From: Laura on
wbertram(a)teranews.com wrote:
> On 5/23/2010 1:44 PM, Jim H wrote:
>> Nobody wrote:
>>
>>> Non-techies had no idea where to go, as their ISP's didn't point them
>>> to servers such as Giganews and others.)
>>
>> Cox sent me an email announcing their withdrawal from Usenet service.
>> They included a discount offer for Giganews.
>
> Don't forget teranews.com. they offer a free account.

I have a freebie teranews account but don't use it for posting. I have
only been able to get it to post 1 or 2 messages of mine in the 5-6
years that I have had the account. Totally useless if you are an active
poster.

Another free news server is news.eternal-september.org. All text
newsgroups--no binaries allowed.

From: B on
On 5/20/2010 12:55 PM, charliec(a)email.com wrote:
> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?
>
> Charliec
I discovered that the name of the free eternal-september.org newsserver
that I've been using suddenly stopped working. After a couple of days
of getting (not able to connect to server" messages I went to their
website and see that the server name I have been using for months or
years was not listed. When I changed to one of the listed servers all
is well again.

I wonder how many other people have been impacted by that.
From: Han on
B <b(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in news:htc1ac$ho7$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> On 5/20/2010 12:55 PM, charliec(a)email.com wrote:
>> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?
>>
>> Charliec
> I discovered that the name of the free eternal-september.org newsserver
> that I've been using suddenly stopped working. After a couple of days
> of getting (not able to connect to server" messages I went to their
> website and see that the server name I have been using for months or
> years was not listed. When I changed to one of the listed servers all
> is well again.
>
> I wonder how many other people have been impacted by that.

Used to be a song, brother can you spare a dime?
Because of inflation, that should now read $10.
This would give you years of downloads on astraweb.com, where there is no
time limit to get your 25GB of downloads for $10. I have used less than 1
GB since June 20, 2008 (oh-eight).

--
Best regards
Han
From: Laura on
B wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 12:55 PM, charliec(a)email.com wrote:
>> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?
>>
>> Charliec
> I discovered that the name of the free eternal-september.org newsserver
> that I've been using suddenly stopped working. After a couple of days
> of getting (not able to connect to server" messages I went to their
> website and see that the server name I have been using for months or
> years was not listed. When I changed to one of the listed servers all
> is well again.
>
> I wonder how many other people have been impacted by that.

What server were you using? I have always used News.eternal-september.org.

I found several google posts indicating folks using just
eternal-september.org for the server name not being able to connect.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "B" <b(a)invalid.invalid>

| On 5/20/2010 12:55 PM, charliec(a)email.com wrote:
>> What's happening to this newsgroup - no messages for a few days?

>> Charliec
| I discovered that the name of the free eternal-september.org newsserver
| that I've been using suddenly stopped working. After a couple of days
| of getting (not able to connect to server" messages I went to their
| website and see that the server name I have been using for months or
| years was not listed. When I changed to one of the listed servers all
| is well again.

| I wonder how many other people have been impacted by that.

Many - based upon Usenet posts indicating the same.

--
Dave