From: Paul Ciszek on
I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
PowerShot SX20 IS. According to one salesman, the Panasonic is
supposed to have better quality optics and faster electronics;
I don't know enough about photography to tell if this online
review is agreeing with that assessment or not:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ35_FZ38/outdoor_results.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ35_FZ38/verdict.shtml

Most of my use will be outdoor nature photography, both landscape
and ultra-closeup (flowers, lichens, minerals, etc.). I care only
about the quality of the captured image; any post-processing I can
do on a computer. I do not expect video to play a large role.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with either (or better
yet, both) of these cameras that they would care to share?

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
From: David J Taylor on
"Paul Ciszek" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
> PowerShot SX20 IS. According to one salesman, the Panasonic is
> supposed to have better quality optics and faster electronics;

Yes, one the Panasonics I've used the optics are better than Canon, and
Panasonic don't do as much image processing, leading to sharper but
slightly noisier (more "grain") images. Your choice!

To compare features side-by-side:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sx20is%2Cpanasonic_dmcfz35&show=all

Purely on that comparison, I would go with the Panasonic as it has a wider
field-of-view, and a bigger aperture at maximum zoom. It's smaller and
lighter as well. Neither camera (with a very small 12MP sensor) will
produce as good image quality as a DSLR with a good lens, but I'm sure you
already know that.

Cheers,
David

From: NameHere on
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 07:42:52 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"Paul Ciszek" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
>> PowerShot SX20 IS. According to one salesman, the Panasonic is
>> supposed to have better quality optics and faster electronics;
>
>Yes, one the Panasonics I've used the optics are better than Canon, and
>Panasonic don't do as much image processing, leading to sharper but
>slightly noisier (more "grain") images. Your choice!
>
>To compare features side-by-side:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sx20is%2Cpanasonic_dmcfz35&show=all
>
>Purely on that comparison, I would go with the Panasonic as it has a wider
>field-of-view, and a bigger aperture at maximum zoom. It's smaller and
>lighter as well. Neither camera (with a very small 12MP sensor) will
>produce as good image quality as a DSLR with a good lens, but I'm sure you
>already know that.
>
>Cheers,
>David

You mean like how these smaller sensor G9 and G11 P&S cameras beat the new
Canon D7 DSLR?

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/

Or how this very small sensor SX10 beats another DSLR?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

Or maybe you meant this page, where a small sensor P&S camera can now
compete with a medium-format Hasselblad, even when that Hasselblad is
securely mounted on a tripod and the shutter tripped by a remote-release.
Yet the P&S camera is only balanced on top and the shutter pressed with a
finger. And still they can't tell the images apart between the two based on
image quality alone.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Is that what you meant by not being able to produce "as good" image quality
as a DSLR, because smaller sensor P&S cameras can actually create BETTER
image quality than a DSLR? Is that what you meant?

You must have. Only an idiot troll with no real photography experience
would try to say something that is in direct opposition to all the real
evidence.

From: Paul Ciszek on

In article <0O3Rm.10423$Ym4.3597(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>,
David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Purely on that comparison, I would go with the Panasonic as it has a wider
>field-of-view, and a bigger aperture at maximum zoom. It's smaller and
>lighter as well. Neither camera (with a very small 12MP sensor) will
>produce as good image quality as a DSLR with a good lens, but I'm sure you
>already know that.

Rather, I figured that since I can't understand the photographerese
in the cameralabs articles I linked to well enough to determine if
they were saying one is better than the other, I must not need an
SLR yet.

From: David J Taylor on
"Paul Ciszek" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
[]
> Rather, I figured that since I can't understand the photographerese
> in the cameralabs articles I linked to well enough to determine if
> they were saying one is better than the other, I must not need an
> SLR yet.

I was responding to your remark about image quality important. Many of
today's DSLRs have an automatic mode which works in a similar way to that
on a compact camera, but you may want to use less automation to get more
control of the settings once you learn more about photography, and that
applies equally to DSLRs as is does to small sensor cameras.

In ideal taking conditions, small-sensor cameras can produce good quality
images, but if the light is poor, and the camera's sensitivity needs to be
increased (and cameras will do this automatically for you), the "noise" in
the image will increase, leading to a grainy appearance and some loss of
detail. With a DSLR this grain only appears in much lower lighting
conditions than with a small-sensor camera, enabling you to take good
pictures where otherwise you might only get a blur or a very grainy image.
The lenses on DSLRs can be changed, so that you can buy ones far better
than those typically supplied on small-sensor cameras. These benefits
come with a size, weight and cost penalty, though.

Probably either model would suit your needs - handle both in the shop and
see which you prefer.

Cheers,
David