From: Bast on

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
>
>> From: "Roy East" <royeast(a)example.invalid>
>
>>> Hi, After recently coming off McFee Anti virus, I have now gone over
>>> to Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus. Can it be recommended?
>>> Also should I download anything else (bearing in mind I can only get
>>> DialUp in this area).
>

>> You would be *much* better off using a combination of Avira AntiVir
>> and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
>
> PS: Many report MSE puts a load on the system and drags it down.

I can't comment on older slow systems.

But MSE definitely grabs the system by the balls when you first turn the
computer on and for several minutes afterward.
Then seems to relax into the background.

So for those with systems running 24/7 it's not a big issue, but for those
that use the system for short periods, e.g. notebooks on the road, that drag
may be a crippling perfomance blow.

From: Roy East on
I can only go by what I've got. Since I've come off of McFee and moved to
MSE my system is a lot faster.

From: Cronos on
Roy East wrote:
> Now I have MSE do I need a Adware Protection program?

Defender does protect against malicious adware too but even Microsoft
recommend you enhance your protection with added software. Use
Malwarebytes free, Firefox with adblock plus and noscript are good to
use too.
From: Gashead on
'Malwarebytes free' is not free?

From: Dustin Cook on
"Gashead" <royeast(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> 'Malwarebytes free' is not free?

Yes it is. For private non commercial use. We've always released it in that
fashion.

--
"Is there anything in Guul Draz that doesn't suck the life out of you?"
- Tarsa, Sea Gate sell-sword.