From: Jorge on
On Apr 13, 9:20 am, Sean Kinsey <okin...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not use something along the lines of "Embeddable/console-based
> [run-time environments/Virtual Machines] for 'javascript'".
> I'm guessing the main point here is to list VM's available for use
> outside the browser right?

Then why not "standalone" ?
--
Jorge.
From: Garrett Smith on
RobG wrote:
> On Apr 13, 3:55 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> RobG wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Not sure that section is useful. Prototype.js is just about dead, the
>>> jQuery forum has moved to a different site and there are a number of
>>> other "popular" libraries whose discussion forums aren't listed. Might
>>> be best to say "search for a relevant group".
>> As in:-
>>
>> | No javascript libraries are endorsed by this group. If you are looking
>> | for help using a library, visit that library's discussion group
>> | instead.
>>
>> And just remove the links found at:
>> <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#libraryResources>
>
> Yes, I think that would be best.

Removed locally.

>> ?
>>
>> The phrase "or ask in
>>
>>> clj" could be added if it is thought such requests will be answered
>>> civilly.
>> I proposed quite some time ago something to the effect of: If you are
>> interested in discussing the design of such libraries, c.l.js is the
>> right place to do that.
>
> What I really meant was ask for directions to a suitable group, not
> for help with a specific library. I think it would be useful though if
> when users of libraries asked questions they were given a response
> that answers their question without the use of the library. I think
> that is far more useful that just chiding them for using a library
> (where "library" means one of jQuery, Prototype, YUI or whatever).

Something like that be appropriate under /faq/#reply.

> [...]
>>> Perhaps just a section on ECMAScript implementations and some uses,
>>> see my reply to your previous post.
>> I see it.
>>
>> What about splitting that section into two:
>
> I think the problem with such a list is maintenance. The section on
> browsers likely needs to be updated a couple of times a year, adding
> other implementations increases the maintenance significantly with
> little benefit (there aren't many questions about javascript outside
> browsers).
>
> How about a heading like "Using javascript without a browser", so the
> use is categorised, not particular implementations. It can then
> discuss how it can be used for server-side processing, Dashboard
> widgets, script shell, etc. to avoid pigeon-holing those that fit into
> more than one category.

Maintenance would be any easier using one list for "Using javascript
without a browser" only if fewer links were included.

The links I proposed, for Rhino, Spidermonkey, and V8, seem unlikely to
change. They're good URLs (or "Cool URIs").

For someone who is learning JS it is at least an eye opener to the fact
that javascript is more than something to add interactivity in web pages.

The two categories -- one for "other host environments" and one for
"standalone implementations" seem to cover all of the possible sub
categories of "javascript outside a browser".

[...]
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
AcidDragon wrote:
> On 12 Apr, 12:51, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
> wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation
>> There are no "javascript implementations"; that is based on a fantasy
>> of yours. There are implementations of _ECMAScript_ (or _ECMAScript_
>> implementations) instead.

[posting order restored]

(see also:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style>)

> But is JavaScript not just ECMAscript 262 with server side and client
> side extensions, mainly around HTML handling?

Yes. JavaScript� is not ECMA-262 with server and client side extensions.

JavaScript� was a trademark of "Sun Microsystems". I assume that it is
now a trademark of Oracle, which acquired Sun. JavaScript� is the term
used to describe Mozilla's version of ECMAScript. See also:

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/About_JavaScript>

The term "javascript" has made its way in to common language as a term
used to describe ECMAScript. See also:
<http://jibbering.com/faq/#ecma>

Other trademarked proper nouns have also become words. For example, the
word "dumpster" is used to describe an industrial-sized container
designed to receive, transport, and dump waste; "adrenalin" is used to
describe the catecholamine "epinepherine", "frisbee" to describe a
flying disc toy; "google", (v) means search the web using Google, and so
on and so forth.

You can see that in my previous reply, I used two of those trademarked
proper nouns to poke fun at Thomas' objections.

Thomas does not approve of this usage of javascript. The usage can be
ambiguous with Mozilla's implementation.

[...]
--
Garrett
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <hpuh5j$1o7$2(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:12:51, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation and it does not appear
>in the FAQ resources under:
>
>Non-Browser javascript Implementations
>
>I think the link should be on the list:
><http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>

That page contains a link :

Help
Some resources if you get stuck.

When I click the link, in FF 3.0.19, transfer gets stuck. I need a Help
link ...

The Documentation link likewise; I wanted to see what compliance it
claimed.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <e885d7b6-5b34-4217-9291-2fb593c25b6b(a)30
g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:20:43, Sean Kinsey
<okinsey(a)gmail.com> posted:
>On Apr 12, 9:12�am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation and it does not appear
>> in the FAQ resources under:
>>
>> Non-Browser javascript Implementations
>>
>> I think the link should be on the list:
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
>> --
>> Garrett
>> comp.lang.javascript FAQ:http://jibbering.com/faq/
>
>Why not use something along the lines of "Embeddable/console-based
>[run-time environments/Virtual Machines] for 'javascript'".
>I'm guessing the main point here is to list VM's available for use
>outside the browser right?

ECMA-type script engines can be classed as follows
Used in Web browsers
Used in Windows Script Host or similar
Used in others.
Some can appear in more than one of those.