From: Leythos on
In article <ho5vju$v0b$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...

> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
> >LOL, SF is the "heart of the internet"?
> >

> Uh, yes. Craigslist, SecondLife, Google, Yahoo, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook,
> Tribe, Laughing Squid, Zynga -- I'd say that these firms probably account for
> up to 80% of Internet traffic. And they're either based in SF or within 30-40
> miles of SF.
>
> It's actually very weird listen to the BBC World Service and hearing nearly
> every Web mention be of some company based here.
>
> It is unusual to meet 10 people at random and not learn that a good 30-40% are
> working for an Internet company of one kind or other. Google, Yahoo, and
> Microsoft have special regular bus services lugging their workers between
> their Peninsula campuses and worker homes in SF. In fact, neighborhood
> residents of Noe Valley (24th Street) are complaining that too many Google and
> Yahoo commute buses are clogging their streets.

Heart of the internet is not the same as having a lot of Internet
BUSINESSES. The "Heart" of the internet has nothing to do with the web,
there is SO MUCH MORE TO THE INTERNET. We just see it differently, I'm
guessing, because I was using the internet long before the first web
server was ever created.

> I have no idea where you live, but the Internet is so ubiquitous here that
> there are cafes that boast that they do NOT have wi-fi.
>
> Even people who don't work in tech know how to stay out of trouble with the
> clicks. It may just be part of our local culture now.

It's possible you work with a different age group than I do. I mostly
work with Medical and Manufacturing groups.

Trust yourself.
From: ~BD~ on
David Kaye wrote:

> Microsoft has done a lot of work toward patching up problems. A lot of the
> problem with malware now is social engineering, not drive-by payloads, and I
> don't see that there's much MS or anybody can do to fix that.

I'm not quite so sure about that, David!

> I've been doing the malware fight fulltime for over 8 years and the number of
> calls for malware help keeps going down. Today I do more networking, hardware
> repair, and component integration than I do malware removal.

Have you seriously considered that because malware has become far more
sophisticated in the last few years, many folk simply will not *realise*
that their machine has been compromised.

Maybe *that's* why you are getting fewer calls!

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>Heart of the internet is not the same as having a lot of Internet
>BUSINESSES. The "Heart" of the internet has nothing to do with the web,
>there is SO MUCH MORE TO THE INTERNET. We just see it differently, I'm
>guessing, because I was using the internet long before the first web
>server was ever created.

No, I don't have any Web prejudice. I was also using the Internet pre-Web.

By "heart of the Internet" I'm talking about USE of the Internet. Whether you
want to admit it or not, the websites I mentioned make up the bulk of the USE
of the Internet in terms of bytes sent by known entities.

A good argument can be made for bit-torrents being a great deal of Internet
traffic, but the torrents are not centralized entities, so it's hard to
consider themselves the heart of anything.

From: MEB on
On 03/22/2010 05:54 AM, David Kaye wrote:
> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
>> Heart of the internet is not the same as having a lot of Internet
>> BUSINESSES. The "Heart" of the internet has nothing to do with the web,
>> there is SO MUCH MORE TO THE INTERNET. We just see it differently, I'm
>> guessing, because I was using the internet long before the first web
>> server was ever created.
>
> No, I don't have any Web prejudice. I was also using the Internet pre-Web.
>
> By "heart of the Internet" I'm talking about USE of the Internet. Whether you
> want to admit it or not, the websites I mentioned make up the bulk of the USE
> of the Internet in terms of bytes sent by known entities.
>
> A good argument can be made for bit-torrents being a great deal of Internet
> traffic, but the torrents are not centralized entities, so it's hard to
> consider themselves the heart of anything.

I think an equally good argument could be made for the failure to
release ALL of the information of hacks, malware, and other activities
that have occurred to these major players, which has given the wrong
idea to many.
These parties appear to only admit such successful attacks when large
segments are taken down or the public notices the issue; otherwise there
is a remarkable silence, in part due to market share and other monetary
aspects.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>Overall, about 50% of all internet traffic is "Web" content, the rest is
>made up of email and private networks.

I'm wondering if this is connections or actual byte transfers. Myself, I'm
taking about byte transfers. Emails are simply not that byte intensive. But
the web pages of today usually have a bunch of jpegs, along with video and
audio content (just landing on Yahoo's home page you're subjected to a video
of some guy walking across your email to tell you about insurance). It takes
a lot of bandwidth to serve just the opening pages on a lot of sites.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.beaf
Next: New Version Trojan?