From: Cronos on
ASCII wrote:

> I did try PerfectDisk v10Pro recently but in all fairness
> didn't spend much time in the learning curve as it's quite steep.
> I also did a short eval on MyDefrag v2.4.7
> but because I like the simplicity of all the Piriform appz,
> they're the ones that stayed onboard.

The one big benefit of PerfectDisk, if their claims are true, is that it
can defrag still with a lot less free space than the others. Most you
need about 20% free space to defrag properly and I think PD claims it
only needs about 5% free.
From: Leythos on
In article <hi13n1$kfa$8(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
cronos(a)sphere.invalid says...
> There was a time when fragmentation was a big issue in DOS and early
> Windows, mainly because the disk head had to move back and forth so much
> between the FAT blocks and the data blocks. DOS and windows had pretty
> much nothing in the way of disk caching at the time, so everything was
> read directly from the disk and thus fragments were very costly. With
> more "modern" systems, such as windows NT (or any form of *nix), you
> have caching of the block allocation data structures, better file
> systems, read-ahead, on-drive caches, etc., which hugely reduce the impact.

HA HA HA HA - and yet this ignores that the DISK HEAD MUST STILL MOVE TO
ALL OF THOSE FRAGMENTS, wasting time. Caching helps, read ahead, write,
adaptive, all help performance, but the fact remains - if the files are
not fragmented they are more quickly read from the disk.

Trust yourself.
From: Cronos on
Dustin Cook wrote:

> I have diskeeper actually; I've been using it for years. They sent us a
> free copy for internal use; so I used it. I'll continue to do so. I can
> read a drive map; and fragged files aren't cool. :)

Here's their final reply:

> Well, I haven't seen any of you provide concrete data to back up your
>claims so it is still just hearsay. I am not fool enough to take
>hearsay as fact.

I have backed up my claims with concrete explanations of how file access
works, and why fragmentation is rarely has any significant impact with a
modern system (as compared to a decade or two ago, when it /did/ have an
impact on DOS+Windows systems).

I have no intention of wasting my time defragmenting or artificially
fragmenting my file systems just to produce numbers for /your/ benefit -
even if I did, other people's benchmarks are never as useful as your own
measurements on your own system.

You have had clear explanations in this thread as to why defragmentation
is not a significant issue - even Rod was clear and to-the-point, and
unusually restrained in most of his posts. The quotations you posted
from your other sources are a mixture of absurd claims ("fragmentation
broke my enterprise database"), ignorant and out-dated "facts", and
adverts and press releases from defragmentation software companies.
Nothing came close to being a sensible explanation of the claimed effects.
From: Leythos on
In article <hibhmp$ld8$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
cronos(a)sphere.invalid says...
> I have backed up my claims with concrete explanations of how file access
> works, and why fragmentation is rarely has any significant impact with a
> modern system (as compared to a decade or two ago, when it /did/ have an
> impact on DOS+Windows systems).
>
> I have no intention of wasting my time defragmenting or artificially
> fragmenting my file systems just to produce numbers for /your/ benefit -
> even if I did, other people's benchmarks are never as useful as your own
> measurements on your own system.
>
> You have had clear explanations in this thread as to why defragmentation
> is not a significant issue - even Rod was clear and to-the-point, and
> unusually restrained in most of his posts. The quotations you posted
> from your other sources are a mixture of absurd claims ("fragmentation
> broke my enterprise database"), ignorant and out-dated "facts", and
> adverts and press releases from defragmentation software companies.
> Nothing came close to being a sensible explanation of the claimed effects.

And I have given you a means to test your belief and theirs, clearly
stated how fragmentation DOES impact operation of both workstations and
servers, and you've clearly said you're not interested in testing this
yourself.

How can one learn when one refuses to experiment themselves?

Trust yourself.
From: Roy East on
Now I have MSE do I need a Adware Protection program?