From: David Empson on
SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:

> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > > The magic trackpad is there but I can't see anything else new.
> >
> > Apart from the new iMacs and the new Mac Pros?
>
> I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?

No, SM jumped to a false conclusion. There is a new iMac, but no new Mac
Pro yet.

Maybe the Mac Pro release really will be "late summer", but the rumour
of the iMac release after that was obviously wrong.

Or the Mac Pro might appear next week. Apple likes to keep us on our
toes.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: David Empson on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > > Apart from the new iMacs and the new Mac Pros?
> >
> > I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?
>
> No, SM jumped to a false conclusion. There is a new iMac, but no new Mac
> Pro yet.
>
> Maybe the Mac Pro release really will be "late summer", but the rumour
> of the iMac release after that was obviously wrong.
>
> Or the Mac Pro might appear next week. Apple likes to keep us on our
> toes.

Ah - the Apple web site says "coming August", so they are announced but
aren't on the store yet. I should have looked harder.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Still no USB 3.0, so that particular rumour is debunked.

No Blu-Ray either. Not surprised.

No SD card slot, so it isn't as consistent across all models as I
thought it might be. Probably didn't want to change the outer design in
this model.

The 27" display has also been announced, "Coming Soon".

No sign of a MacBook Air update.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: SM on
James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:14:23 +0100, SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> >> Apart from the new iMacs and the new Mac Pros?
> >
> > I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?
> >
> > Stuart
>
> I couldn't immediately see it looking at the store, but there are new
> processor options based around the 3600/5600 series Xeons, rather than the
> 5500 series previously. 4, 6, 8 or 12 cores for your processing pleasure.
>
> No, the store - at least the UK Education web store - hasn't been updated
> with the new Mac Pro hardware yet. You'll just have to go along to
> http://www.apple.com/uk/macpro/specs.html and drool.

Still not on the store - thanks for the link.

New graphics cards I see:

ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini
DisplayPort outputs and one dual-link DVI port

ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, PCI Express 2.0, two Mini
DisplayPort outputs and one dual-link DVI port

No USB3 or faster FireWire as rumoured.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-27, David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

>> > Apart from the new iMacs and the new Mac Pros?
>>
>> I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?
>
> No, SM jumped to a false conclusion.

And me.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: SM on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > > Apart from the new iMacs and the new Mac Pros?
> >
> > I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?
>
> No, SM jumped to a false conclusion. There is a new iMac, but no new Mac
> Pro yet.

That was Jim :-)

I was the one looking at the store and not seeing the new Pros.

> Maybe the Mac Pro release really will be "late summer", but the rumour
> of the iMac release after that was obviously wrong.
>
> Or the Mac Pro might appear next week. Apple likes to keep us on our
> toes.

I see on the page James linked to there's a small "Coming Soon" graphic.
The US page says August:

<http://www.apple.com/macpro/>

Stuart
--