From: James Dore on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:42:50 +0100, David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>
wrote:

> David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:

>> be a

>> > I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?
>>
>> No, SM jumped to a false conclusion. There is a new iMac, but no new Mac
>> Pro yet.
>>
>> Maybe the Mac Pro release really will be "late summer", but the rumour
>> of the iMac release after that was obviously wrong.
>>
>> Or the Mac Pro might appear next week. Apple likes to keep us on our
>> toes.
>
> Ah - the Apple web site says "coming August", so they are announced but
> aren't on the store yet. I should have looked harder.

Excellent! That's in the new Financial Year! <glee>

From: Jim on
On 2010-07-27, SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:

>> > I can't see an update of the Mac Pro - am I being dense?
>
>> No, SM jumped to a false conclusion. There is a new iMac, but no new Mac
>> Pro yet.
>
> That was Jim :-)

Yep, me. I saw the old Pros, thought they were new.

My mistake.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-27 14:42:50 +0100, David Empson said:

> Still no USB 3.0, so that particular rumour is debunked.

USB 3 isn't exactly setting the industry alight is it? Maybe folks are
waiting for LightPeak, or whatever's going to be the next-next gen
interconnection standard.

--
Chris

From: Peter Ceresole on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> (I'm on
> my fourth Apple laptop and love the multi-touch trackpad on the current
> MacBook Pro).

Yes, they are pretty good- although on Anne's MBP I/she use a Logitech
mouse. Odd how Apple make lovely trackpads, but useless mice. And in
that I'm including the Magic Mouse whoch came with my iMac.

> My desktop Macs use Logitech mice.

Yup. That's (an MX500, with a tail) what I'm using with the iMac,
instead of the Magic Mouse. It's night and day.

I don't know why, but Logitech seem to be very good at mice while Apple
are somehow *bad* at them. Nothing to do with looks, all to do with
function.

But now, we'll have to see if the new trackpad is as good as it ought to
be.
--
Peter
From: David Empson on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-27 14:42:50 +0100, David Empson said:
>
> > Still no USB 3.0, so that particular rumour is debunked.
>
> USB 3 isn't exactly setting the industry alight is it?

No, and Intel isn't going to include it in their standard chipsets until
some time in 2011, so I thought it was somewhat unlikely that Apple
would add it in a mid 2010 or late 2010 Mac Pro or iMac update. It would
require adding a separate controller chip on the motherboard (which
pretty much rules it out in laptops or the Mac Mini, due to space
constraints).

Historically, Apple have added new interfaces on the high end model
first, but given this Mac Pro still has USB 2.0 and FW800, and Mac Pro
updates tend to be more than a year apart, the first Mac with USB 3.0
could be a different model around this time next year.

Unless Apple is planning another Mac Pro update for early or mid 2011.
Doesn't seem likely given historic pattern.

Firewire 1600 or 3200 were also mentioned by the same rumour, but they
are even more esoteric - I haven't heard of a single product which uses
them yet (not that I've gone looking). USB 3.0 is starting to appear on
various things like external hard drives.

> Maybe folks are waiting for LightPeak, or whatever's going to be the
> next-next gen interconnection standard.

I'd expect USB 3.0 to stick around for cheaper peripherals. Light Peak
might replace Firewire on future models, perhaps with conversion
adapters. It could also replace the Ethernet socket, but I think a
hybrid generation is likely.

I doubt we'll see Light Peak in production equipment before 2011.

Faster Firewire is a solution looking for a problem (probably won't be
adopted by hard drive enclosure makers, limiting it to video or audio
applications).

USB 3.0 will become mainstream but not for a while yet.

I just hope Apple handles it like they did with USB 1.1 (reasonably
prompt adoption) rather than USB 2.0 (waited a good couple of years,
possibly to avoid having it compete with Firewire, or for the release of
FW800 so FW still had a clear advantage.)

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz