From: Rube Bumpkin on
Dustin Cook wrote:
> Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote in news:hhturk$jts$1(a)news.eternal-
> september.org:
>
>> Dustin Cook wrote:
>>
>>> *yawn*.
>> You may find it a boring subject but I don't and want to get to the
> real
>> truth. One thing I know, the spam claims from the defrag vendors that
>> buying their commercial defrag program will turn my PC into a speed
>> demon are lies. Yes, there are some that make that claim and there are
>> laws regarding false advertising too so I want the facts and not
>> opinions. I want proof.
>
> So do it yourself then. If you need something that will make dummy 2.1
> gig files by allocating free space; I'm willing to provide it. It won't
> take the time to request byte for byte work; it'll just tell windows to
> make a file 2.1 gigs in size; which will contain whatever was available
> in the free space; IE: If it contains your private documents details etc,
> it's not on purpose. I'm not "spying" on you. Prodigy had this problem
> come up several years ago when they created a temporary file using this
> method. And the reason this method was used was to create a contigous
> block of space for timely file i/o to occur.
>
> No I'm not saying a defrag will turn your computer into a speed demon; it
> won't. It will however keep your hard disk contents in a nice organized
> fashion, making it easier for your computer to find things and thus,
> faster.
>
> It's all about that access time my friend. How long is it going to take
> to seek out file a, and then how much longer will it take to pull record
> #34746 out of it. If it's fragmented, your computer's hard disk is going
> to be spending time it could otherwise have not wasted hunting for
> invididual pieces.

These should be near and dear to everyone's heart. Yes, they're written
by Diskeeper, but numbers are reasonable.

"Antivirus Software and Disk Defragmentation"
http://whitepapers.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=131600

"The Impact of Disk Fragmentation on Servers"
http://whitepapers.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=962383

Both show a performance increase after defragging.

RB
From: Leythos on
In article <hhtuda$his$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
cronos(a)sphere.invalid says...
> Another pig ignorant lie. Extra fragment can NOT produce a failure.
>
> The most it can EVER do is increase the time required
> to move that file in a few situations like copying a file.

I snipped your inline replies because you are very well summarized in
the above comments.

When a transaction fails, because of time, that's a failure.

When a defrag of files can restore fast and proper operation, that is
PROOF that defrag has dramatic benefit in those cases, and it's proof
that it can benefit at some level in other operations.

You may be happy with a SQL transaction that takes 30 seconds, but the
application calling the database may show an error because it times out
in XX amount of seconds - if the only change was to defragment the file
structure, pack it, then it's proof that a defrag has restored
performance.

Trust yourself.
From: Leythos on
In article <hhturk$jts$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
cronos(a)sphere.invalid says...
> One thing I know, the spam claims from the defrag vendors that
> buying their commercial defrag program will turn my PC into a speed
> demon are lies.

I've not see any claims where any vendor claims to increase performance
beyond what the system had before it was fragmented.

Trust yourself.
From: Cronos on
Leythos wrote:

> I've not see any claims where any vendor claims to increase performance
> beyond what the system had before it was fragmented.

I used to get spammed at hotmail by Diskeeper claiming it would. I tried
a demo of their app at one time and they kept spamming me incessantly to
buy their app and did make such claims. OK, "speed demon" is an
exaggeration for effect but can't remember the exact wording they used.
I ended up marking their emails as junk so don't get them any more but
will see if I have some in a folder somewhere and post their spew for
you to see.

I have a copy of Perfect Disk and if I am going to install a 3rd party
app then will use that as it does defrag quicker than the one Microsoft
includes, which I believe is using Diskeepr tech.
From: Dustin Cook on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote in news:hhuevf$6up$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Leythos wrote:
>
>> I've not see any claims where any vendor claims to increase performance
>> beyond what the system had before it was fragmented.
>>

> I used to get spammed at hotmail by Diskeeper claiming it would. I tried
> a demo of their app at one time and they kept spamming me incessantly to
> buy their app and did make such claims. OK, "speed demon" is an
> exaggeration for effect but can't remember the exact wording they used.
> I ended up marking their emails as junk so don't get them any more but
> will see if I have some in a folder somewhere and post their spew for
> you to see.
>
> I have a copy of Perfect Disk and if I am going to install a 3rd party
> app then will use that as it does defrag quicker than the one Microsoft
> includes, which I believe is using Diskeepr tech.

I have diskeeper actually; I've been using it for years. They sent us a
free copy for internal use; so I used it. I'll continue to do so. I can
read a drive map; and fragged files aren't cool. :)

--
.... Those are my thoughts anyways...