From: Bob Larter on
Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:40:06 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Paul Ciszek" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> []
>>> Rather, I figured that since I can't understand the photographerese
>>> in the cameralabs articles I linked to well enough to determine if
>>> they were saying one is better than the other, I must not need an
>>> SLR yet.
>> I was responding to your remark about image quality important. Many of
>> today's DSLRs have an automatic mode which works in a similar way to that
>> on a compact camera, but you may want to use less automation to get more
>> control of the settings once you learn more about photography, and that
>> applies equally to DSLRs as is does to small sensor cameras.
>>
>> In ideal taking conditions, small-sensor cameras can produce good quality
>> images, but if the light is poor, and the camera's sensitivity needs to be
>> increased (and cameras will do this automatically for you), the "noise" in
>> the image will increase, leading to a grainy appearance and some loss of
>> detail.
>
> Yet pro photographers have been taking photos on ASA25, ASA64, ASA100, and
> ASA200 all their lives for nearly a century.

Not at night, they haven't.

> Higher ISOs are only required
> by those that don't know how to use a camera properly--beginner
> snapshooters.

Ever heard of Tri-X?

From: Bob Larter on
Pretend-Photographers Is All They Are wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:32:43 -0700, Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:46:57 +0000 (UTC), nospam(a)nospam.com (Paul
>> Ciszek) wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
>>> PowerShot SX20 IS. According to one salesman, the Panasonic is
>>> supposed to have better quality optics and faster electronics;
>>> I don't know enough about photography to tell if this online
>>> review is agreeing with that assessment or not:
>>>
>>> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ35_FZ38/outdoor_results.shtml
>>>
>>> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ35_FZ38/verdict.shtml
>>>
>>> Most of my use will be outdoor nature photography, both landscape
>>> and ultra-closeup (flowers, lichens, minerals, etc.). I care only
>>> about the quality of the captured image; any post-processing I can
>>> do on a computer. I do not expect video to play a large role.
>> Do you have experience with ultra-closeup photography? It is a
>> demanding field. And the closer you get, the more difficult it
>> becomes. The depth of field gets very shallow, the lenses become less
>> sharp, it is hard to focus, hard to compose, and hard to manage camera
>> shake, and it is hard to get enough light on the subject, especially
>> quality light.
>

> This is the main drawback of all DSLRs. P&S cameras aren't hindered by all
> these problems. P&S cameras are EXCELLENT for macro and micro photography.
> But then, you'd have to actually have experience with these fields of
> photography to learn and know this.
>
> I do wish that you inexperienced snapshooters would educate yourselves some
> day.
>

>> I suggest that you spend some time learning about closeup photography
>> before deciding which camera to buy.
>>

> I suggest that YOU spend some time learning about close-up photography.
> Because, clearly, you know absolutely NOTHING about it.

Got some samples to show us of your (no doubt) excellent work?

From: Bob Larter on
-hh wrote:
> On Dec 2, 6:33 pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <o...(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Back again and begging for my attention again, I see.
>
> 'Roll Over! Play Dead!'
>
> You're still pwned.
>

> FWIW, an *invisible* P&S camera would solve the light-shadowing
> problem I mentioned. Which part of the CHDK hack is that? :-)

*snicker*

From: -hh on
Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, an *invisible* P&S camera would solve the light-shadowing
> > problem I mentioned.   Which part of the CHDK hack is that?  :-)
>
> *snicker*

Actually, I was reminded of it because a college buddy of my brother
went to work for Kodak and his project involved some work on their
competitor to Polaroid Instamatic ... he had a Kodak prototype that
used all-translucent plastics. It was fun to watch it work the
transport mechanism, etc....but it took lousy pictures.

-hh
From: Neil Harrington on
-hh wrote:
> Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> -hh wrote:
>>>
>>> FWIW, an *invisible* P&S camera would solve the light-shadowing
>>> problem I mentioned. Which part of the CHDK hack is that? :-)
>>
>> *snicker*
>

> Actually, I was reminded of it because a college buddy of my brother
> went to work for Kodak and his project involved some work on their
> competitor to Polaroid Instamatic ... he had a Kodak prototype that
> used all-translucent plastics. It was fun to watch it work the
> transport mechanism, etc....but it took lousy pictures.

Nice solid black negatives, I would imagine, if it was made of
all-translucent plastics.