From: Just me on
I still think there's more to this than just people are not using
Usenet like they used to. Something else is going on.

The number of posts in ALL of the newsgroups that I frequent dropped
precipitously starting about three weeks ago. Groups where I used to
get several hundred messages a day have dropped to several dozen and
even less. Some groups where I used to get messages EVERY day I now
often get none.

In addition I have noticed that I no longer get any spam messages in
the newsgroups I subscribe to. Everything that comes down is a
legitimate message. Maybe there is a connection there? And no, the
removal of spam cannot account for all of the decrease in the number
of messages I get!

I'm using Giganews and Comcast..

George
gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net
From: Laura on
Just me wrote:
> I still think there's more to this than just people are not using
> Usenet like they used to. Something else is going on.
>
> The number of posts in ALL of the newsgroups that I frequent dropped
> precipitously starting about three weeks ago. Groups where I used to
> get several hundred messages a day have dropped to several dozen and
> even less. Some groups where I used to get messages EVERY day I now
> often get none.
>
> In addition I have noticed that I no longer get any spam messages in
> the newsgroups I subscribe to. Everything that comes down is a
> legitimate message. Maybe there is a connection there? And no, the
> removal of spam cannot account for all of the decrease in the number
> of messages I get!
>
> I'm using Giganews and Comcast..
>

> George
> gearlnospamno(a)nospamcomcast.net

Most of my newsgroups are down in activity too. So are the yahoo &
e-mail lists that I subscribe too. Many of my internet friends are busy
working outside now that the weather has improved. A few have shifted
from newsgroups/e-mail chat lists to Facebook because they are too busy
doing other things to be online all day.
From: Jim H on
Nobody wrote:

> Non-techies had no idea where to go, as their ISP's didn't point them
> to servers such as Giganews and others.)

Cox sent me an email announcing their withdrawal from Usenet service.
They included a discount offer for Giganews.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Jim H" <jimh(a)invalid.com>

| Nobody wrote:

>> Non-techies had no idea where to go, as their ISP's didn't point them
>> to servers such as Giganews and others.)

| Cox sent me an email announcing their withdrawal from Usenet service.
| They included a discount offer for Giganews.

Just like Verizon and Comcast.

--
Dave

From: wbertram on
On 5/23/2010 1:44 PM, Jim H wrote:
> Nobody wrote:
>
>> Non-techies had no idea where to go, as their ISP's didn't point them
>> to servers such as Giganews and others.)
>
> Cox sent me an email announcing their withdrawal from Usenet service.
> They included a discount offer for Giganews.

Don't forget teranews.com. they offer a free account.