From: Cronos on
Dustin Cook wrote:
>I read the snippits, and based on personal experience
> with servers and systems which create/empty alot of files on a routine
> basis, I would respectfully have to disagree with many of them.

If you read all of the quotes then you will see they agree in this
scenario but they point out that this is not how the average user uses
their PC so disagree for the average user. I can't seem to find real
hard data for either claim so I use my own noggin and do defrag but not
nearly as often as the weekly defrag Vista/Win7 are set to.
From: Cronos on
Leythos wrote:

> And then there are people who do more than write for magazines, have
> decades of real-world experience, who work with small systems to systems
> with hundreds of terra-bytes....

I'm going to post your comments to them but will keep it anonymous with
no mention of this group or you and will post back their responses.
Should be fun. :)
From: Dustin Cook on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote in

> Leythos wrote:
>

>> And then there are people who do more than write for magazines, have
>> decades of real-world experience, who work with small systems to
>> systems with hundreds of terra-bytes....
>
> I'm going to post your comments to them but will keep it anonymous
> with no mention of this group or you and will post back their

Likely a pointless endeavor. If they really feel that defragging doesn't
benefit systems, then; allow them to bathe in their ignorance. It's
comforting for some.

As for myself and my systems, they will continue with defragging; as
contigous space helps with ripping.

--
.... Those are my thoughts anyways...

From: Cronos on
Dustin Cook wrote:

> *yawn*.

You may find it a boring subject but I don't and want to get to the real
truth. One thing I know, the spam claims from the defrag vendors that
buying their commercial defrag program will turn my PC into a speed
demon are lies. Yes, there are some that make that claim and there are
laws regarding false advertising too so I want the facts and not
opinions. I want proof.
From: Dustin Cook on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote in news:hhturk$jts$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Dustin Cook wrote:
>
>> *yawn*.
>
> You may find it a boring subject but I don't and want to get to the
real
> truth. One thing I know, the spam claims from the defrag vendors that
> buying their commercial defrag program will turn my PC into a speed
> demon are lies. Yes, there are some that make that claim and there are
> laws regarding false advertising too so I want the facts and not
> opinions. I want proof.

So do it yourself then. If you need something that will make dummy 2.1
gig files by allocating free space; I'm willing to provide it. It won't
take the time to request byte for byte work; it'll just tell windows to
make a file 2.1 gigs in size; which will contain whatever was available
in the free space; IE: If it contains your private documents details etc,
it's not on purpose. I'm not "spying" on you. Prodigy had this problem
come up several years ago when they created a temporary file using this
method. And the reason this method was used was to create a contigous
block of space for timely file i/o to occur.

No I'm not saying a defrag will turn your computer into a speed demon; it
won't. It will however keep your hard disk contents in a nice organized
fashion, making it easier for your computer to find things and thus,
faster.

It's all about that access time my friend. How long is it going to take
to seek out file a, and then how much longer will it take to pull record
#34746 out of it. If it's fragmented, your computer's hard disk is going
to be spending time it could otherwise have not wasted hunting for
invididual pieces.

--
.... Those are my thoughts anyways...