From: David Kaye on
~BD~ <BoaterDave(a)hot.mail.co.uk> wrote:

>Without wishing in any way to be rude/provocative ...... maybe today's
>malware is more clever than you, and your potential clients, think!

All I can report back is the service calls I get. My phone number is out
there in over 1,500,000 phone books. I get plenty of service calls, but
they've shifted toward more sophisticated networking, hardware fixes, etc.

Now, if people are going to Geek Squad first, then so be it. However, I spoke
with the regional manager of Geek Squad recently and he told me that his
malware calls are also down compared with hardware integration calls. He gets
a lot of people who want to set up their XBoxes, TiVo, stereos, etc.

There may be a difference in this region, though. We live and breathe
Internet here in San Francisco, since the region is home to Craigslist, Yahoo,
Google, YouTube, SecondLife, and just about every other major high traffic
website. So, it may just be that our users are more sophisticated in that
regard.

I will say that in nearly all cases, my new customers are running at least XP
with all its service packs and updates. I had only a sum total of 4 customers
who got hit by the malware that affected the 177165 patch (I think that's the
number). One was an existing customer, the other were new.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or not but when Shaun White won the
| Olympics snowboarding competition, I went to Google Images to see some photos
| of him in action. The third photo culled by Google looked good. I clicked on
| it and at first the photo showed up. Then about 3 seconds later a web page
| appeared with the scan ruse on it. So, Google had indexed yet another malware
| site.

| All I had to do was click the X box to go away and no harm was done. Many
| people would not have done so, but might have clicked something inside the
| page. This is where the social engineering comes in: getting people to make
| that first click.

| Google, to their credit, took it down the next day. I wish they'd scan the
| web pages they index as well as they scan their users' computers. But, that
| apparently isn't a priority with Google.

Yes... Social Engineering at its best.

I was watching the CBS Evening news with Katie Couric.. She was discussing about privacy
rights of the dead. Where gruesome death scenes are posted on the Internet and do the
departed have privacy rights.

She brings up the case of Nikki Catsouras. They wouldn't broadcast the gruesome death
scene so of course, so I had to view the pics on the 'net.

I Google'd on the victim of the accident and sure enough, it takes you to that standard
fake video player and a download.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/19f131bcfa95e9f676d1ef9a9640f32a

I documented that situation and I went back to my notes. It is still live.

I just got... video-plugin[1].40009.exe

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/772a1461fb2aa6d0ecbe378f5408631e601f747e95406db73b07b39cb82edf92-1269201160

F-Secure 9.0.15370.0 2010.03.21 Trojan-Downloader:W32/Renos.gen!C
McAfee-GW-Edition 6.8.5 2010.03.21 Heuristic.BehavesLike.Win32.Suspicious.H
Rising 22.39.06.01 2010.03.21 Packer.Win32.UnkPacker.a
Sophos 4.51.0 2010.03.21 Sus/UnkPack-C
Symantec 20091.2.0.41 2010.03.21 Suspicious.Insight

--
Dave

From: Leythos on
In article <ho5rqh$1eq$4(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
@yahoo.com says...

> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:
>
> >I've been providing support for many platforms for 30 years and I see
> >the number of malware calls increasing, dramatically, over the last
> >several months.
>
> Really? That's funny. I have ads in 3 local phone books and naturally my
> phone is ringing a lot, but I don't see any increase in malware calls over,
> say, a year ago.
>
> I live in San Francisco; maybe being at the heart of the Internet, people here
> are more aware of these problems and take care of themselves better?

LOL, SF is the "heart of the internet"?

I would say that the increase in calls about malware has increased,
possibly doubled, in the last 6 months. I have customers in LA and
Beverly Hills - their home computers are always getting compromised.
Some of the unsecured business networks we have in that area are
compromised on a weekly basis because the company owners will not allow
any restrictions on web activity, no email filtering, and demand that
all users be given local admin rights....

Trust yourself.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>

| In article <ho5rqh$1eq$4(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2
| @yahoo.com says...

>> Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>> >I've been providing support for many platforms for 30 years and I see
>> >the number of malware calls increasing, dramatically, over the last
>> >several months.

>> Really? That's funny. I have ads in 3 local phone books and naturally my
>> phone is ringing a lot, but I don't see any increase in malware calls over,
>> say, a year ago.

>> I live in San Francisco; maybe being at the heart of the Internet, people here
>> are more aware of these problems and take care of themselves better?

| LOL, SF is the "heart of the internet"?

| I would say that the increase in calls about malware has increased,
| possibly doubled, in the last 6 months. I have customers in LA and
| Beverly Hills - their home computers are always getting compromised.
| Some of the unsecured business networks we have in that area are
| compromised on a weekly basis because the company owners will not allow
| any restrictions on web activity, no email filtering, and demand that
| all users be given local admin rights....

We all know what Marin County is the heart of :-)

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote:

>LOL, SF is the "heart of the internet"?

Uh, yes. Craigslist, SecondLife, Google, Yahoo, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook,
Tribe, Laughing Squid, Zynga -- I'd say that these firms probably account for
up to 80% of Internet traffic. And they're either based in SF or within 30-40
miles of SF.

It's actually very weird listen to the BBC World Service and hearing nearly
every Web mention be of some company based here.

It is unusual to meet 10 people at random and not learn that a good 30-40% are
working for an Internet company of one kind or other. Google, Yahoo, and
Microsoft have special regular bus services lugging their workers between
their Peninsula campuses and worker homes in SF. In fact, neighborhood
residents of Noe Valley (24th Street) are complaining that too many Google and
Yahoo commute buses are clogging their streets.

I have no idea where you live, but the Internet is so ubiquitous here that
there are cafes that boast that they do NOT have wi-fi.

Even people who don't work in tech know how to stay out of trouble with the
clicks. It may just be part of our local culture now.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.beaf
Next: New Version Trojan?