From: Garrett Smith on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation
>
> There are no "javascript implementations"; that is based on a fantasy
> of yours.

Take that to the dumpster, or Dumpster. I don't want to get my adrenalin
flowing over that. Oops, I meant epinephrine.

[...]

> Further, where does it say that Rhino is "non-browser"?
>
> | [Rhino] is typically embedded into Java applications to provide scripting
> | to end users.

That fact does not make Rhino a browser.

Rhino is used for other things such as JSDocToolkit, YUI Compressor, and
ShrinkSafe. It is not a browser.

Is your point of contention the word "Non-Browser"? If so, why is it bad
and what is a more appropriate alternative?

>> Non-Browser javascript Implementations
>>
>> I think the link should be on the list:
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
>
> Certainly yes, but under a different (more sensible) heading.

How about:

Non-Browser ECMAScript Implementations
<http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>

I don't see any problem with that.
--
Garrett
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation
>>
>> There are no "javascript implementations"; that is based on a fantasy
>> of yours.
>
> Take that to the dumpster, or Dumpster. I don't want to get my adrenalin
> flowing over that. Oops, I meant epinephrine.

Rhino is _not_ a "non-browser javascript implementation".

> [...]
>
>> Further, where does it say that Rhino is "non-browser"?
>>
>> | [Rhino] is typically embedded into Java applications to provide
>> | [scripting | to end users.
>
> That fact does not make Rhino a browser.

And I did not say so. You want to learn to read.

> Rhino is used for other things such as JSDocToolkit, YUI Compressor, and
> ShrinkSafe. It is not a browser.

I did not say so. Learn to read.

> Is your point of contention the word "Non-Browser"?

> If so, why is it bad

Because it's wrong. Learn to read.

> and what is a more appropriate alternative?

ECMAScript implementation. Learn to read.

>>> Non-Browser javascript Implementations
>>>
>>> I think the link should be on the list:
>>> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
>>
>> Certainly yes, but under a different (more sensible) heading.
>
> How about:
>
> Non-Browser ECMAScript Implementations
> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>

So close ... yet so far. It is _not_ "non-browser". Learn to read.

> I don't see any problem with that.

I do, and had you read my posting, you would have, too.

PointedEars
From: RobG on
On Apr 13, 7:53 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> > Garrett Smith wrote:
[...]
> > Further, where does it say that Rhino is "non-browser"?
>
> > | [Rhino] is typically embedded into Java applications to provide scripting
> > | to end users.
>
> That fact does not make Rhino a browser.
>
> Rhino is used for other things such as JSDocToolkit, YUI Compressor, and
> ShrinkSafe. It is not a browser.

Thomas would rather nit-pick at the detail and be obnoxious than solve
the issue efficiently. If you don't get what he thinks he meant the
first time you read what he writes, he thinks you are a complete
idiot. However, if he misunderstands what you write, it's because you
are wrong, didn't explain correctly, or fully, or whatever.

He is intolerant, expect to be chided.

> Is your point of contention the word "Non-Browser"? If so, why is it bad
> and what is a more appropriate alternative?

It seems to me he thinks "non-browser" means not used in a browser (at
all I suppose). So if there is any browser that uses Rhino, it can't,
strictly, be called "non-browser". I guess you could call it a stand-
alone or modularised implementation that can be included in any Java
application, including a browser (which is more or less what you've
already written, I think most will get the idea).

Or you could define "non-browser" as available as a stand-alone module
that is not dependent on a browser. In that case, some "browser"
implementations might need to be re-classified as "non-browser". Do
you want to make this a definitional debate? :)

[...]> How about:

> Non-Browser ECMAScript Implementations
> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
>
> I don't see any problem with that.

Perhaps the issue can be resolved by explaining what is meant by "non-
browser", e.g.

| Non-browser javascript Implementations

The following implementations are not dependent upon a browser.

| Developing Dashboard Widgets
| http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html

Java applications (including browsers)
http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/

--
Rob
From: nick on
On Apr 12, 7:49 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
<snip>
> It seems to me he thinks "non-browser" means not used in a browser (at
> all I suppose). So if there is any browser that uses Rhino, it can't,
> strictly,  be called "non-browser". I guess you could call it a stand-
> alone or modularised implementation that can be included in any Java
> application, including a browser (which is more or less what you've
> already written, I think most will get the idea).
<snip>

Stand-alone was the first thing that came to my mind on hearing this
debate. Of course since some people here seem to have a bit of trouble
with making sensible inferences from things they read, you'd have to
qualify any terms you come up with to avoid the incessant
nitpicking...

"Browser-based" could be used to mean it was originally developed (AKA
'based') in the context of a browser, whether or not it is separable
from the browser or useful for other things, while non-browser-based
(or stand-alone IYP) can mean not originally developed in the context
of a web browser. As long as the terms are descriptive of what they
represent and are clearly defined, I see no reason no to use them (or
similar).

I'll cast my vote for:
"Browser-based javascript engines" / "Stand-alone javascript engines"

/2¢
From: Garrett Smith on
nick wrote:
> On Apr 12, 7:49 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
> <snip>

[...]
> I'll cast my vote for:
> "Browser-based javascript engines" / "Stand-alone javascript engines"

Where does Developing Dashboard Widgets go?
--
Garrett