From: Bwig Zomberi on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> "Non-Browser javascript Implementations".
> [list]

Can you simply say "JavaScript Engine for Java"?

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Garrett Smith on
RobG wrote:
> On Apr 13, 10:51 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> RobG wrote:

[...]

>> Javascript Library Groups (Google Groups)
>> [list]
>
> Not sure that section is useful. Prototype.js is just about dead, the
> jQuery forum has moved to a different site and there are a number of
> other "popular" libraries whose discussion forums aren't listed. Might
> be best to say "search for a relevant group".

As in:-

| No javascript libraries are endorsed by this group. If you are looking
| for help using a library, visit that library's discussion group
| instead.

And just remove the links found at:
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#libraryResources>

?

The phrase "or ask in
> clj" could be added if it is thought such requests will be answered
> civilly.

I proposed quite some time ago something to the effect of: If you are
interested in discussing the design of such libraries, c.l.js is the
right place to do that.

> If not, it will be counter-productive.
>

>> "Non-Browser javascript Implementations".
>> [list]
>>
>> It could also very well be titled:
>> "Other ECMAScript Implementations"
>
> Perhaps just a section on ECMAScript implementations and some uses,
> see my reply to your previous post.

I see it.

What about splitting that section into two:

| Other Environments
| Developing Dashboard Widgets
| Win32 Scripting, Using Scripting to Automate Windows
| http://cwashington.netreach.net/
| Whitebeam Apache Module - Server Side JavaScript in Apache;
| http://www.whitebeam.org/
|
| Standalone ECMAScript Implementations
| Rhino: an open-source implementation of JavaScript written in Java
| Digital Mars DMD Script, console and MS Active Script implementation
| of ECMAScript
| http://www.digitalmars.com/dscript/

?

BTW - I have not used DMD script for "MS Active Script" and I don't see
anything on the site about that.

[...]

> [...]
>> I guess. Or could have a title:
>>
>> Other ECMAScript Implementations
>
> Or just "ECMAScript implementations"

But then it should seem to include browsers, which it doesn't. Browser
documentation was covered in a previous list "Browser documentation".
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> "Non-Browser javascript Implementations".
>> [list]
>
> Can you simply say "JavaScript Engine for Java"?

I am thinking that DMD script could, with Rhino, go into a separate
category. Please see my response to RobG on this thread. Come to think
of it, Spidermonkey and V8 go there, too.

<http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/>
<http://code.google.com/p/v8/>
--
Garrett
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Bwig Zomberi wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> "Non-Browser javascript Implementations".
>>> [list]
>>
>> Can you simply say "JavaScript Engine for Java"?
>>
> I am thinking that DMD script could, with Rhino, go into a separate
> category. Please see my response to RobG on this thread. Come to think
> of it, Spidermonkey and V8 go there, too.
>
> <http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/>
> <http://code.google.com/p/v8/>

Correction: This would not be useful - "JavaScript Engine for Java" Only
one candidate.

You could have "JavaScript Engines Used In Browsers" and another one for
"Other/Modular JavaScript Engines".

Will you include BESEN?
http://besen.sourceforge.net/

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Sean Kinsey on
On Apr 12, 9:12 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation and it does not appear
> in the FAQ resources under:
>
> Non-Browser javascript Implementations
>
> I think the link should be on the list:
> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
> --
> Garrett
> comp.lang.javascript FAQ:http://jibbering.com/faq/

Why not use something along the lines of "Embeddable/console-based
[run-time environments/Virtual Machines] for 'javascript'".
I'm guessing the main point here is to list VM's available for use
outside the browser right?