From: Paul Furman on
M-M wrote:

>>> Bingo!
>>>
>>> m-m
>>> www.mhmyers.com
>>
>> Voila!
>>
>> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/43193577_907f5945dc_o.jpg
>

> This one is a single exposure. No photoshop at all. Full frame but
> reduced to 25% of original:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/DSC_23907w.jpg

Lots of fun to be had :-)
Here's a stitched one (actual position though):
http://edgehill.net/Misc/moon/pg1pc0
From: Me on
me wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:16:03 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>

>> With my D300 I start to get significant noise above ISO1600 in low, but high
>> contrast light such as night harness racing. All the in camera NR settings
>> did was blur the image. Have you had any experience with that?
>

> BTW, you are aware that above 1600 on the D300 is nothing but pushing
> 1600 with additional amplification. So unless you really need it to
> get the shutter speed up, you're not gaining snr.

FWIW, with the D300 it's ISO 3200. The "Hi" settings go to ISO6400.
High contrast is where it's likely to be a problem, as to avoid blown
highlights but recover shadow detail, there's not much "spare" DR to
play with.
From: Martin Brown on
On 23/07/2010 22:25, Peter wrote:
> "me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:56:50 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Interesting effect. I would have liked to see the silhouette sharp. The
>>> blurry outline ruins it for me.

Try a bit of judicious unsharp masking radius 4, strength 40 in PSPro.
There seems to be some residual chromatic aberration on the horizontals.

>> How would you propose to have both the moon and the silhouette both be
>> sharp in a single shot with 1000mm f.l.?

Actually you can just about do it with the depth of field available with
a 1000mm lens at f10 focussed at 3500m provided the horizon is no closer
to you than 2000m. I suspect the OP focussed on the moon and so nearly
half the available depth of field is wasted on beyond infinity.

An online calculator is at: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

> The same way you take a picture of a hummingbird, with its wings frozen,
> with a 28mm f5.6 lens, without strobe.

A flash gun will also freeze its wings...

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Schneider on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:35:16 +0100, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 23/07/2010 22:25, Peter wrote:
>> "me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message

>Try a bit of judicious unsharp masking radius 4, strength 40 in PSPro.
>There seems to be some residual chromatic aberration on the horizontals.
>>>

>>> How would you propose to have both the moon and the silhouette both be
>>> sharp in a single shot with 1000mm f.l.?
>
>Actually you can just about do it with the depth of field available with
>a 1000mm lens at f10 focussed at 3500m provided the horizon is no closer
>to you than 2000m. I suspect the OP focussed on the moon and so nearly
>half the available depth of field is wasted on beyond infinity.
>
>An online calculator is at: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
>
>> The same way you take a picture of a hummingbird, with its wings frozen,
>> with a 28mm f5.6 lens, without strobe.
>
>A flash gun will also freeze its wings...

And, as always, destroy the ambiance of a perfectly good shot. Ah, the
crippled crutch of the DSLR-TROLL .... image destroying FLASH.

Did you miss this hand-held shot taken at 1/10,000 second using available
light alone?

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4822194301_20db930412_b.jpg>

What a pity that *ALL* DSLR piece of shits can't accomplish this simple
task.

From: DanP on
On Jul 24, 3:09 am, M-M <nospam....(a)ny.more> wrote:
> In article <i2ddpe$rj...(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>  "Tim Conway" <tconway_...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > "George Kerby" <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Careful planning.
>
> > Two separate exposures.  One focused on moon, other on rocks/trees.  Combine
> > two in photoshop - masks, layers, combine layers.  Voila.
>
> Bingo!
>
> m-mwww.mhmyers.com

It is quite hard to focus on the trees, they are completely dark.
I would have taken quite a few shots with manual focusing nudging it
manually.
DOF is longer behind the subject than in front of it.

This guy planned his shot and did a HDR:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharpshutter/4318395969/

Well done, you took the shot and I did not.
Anyone criticizing you should come up with something better or shut
up.

DanP