From: Leythos on
In article <ho510t$9v7$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...

> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
> >The important question is: Why would you trust Microsoft to protect the
> >computer from malware when they can't even secure ANY OS platform USED
> >BY NORMAL PEOPLE?
>
> Microsoft has done a lot of work toward patching up problems. A lot of the
> problem with malware now is social engineering, not drive-by payloads, and I
> don't see that there's much MS or anybody can do to fix that.
>
> I've been doing the malware fight fulltime for over 8 years and the number of
> calls for malware help keeps going down. Today I do more networking, hardware
> repair, and component integration than I do malware removal.

I've been providing support for many platforms for 30 years and I see
the number of malware calls increasing, dramatically, over the last
several months.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <laqdnbGMzNb05TjWnZ2dnUVZ7tSdnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
BoaterDave(a)hot.mail.co.uk says...

> Leythos wrote:
> > In article<4OqdnTkd0uHPvTjWnZ2dnUVZ8kmdnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
> > BoaterDave(a)hot.mail.co.uk says...
> >> what anti-malware software does
> >> your *family* use on their computers in your *home*?
> >
> > All of my computers as well as family and friends, and even clients,
> > have started moving to Avira from Symantec End Point Protection
> > products.
> >
> > You already know this BD, stop trolling.
> >

> I wish you'd just accept my questions for what they are. I'm *not*
> trolling! I accept that my memory isn't quite what it was!
>
> OK - if you told me before that you use Avira - fine. But isn't that
> just anti-virus? I haven't looked for a while. What about all the other
> malware that is *not* a virus?

If you've not looked in a "While", why not go look now?

> Maybe deliberately, I appreciate, you avoided my question .....
> ..... but what *is* your view regarding OS X?

Almost all of my experience is with Business systems, very little is
with HOME users system. There are very few MAC's being used in any real
work capacity in the Business Networks that we manage, they just don't
offer the same capability for the same price.

If you actually check, OSx can be rooted by simple apple scripts. Using
OSx and Safari do not keep you from danger.

Trust yourself.
From: ~BD~ on
David Kaye wrote:
> Leythos<spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
>> The important question is: Why would you trust Microsoft to protect the
>> computer from malware when they can't even secure ANY OS platform USED
>> BY NORMAL PEOPLE?
>
> Microsoft has done a lot of work toward patching up problems. A lot of the
> problem with malware now is social engineering, not drive-by payloads, and I
> don't see that there's much MS or anybody can do to fix that.
>
> I've been doing the malware fight fulltime for over 8 years and the number of
> calls for malware help keeps going down. Today I do more networking, hardware
> repair, and component integration than I do malware removal.

David,

Without wishing in any way to be rude/provocative ...... maybe today's
malware is more clever than you, and your potential clients, think!

Read this please:-

"As IT security expert Avira discovered in its moral issue survey,
conducted on www.free-av.com in January 2010, Internet users
underestimate the risk of cyber criminals gaining illegal access to
their data. The responses from the 5,578 respondents indicate that,
while they are attentive to their security, they are completely
unprepared for the ingenuity now being shown by cyber criminals. Clearly
users need to increase their vigilance and actively protect themselves
with extensive security solutions on their computers.

The survey showed that most users are fairly na�ve when it comes to
computer security. 49 percent of participating surfers (2,747) said that
they had not yet noticed any attempts at data espionage. However, the
chances of detecting illegal access are quite small unless you have
extensive security protection. After all, the days are long past when a
computer would recognize unusual behavior or lose system performance
because of a malware infection. Hackers are becoming more ingenious and
malware is being programmed with greater sophistication, using new
tricks so as to remain undetected for as long as possible. Viruses now
try to stay undercover, instead of blocking computers."

Ref:
http://www.free-av.com/en/news/69/threats_from_cyber_criminals_underestimated.html

Thing have changed dramatically in recent times!

--
Dave
From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>I disagree with your assertion about "...problem with malware now is social
> engineering,
>not drive-by payloads..." as both are high on the infection vector modes.
>
>The number of sites compramised and their code changed to host malware or
> redirect to
>sites that host malware is still high.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or not but when Shaun White won the
Olympics snowboarding competition, I went to Google Images to see some photos
of him in action. The third photo culled by Google looked good. I clicked on
it and at first the photo showed up. Then about 3 seconds later a web page
appeared with the scan ruse on it. So, Google had indexed yet another malware
site.

All I had to do was click the X box to go away and no harm was done. Many
people would not have done so, but might have clicked something inside the
page. This is where the social engineering comes in: getting people to make
that first click.

Google, to their credit, took it down the next day. I wish they'd scan the
web pages they index as well as they scan their users' computers. But, that
apparently isn't a priority with Google.

From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>I've been providing support for many platforms for 30 years and I see
>the number of malware calls increasing, dramatically, over the last
>several months.

Really? That's funny. I have ads in 3 local phone books and naturally my
phone is ringing a lot, but I don't see any increase in malware calls over,
say, a year ago.

I live in San Francisco; maybe being at the heart of the Internet, people here
are more aware of these problems and take care of themselves better?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.beaf
Next: New Version Trojan?