From: Pete Delgado on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Well, you definitely will be able to load apps through Visual Studio!
>>> ;)
>>
>> Really? I don't care about the emulator.
>>

> You have to be able to transfer your app to the phone in order to debug
> it!

You *must* be a registered developer which requires a $99 annual fee at this
time. In addition, you must comply with the prover agreement.

http://developer.windowsphone.com/Signup-Create-Account.aspx

After you are a registered developer, you can then register and install on
specific devices without going through Marketplace.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7series/thread/2892a6f0-ab26-48d6-b63c-e38f62eda3b3

Application Installation

How do I install applications on my device?
Applications will automatically be installed when downloaded from
MarketPlace.

Can I manually install applications without using the MarketPlace?
No, "side-loading" applications is not permitted. The only way to get
released applications on your device is through MarketPlace.

How can I test my application on a device if I can't install it?
As a registered developer, you will be able to register some devices that
you can directly deploy your application to for testing. It is not necessary
to publish your application to MarketPlace just to test it.

My application is for my company / specific group of people only, how do I
distribute the app only to them on MarketPlace?
The MarketPlace does not currently have the ability to provide locked-off
areas for private applications. Other than a few key exceptions for Mobile
Operators, there is no way to gate your application to a specific group of
people or devices at this time.

From: Pete Delgado on

"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anyway, I will stop here.
> I do believe that Windows and Microsoft in general benefited greatly
> from being developer friendly.
> And restricting what developers can do is a bad move, especially
> when you are the underdog.

The $99 annual entry fee combined with the fact that I must share my profits
(30%) with Microsoft really makes me angry. While Microsoft does add value
with the Marketplace, I think that the $99 fee combined with a small
per-unit sales fee should be sufficient.

Looking at the service agreement:
https://developer.windowsphone.com/resources/en-US/Windows%20Marketplace%20Application%20Provider%20Agreement.pdf

Notice that:

1. You must pay to have your application certified by a Microsoft provider
which means even more $$
2. Microsoft has no obligation to distribute your app.
3. Microsoft reserves the right to remove your app from Marketplace and
*disable* previously downloaded copies!

So an individual developer could potentially develop an app that competes
with a MS product and MS has every legal right to NOT distribute your app.
They can also "recall" your app and your users can have the app taken away
from them even after they have purchased it!!!

> Apple has the army of funboys that will do whatever Steve tells
> them is the right thing.
> And they would throw away Objective C and rewrite their applications
> from scratch in Ruby, if Steve sais that's the next Apple thing.

Apple has people willing to put up with the Apple's business model. With the
emergence of Android as a viable development platform, I suspect that
Microsoft will lose their developer edge and thus some marketshare.
Certainly there will be a majority of users for who the availability of apps
and the ability to develop for the device is not a big deal, but for the
independant software developer this could be the end of Windows Mobile
development.

-Pete

From: Hector Santos on
Hey pete, send me your email address, remove the nospam from my address :)

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 01:58:44 -0700, "Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Anyway, I will stop here.
>I do believe that Windows and Microsoft in general benefited greatly
>from being developer friendly.
****
We saw what happened when IBM chared $3000/seat for OS/2 development kits.
OS/2 became the universal operating system on every desktop.

And something that really hurt apple was when I could do source-level debugging in Windows
(CodeView), I could only do assembly-code debugging of my compiled code on the Mac!

This discouraged all but the most sophisticated and determined developers (of which I was
one) from building apps for the Mac, and hurt the acceptance of the Mac. The closed
hardware architecture didn't help.
****
>And restricting what developers can do is a bad move, especially
>when you are the underdog.
>
>Apple has the army of funboys that will do whatever Steve tells
>them is the right thing.
>And they would throw away Objective C and rewrite their applications
>from scratch in Ruby, if Steve sais that's the next Apple thing.
****
Objective C became popular only because the NeXt machine used it, because it was more
mature than C++ in the late 1980s and actually had reliable compilers and runtimes. C++
did not become popular until the mid-90s when we got really reliable compilers and
runtimes (read the bug reports on the early Zortech and Borland C++ compilers, for
example, or the service pack announcements of what bugs were fixed; the huge bug lists
discouraged adoption of C++ for many serious programmers). I've been told by many people
that "Objective C is like C++, only weird" and that there is a serious learning curve for
a C++ programmer to move to Objective C, NOT including learning a whole new set of
libraries. I've toyed with the idea of iPhone development, but have not been motivated
enough to learn how to do it, or to buy an iPhone and write code for it. And a lot of the
iPhone coolness comes from utterly cool graphics, and I'm not really an utterly cool
graphics wizard.

But programming a Windows 7 phone? WIthout multitasking or without a clipboard? Why would
I want such a product in the first place? As I see it, the two major players in 5 years
are going to be the iPhone (who needs a crystal ball to predict the obvious) and Droid,
because Windows 7 phone doesn't offer enough to win me over. My old PDA had copy/paste
and I used it a lot, because having a handheld device I can use to write stories is
important to me.
joe
****
joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> And a lot of the iPhone coolness comes from utterly cool graphics, and I'm not

> really an utterly cool graphics wizard.

Not our generation buddy. :) Its required a different mind set.
I've had people who were completely lost to traditional programming
ideas, but give them a tool to do graphics - and POOF - blow you away.
Makes you wonder if Logo (Turtle Graphics) was something they were
trained on. :)

If you want to see where Microsoft is headed, over the weekend I read
up on Microsoft Surface

Joe, you got to read this document on the new NUI "Natural User
Interface" guidelines and recommendations, not CUI, but NUI. :)

It was fascinating reading on designing new products based on
Multi-touch technology and communicating which I feel was a "Dumbing
down world of Users."

Here is the designer document (for project leaders, managers,
developers, not programmers):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=38cc76f1-4a16-4c13-9740-c34dbb5c3012

The main pages are:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/Pages/Technical/Learn.aspx?pf=true