From: R. C. White on
Hi, Nobody.

Sad, but true. :>(

Even the FIRST Usenet site is closing today, May 20, 2010. See these two
related stories:

Help Save a Piece of Usenet History at Duke University
http://www.ngrblog.com/duke-university-usenet/

A Piece of Internet History
http://news.duke.edu/2010/05/usenet.html

To quote Duke University:
The Usenet service news.duke.edu will be decommissioned tomorrow. Widely
considered the first home for newsgroups, Usenet services, in Duke's words,
".have been made unnecessary by the growing use of blogs, social networking
sites and RSS feed."

The dramatic drop in traffic on the Microsoft public news servers
(msnews.microsoft.com) is no doubt because of Microsoft's announcement that
most of those newsgroups will be closed by the end of this Summer. MS wants
everybody to use their forums for support. Many of us MVPs have vigorously
protested this move, but to no avail.

My ISP (Grande Communications, based here in San Marcos, TX) continues to
carry over 100,000 NGs and has not announced plans to drop them...yet.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Andrew on
R. C. White wrote:

Also perhaps a reflection of the fact that Q is a mature product; most of
the bugs and problems and how-tos that early adopters needed assistance on
are done because of lack of new folks using the product and/or lack of new
function that requires explanation (for the most part).

We had quite an influx of posts about Microshaft Money conversion when that
was made public, but that's settled down too.

And as someone else posted, tax season is over, so no more Turbotax
discussions for the most part until November or December. (Assuming we
don't go to a flat tax, usage tax, or VAT tax for the next tax season which
makes a tax program unnecessary. Nah - so simple, so fair, would never fly.
Too many people's oxes and special interests would get gored.)

Regards -

- Andrew

From: XS11E on
charliec(a)email.com wrote:

> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?

It should be obvious that nobody has any problems with Quicken, right?
<snicker>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "XS11E" <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com>

| charliec(a)email.com wrote:

>> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?

| It should be obvious that nobody has any problems with Quicken, right?
| <snicker>

Thanx to the economy I don't have any money left in my MMA to use it :-)

--
Dave

From: XS11E on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> From: "XS11E" <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com>
>
>| charliec(a)email.com wrote:
>
>>> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?
>
>| It should be obvious that nobody has any problems with Quicken,
>| right? <snicker>
>
> Thanx to the economy I don't have any money left in my MMA to use
> it :-)

I had plenty of money but.... I got hungry so I spent my life savings
on a Big Mac and a Coke. <sigh>

The Usenet Improvement Project: