From: Bob Larter on
Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:59:38 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

>>> Yet pro photographers have been taking photos on ASA25, ASA64, ASA100, and
>>> ASA200 all their lives for nearly a century.
>> Not at night, they haven't.
>>
>>> Higher ISOs are only required
>>> by those that don't know how to use a camera properly--beginner
>>> snapshooters.
>> Ever heard of Tri-X?
>

> Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
> Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
> alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
> Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>
>
> "Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."

I'll take that as a "No". ;^)

From: Bob Larter on
NameHere wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 10:27:06 -0500, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> However for macro work, if one is serious about it, the camera is just the
>> iceberg tip. One also needs decent and somewhat specialized lighting and
>> proper camera supports.
>
> This is where a P&S camera excels. No special lighting nor supports are
> required. Due to the deeper DOF you can shoot remarkable macro photos using
> available light at all times at wider apertures at hand-held shutter
> speeds.

Really? Show us a few 1:1 or even 2:1 macro shots taken with a P&S. I
won't hold my breath while I wait.

From: Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. on

From: Bob Larter on
Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:14:02 +1100, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> NameHere wrote:

>>> This is where a P&S camera excels. No special lighting nor supports are
>>> required. Due to the deeper DOF you can shoot remarkable macro photos using
>>> available light at all times at wider apertures at hand-held shutter
>>> speeds.
>> Really? Show us a few 1:1 or even 2:1 macro shots taken with a P&S. I
>> won't hold my breath while I wait.
>

> Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
> Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
> alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
> Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>
>
> "Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."

I didn't think you could. ;^)

From: Chris Malcolm on
Ray Fischer <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:
> Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>Ray Fischer <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Now how do you attach a studio flash to a P&S without having the
>>> camera's flash screw up the lighting?
>>
>>Reduce the power enough.

> If that's even an option.

>> If the camera controls can't do that enough,
>>stick a bit of white paper over it.

> Seems like it'd be a lot easier to use a better camera.

I'm glad to hear that it's much easier for you to find a few hundred
dollars than to stick a bit of paper over a flashgun window. Some of
us are not so fortunate.

--
Chris Malcolm