From: Wally on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:46:57 +0000 (UTC), nospam(a)nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
>PowerShot SX20 IS. According to one salesman, the Panasonic is
>supposed to have better quality optics and faster electronics;
>I don't know enough about photography to tell if this online
>review is agreeing with that assessment or not:
>
>http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ35_FZ38/outdoor_results.shtml
>
>http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ35_FZ38/verdict.shtml
>
>Most of my use will be outdoor nature photography, both landscape
>and ultra-closeup (flowers, lichens, minerals, etc.). I care only
>about the quality of the captured image; any post-processing I can
>do on a computer. I do not expect video to play a large role.

Do you have experience with ultra-closeup photography? It is a
demanding field. And the closer you get, the more difficult it
becomes. The depth of field gets very shallow, the lenses become less
sharp, it is hard to focus, hard to compose, and hard to manage camera
shake, and it is hard to get enough light on the subject, especially
quality light.

I suggest that you spend some time learning about closeup photography
before deciding which camera to buy.

To do a good job of closeup photography you will probably need at
least a DSLR and a macro lens, and you may also need lighting
equipment, a focusing rail, etc. depending on your requirements.

That probably was not what you had in mind. The cameras you mention
will do a fine job of scenics, but I think you will have nothing but
frustrations if you try to do closeup photography with them.

Why not borrow a camera and shoot some closeup subjects with it?
That's easier than reading a whole lot of boring stuff about it. You
will find out in a hurry what you are up against.

Wally
From: David J Taylor on
"Paul Ciszek" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
[]
> Something that article doesn't address: Has Panasonic stopped pulling
> the "proprietary batteries only" trick? I just found out about it AFTER
> ordering batteries from Amazon that were advertized as "fitting" the
> FZ35.
>
> The ad may even have been honest as far as it goes...the batteries *fit*
> in the right place, they have the right voltage, they just don't have
> the coded chip.

No idea, Paul. The Panasonic cameras I've used had batteries which were
widely obtainable at good quality and a reasonable price. Same with my
Nikon DSLRs.

If your batteries don't work in the FZ35 you would entitled to a full
refund in the UK as the goods would not be "fit for purpose". Let's know
what you find.

Cheers,
David

From: David J Taylor on
"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in message
[]
> Why not borrow a camera and shoot some closeup subjects with it?
> That's easier than reading a whole lot of boring stuff about it. You
> will find out in a hurry what you are up against.
>
> Wally

Excellent suggestion - although you /can/ take good macro shots with some
small-sensor cameras given enough light. Their larger depth of field can
be an advantage for this application. Out in the field we may not be
talking studio conditions - tripods, focussing rails etc.

Cheers,
David

From: MG on

>I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
> PowerShot SX20 IS. According to one salesman, the Panasonic is
> supposed to have better quality optics and faster electronics;
> I don't know enough about photography to tell if this online
> review is agreeing with that assessment or not:

Did you consider the Nikon P90? It is a competitor to the two cameras you
mentioned.

Is there a review that does a direct comparison between these three?

MG

From: MG on

"Paul Ciszek" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to chose between a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and a Canon
> PowerShot SX20 IS.

Have a look at the Nikon P90 too. It is similar to the two you mentioned.

Does anyone know of a review that compares these three cameras? Would be
interesting to see.

MG