just sued APPLE!

http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-sued-over-multi-touch-company-seeks-to-block-iphone-and-ipad-imports

Here's the 7,274,353 patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=xmiEAAAAEBAJ&dq=7,274,353

But APPLE probably ignored it and patented their own:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=dCKzAAAAEBAJ&dq=7,479,949

And then some.

Dude, Apple patented the PINCH! <g>

--
HLS
From: Les Neilson on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

> Can people with VS2010 now tell me about about their experiences and
> reality?

Also can anyone tell me : does VS2010 allow debugging of mixed (managed and
unmanaged) 64-bit code on a 64-bit platform?
Currently it seems VS2008 only allows mixed debugging of 32 bit code. If I
select "debug unmanaged code" in the configuration panel of a 64-bit app
solution I get a dialog telling me mixed debugging is not supported on the
64-bit platform.

Les

From: Hector Santos on
Good question Les!

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I do know that the patent holders of those early gesture patents have been asked to
testify as expert witnesses in "prior art" investigations to invalidate the new
gestrure-recognition patents. I was using those gesture systems in 1990 and can attest
that they existed! In fact, I wrote code that reacted to those gestures! So there is
nothing new to patent as far as gesture recognition.

One of the "smartphones" sold in Europe has the two-finger "zoom" that iPhone has, but the
company does not sell that product in the U.S. (the U.S. versions of their smartphone have
this feature deliberately crippled, apparently to avoid any conflict with Apple; but we
had that gesture in our software in 1990!). However, there are free downloads where you
can get the code to implement this feature and therefore you can have it on your phone. It
might be the Droid, but I no longer recall (at one table at a recent meeting, I was the
only one who didn't have a smartphone! And the only one who could legally enter military
sites, courtrooms, and secure industrial sites because my phone also doesn't have a
camera, which is why I have such a phone)
joe

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:40:08 -0400, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> It also means that almost none of the multitouch or gesture recognition is patentable;
>> Paul MacAvinney filed most of the patents on those techniques in the late 1980s-early
>> 1990s, and all have expired. So there's nothing left to patent in this area.
>

>With the new 1996 patent timeline, without researching, I won't be
>surprise if Apple has re-patented it all. :)
>
>Let me do a quick search, HA! A taiwan company just sued APPLE!
>
>http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-sued-over-multi-touch-company-seeks-to-block-iphone-and-ipad-imports
****
Note that this is a technology patent on a method of detecting multiple touches; it does
not patent gesture recognition. The systems I used did the multitouch detection using
optical methods.
****