From: me on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:25:09 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:56:50 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Interesting effect. I would have liked to see the silhouette sharp. The
>>>blurry outline ruins it for me.
>>

>> How would you propose to have both the moon and the silhouette both be
>> sharp in a single shot with 1000mm f.l.?
>

>The same way you take a picture of a hummingbird, with its wings frozen,
>with a 28mm f5.6 lens, without strobe.

I don't necessarily see the issue with today's sensors. At iso800 in
bright sunlight you get 1/2000s. I routinely shoot to iso1600 with my
D300.
So there is a possibility, no? 28mm, f/5.6 at 3+ ft also has
sufficient DOF. As opposed to never having enough DOF for the
original shot.
From: Peter on

> I don't necessarily see the issue with today's sensors. At iso800 in
> bright sunlight you get 1/2000s. I routinely shoot to iso1600 with my
> D300.
> So there is a possibility, no? 28mm, f/5.6 at 3+ ft also has
> sufficient DOF. As opposed to never having enough DOF for the
> original shot.

With my D300 I start to get significant noise above ISO1600 in low, but high
contrast light such as night harness racing. All the in camera NR settings
did was blur the image. Have you had any experience with that?

--
Peter

From: me on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:16:03 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>With my D300 I start to get significant noise above ISO1600 in low, but high
>contrast light such as night harness racing. All the in camera NR settings
>did was blur the image. Have you had any experience with that?

I haven't shot jpgs since I originally got my D70. These days I use
Bibble to convert raw files from my D200/300. It contains a basic
version of NoiseNinja. I also have the full version of NeatImage and
can process minimally in Bibble and then use the NI filter in PS. You
might consider giving either of the free versions of NN/NI a try if
you don't care to process raw image. That said, I would guess you
would benefit from raw processing given my experience with early
morning/late evening wildlife and indoor Arena Racing.
From: me on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:16:03 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>With my D300 I start to get significant noise above ISO1600 in low, but high
>contrast light such as night harness racing. All the in camera NR settings
>did was blur the image. Have you had any experience with that?

BTW, you are aware that above 1600 on the D300 is nothing but pushing
1600 with additional amplification. So unless you really need it to
get the shutter speed up, you're not gaining snr.
From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:58:25 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
wrote:
: "GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message
: news:Yuk2o.873794$FK3.471059(a)en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com...
: > In article <4c499fe1$0$5504$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
: > <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
: >>"M-M" <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote in message
: >>news:nospam.m-m-E71B21.09502223072010(a)cpe-76-190-186-198.neo.res.rr.com...
: >>> Taken inside Zion National Park from the bottom of the canyon.
: >>>
: >>> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/DSC_23928w.jpg
: >>>
: >>> --
: >>> m-m
: >>> http://www.mhmyers.com
: >>
: >>
: >>
: >>Interesting effect. I would have liked to see the silhouette sharp. The
: >>blurry outline ruins it for me.
: >>
: > None of you seem happy with anyones effort unless it was "YOU" who took
: > the picture, then its a masterpiece. I enjoyed this photo, flaws or no
: > flaws.
:
: That is neither a fair, nor true comment. With the exception of our resident
: troll, there have been many compliments and hopeful suggestions. Life is not
: a kindergarten and I am not related to the maker. If an image is submitted
: for critique and I am so inclined I will make what I hope are helpful
: suggestions. Just as when I submit an image in the SI, I hope to get honest
: comment.

GMan's comment is absolutely fair. When you say you'd prefer that the
silhouette be sharp, that's a valid criticism, even if that sharpness might,
as someone else suggested, be difficult to achieve. But when you go on to say
that such an insignificant detail "ruins" the picture, that's plain silly. Is
Rich Anderson's attitude starting to infect us all, so that nothing that isn't
perfect is acceptable?

Bob