From: Neil Harrington on
Bob Larter wrote:
> Pretend-Photographers Is All They Are wrote:

>> I suggest that YOU spend some time learning about close-up
>> photography. Because, clearly, you know absolutely NOTHING about it.
>
> Got some samples to show us of your (no doubt) excellent work?

I guess we've already seen as much of the troll's "excellent work" as anyone
is ever going to see.

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

>> Yet pro photographers have been taking photos on ASA25, ASA64, ASA100, and
>> ASA200 all their lives for nearly a century.

Oh, sure, and that's why the pros are all using P&S cameras ...
so they can get ISO 64 or ISO 50. Who buys and uses the high
end 35mm cameras, the medium format backends and so on? How do
you attach a studio flash system to a P&S camera.

Of course, when shooting sports, it's just the trick to anticipate
the action a few minutes ahead of time and then guess right how
long your P&S will take THIS time to focus properly. Once you
have that skill, you can bet confidentally on the outcome of any
game and have more than enough money to hire pro photographers
who understand what they are doing: they use DSLRs with really
high ISO settings and expensive, fast glass.

> Not at night, they haven't.

Tripod. Doesn't work with grandchildren, creeping moss or any
kind of movable object, though.

>> Higher ISOs are only required
>> by those that don't know how to use a camera properly--beginner
>> snapshooters.

> Ever heard of Tri-X?

No, the slime hasn't, it would destroy it's worn out stupid, wrong
and boneheaded "argument". You must forgive it, it has never
ever even touched a camera, all it knows comes from LSD trips.

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Paul Ciszek <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:

> I realize now that these better cameras with the larger sensors
> may not go as close without special lenses.

Macro is *not* about "close". Macro is about life size on
the sensor (or more).

Case in point: an old film movie camera my father used to have
could literally(!) focus an ant crawling on the front lens.
You cannot get "closer" than that. However, the ant wouldn't
be near it's life size on the film. (And it would be mostly a
black shadow.)

With a macro lens like the 100mm macro from Canon I can shoot
the ant from quite a distance, 149mm from the front of the lens,
and have it appear at it's full size on the sensor. Because the
working distance is large, it's much easier to get light on
the ant --- it's not a shadow any more, even without flash.
Moss and lichen won't flee, but many insects will if you come
too close ... again, more distance is a plus at times.

There's a 1x-5x speciality lens for Canon.

Then there are the old methods of using good lenses and extension
tubes (or bellows) and reverse mounted wide angle lenses.
Tripods are practically mandatory then.

> I still don't think
> I am enough of a photographer to fully utilize, let alone justify,
> a $ingle Len$ Reflex camera.

In which case you probably are happier with a compact camera
for now, so you'll find out what you really want.

-Wolfgang
From: Neil Harrington on

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> Paul Ciszek <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I realize now that these better cameras with the larger sensors
>> may not go as close without special lenses.
>
> Macro is *not* about "close". Macro is about life size on
> the sensor (or more).

The OP did not use the term "macro" either in that post or any other that
I'm aware of. He spoke only of "close up."

In any case, the meaning of "macro" is very fluid. There have been plenty of
macro lenses that focused only to 1:2 without some sort of adapter, several
zoom lens manufacturers have used "macro" to mean a lens that focused to 1:4
or thereabouts; FFL macro lens makers nowadays usually take it to mean *up
to* 1:1 but an earlier and quite legitimate usage was a lens that could
achieve *greater than* 1:1 at the film plane. That is why Nikon calls its
up-to-1:1 lenses "micro" instead -- they aren't just doing that to be
different; they honor the older definition of "macro" meaning greater
magnification than 1:1. Minolta on the other hand used "macro" to mean
either lenses than would go *up to* 1:1 (the current conventinal usage) or
*greater than* 1:1, i.e. their 1-3x macro lens.

Smaller sensors on most of today's DSLRs complicate the matter still
further, since a 1:1 lens on an APS-C camera achieves a magnification (final
image size) equal to 1:0.66 or so on a full-frame camera.

> Case in point: an old film movie camera my father used to have
> could literally(!) focus an ant crawling on the front lens.
> You cannot get "closer" than that. However, the ant wouldn't
> be near it's life size on the film. (And it would be mostly a
> black shadow.)

It's almost like that with my new FZ35, I've discovered. (I'm sorry the OP
doesn't seem to be following this thread anymore since he was considering
buying that model). The "close up" mode allows getting to a very, very close
focusing distance from the lens, but the magnification is not really
satisfactory IMO for the "ultra close up" work he said he wanted to do. And
that very close focusing distance is only available at the extreme wide
angle end -- trying to gain more magnification by zooming doesn't work at
all because zooming even a little greatly increases the near focus distance.

> With a macro lens like the 100mm macro from Canon I can shoot
> the ant from quite a distance, 149mm from the front of the lens,
> and have it appear at it's full size on the sensor. Because the
> working distance is large, it's much easier to get light on
> the ant --- it's not a shadow any more, even without flash.
> Moss and lichen won't flee, but many insects will if you come
> too close ... again, more distance is a plus at times.
>
> There's a 1x-5x speciality lens for Canon.
>
> Then there are the old methods of using good lenses and extension
> tubes (or bellows) and reverse mounted wide angle lenses.
> Tripods are practically mandatory then.
>
>> I still don't think
>> I am enough of a photographer to fully utilize, let alone justify,
>> a $ingle Len$ Reflex camera.
>
> In which case you probably are happier with a compact camera
> for now, so you'll find out what you really want.

Yes, and probably not the FZ35 he was thinking of. Some of my older Coolpix
models actually are *much* better at close-up work than the FZ35, to my
surprise.

From: Ray Fischer on
Bart Bailey <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>01:59:46 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote: Begin
>
>>How do
>>you attach a studio flash system to a P&S camera.
>
>Use a slave trigger.

Now how do you attach a studio flash to a P&S without having the
camera's flash screw up the lighting?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net