From: Leythos on
In article <ux#d058xKHA.3536(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Joseph@ no spam
says...
> And that's why I was considering MSE

I have seen nothing to give me reason to believe that MS can protect
their OS any better than they cold before - MSE does not appear to be
the best solution.

Trust yourself.
From: ~BD~ on
Leythos wrote:
> In article<ux#d058xKHA.3536(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Joseph@ no spam
> says...
>> And that's why I was considering MSE
>>

> I have seen nothing to give me reason to believe that MS can protect
> their OS any better than they could before - MSE does not appear to be
> the best solution.

Should we assume that you have read at all the links posted by 'Johnw'?
...... one of which says:-

Quote:

"Anti-malware testing group AV-Comparatives.org not only gave Microsoft
Security Essentials a top rating for malware removal, but now they've
given it their best ranking in their performance test as well.

AV-Comparatives.org ran a series of real-world tests running through
common scenarios like downloading, extracting, copying, and encoding
files, installing and launching applications, and they also ran through
an automated testing suite as well. Once the dust had settled, it became
clear that not only is MSE one of only three products that both blocks
and removes malware well, but it's also very light on system resources.

Out of all the products tested, Microsoft Security Essentials was the
best-performing free antivirus solution, and one of only two that
received "very fast" on each of the real-world tests, earning it their
top award: an "advanced+" ranking. We've been telling you for a while
that you don't need to pay for Windows security, and now with MSE ranked
alongside the top paid apps in both malware removal and performance, you
might want to consider making the switch."

I recognise that you have much commercial experience 'in the field'
Leythos. I'm interested to know this - what anti-malware software does
your *family* use on their computers in your *home*?

A serious question which I hope you will answer. TIA

Now a second question, if I may? Do feel there is (yet) any need to run
any kind of anti-malware programme on an Apple OS X system? If so, which
would you recommend? Again, TIA.

--
Dave
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Joseph" <Joseph@ no spam> wrote in message

> And that's why I was considering MSE, to replace 3 programs with 1

I often use an audiophile's analogy - I prefer a component system to an
integrated system because that way I can get the amplifier I want with
the preamp/graphic equalizer I want, and with the tuner, speakers,
etc...

If I buy an integrated system I am stuck with whatever components come
with it even if some of them are lacking quality in some respect.

It's just a matter of personal preference.

From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Joseph"<Joseph@ no spam> wrote in message
>
>> And that's why I was considering MSE, to replace 3 programs with 1
>
> I often use an audiophile's analogy - I prefer a component system to an
> integrated system because that way I can get the amplifier I want with
> the preamp/graphic equalizer I want, and with the tuner, speakers,
> etc...
>
> If I buy an integrated system I am stuck with whatever components come
> with it even if some of them are lacking quality in some respect.
>
> It's just a matter of personal preference.

You are correct, of course. I've tried both ways. ;)

My current integrated audio system is superb (albeit I expect my hearing
is no longer as good as once it was!)

If you were going to chose separate protection elements for use against
today's threats, FTR - which would *you* recommend as likely to provide
better protection than MSE?

--
Dave
From: ~BD~ on