From: Wally on
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:55:15 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
wrote:

>Smaller sensors on most of today's DSLRs complicate the matter still
>further, since a 1:1 lens on an APS-C camera achieves a magnification (final
>image size) equal to 1:0.66 or so on a full-frame camera.

How the hell can that be? The image size of the subject will be the
same whether it is cropped or not.

Wally
From: David J Taylor on

"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:55:15 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Smaller sensors on most of today's DSLRs complicate the matter still
>>further, since a 1:1 lens on an APS-C camera achieves a magnification
>>(final
>>image size) equal to 1:0.66 or so on a full-frame camera.
>
> How the hell can that be? The image size of the subject will be the
> same whether it is cropped or not.
>
> Wally

But on the smaller sensor camera a 36 x 24mm subject more than fills the
frame - the area will be 23.6 x 15.8 mm (on a Nikon). Yes, it's still 1:1
magnification, but with a smaller object size filling the frame.

David

From: rwalker on
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:00:13 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:55:15 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Smaller sensors on most of today's DSLRs complicate the matter still
>>>further, since a 1:1 lens on an APS-C camera achieves a magnification
>>>(final
>>>image size) equal to 1:0.66 or so on a full-frame camera.
>>
>> How the hell can that be? The image size of the subject will be the
>> same whether it is cropped or not.
>>
>> Wally
>
>But on the smaller sensor camera a 36 x 24mm subject more than fills the
>frame - the area will be 23.6 x 15.8 mm (on a Nikon). Yes, it's still 1:1
>magnification, but with a smaller object size filling the frame.
>
>David

And if we're talking about the old definition of macro: the item is
life size on the film or sensor,then the size of the film or sensor
doesn't matter. A three mm. long ant at 1:1 will be three mm. long on
an APSC sensor, or a 36 x 24 mm sensor, or on a 9x7 medium format
negative or on a 110 negative. People get themselves all confused
worrying about "crop factors" and holding the old 35 mm. negative size
as some kind of holy relict.
From: J. Clarke on
David J Taylor wrote:
> "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote in message
> []
>> Yes, and probably not the FZ35 he was thinking of. Some of my older
>> Coolpix models actually are *much* better at close-up work than the
>> FZ35, to my surprise.
>
> Nikon Coolpix 990 comes to mind:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/
>
> An object 19mm wide fills the frame in Macro Mode:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/page12.asp
>
> Sample image:
>
> http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/original.asp?review=nikoncp990&orig=/reviews/nikoncp990/Samples/Macro/000415-1655-05.jpg

I've got an FZ-20 and a Coolpix 990 and agree--the old Coolpix is a
remarkably good camera for macro photography despite the by today's
standards tiny pixel count. There's even a ringlight for it that still
occasionally is offered for sale.

I've not used a Canon SX series so can't say for sure how they compare, but
its ability to focus to 0 cm (and supposedly it really _can_ shoot a
fingerprint on the lens) would make it superior to the Panasonic however on
older models that capability was at the wide end of the range only and I
presume this carries through to the SX-20--this is limiting in that you
don't get a lot of working distance. While the Panasonic can't fill the
frame with an object as small as the Canon, the ability to get as close as 2
meters at the long end of the zoom range gives a useful capability with a
working distance that in some cases is more convenient.

Another big downside on the Panasonic is that it's in the lower of the two
FZ bridge camera lines--that means no hot shoe and you need an extra piece
to mount filters--there's no threaded ring on the lens barrel itself and the
filter has to mount to an extender that screws into a ring on the body and
moves it out far enough for the lens to move behind it. The lack of a hot
shoe means that external flash has to be triggered with an optical
slave--not a huge deal but can be annoying--if the onboard flash is putting
light where you don't want it you have to block it while still allowing
enough light leakage to trigger your external flash. Unfortunately the
higher end of their bridge camera range seems to have been discontinued in
favor of their micro 4/3 cameras.

However for macro work, if one is serious about it, the camera is just the
iceberg tip. One also needs decent and somewhat specialized lighting and
proper camera supports. For studio use where you can set something up and
leave it you can put together quite decent setups with pieces from Harbor
Freight and Home Depot, but for a portable rig things can get expensive
fast.

From: Chris Malcolm on
Ray Fischer <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:
> Bart Bailey <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>01:59:46 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote: Begin
>>
>>>How do
>>>you attach a studio flash system to a P&S camera.
>>
>>Use a slave trigger.

> Now how do you attach a studio flash to a P&S without having the
> camera's flash screw up the lighting?

Reduce the power enough. If the camera controls can't do that enough,
stick a bit of white paper over it. If you know enough about light and
exposure to be using a studio flash in the first place then it should
be trivially easy to solve this problem experimentally with the kind
of stuff lying around in the your studio or kitchen.

--
Chris Malcolm