From: Garrett Smith on
RobG wrote:
> On Apr 13, 7:53 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> Garrett Smith wrote:
> [...]
>>> Further, where does it say that Rhino is "non-browser"?
>> That fact does not make Rhino a browser.
>>
>> Rhino is used for other things such as JSDocToolkit, YUI Compressor, and
>> ShrinkSafe. It is not a browser.
>
> Thomas would rather nit-pick at the detail and be obnoxious than solve
> the issue efficiently. If you don't get what he thinks he meant the
> first time you read what he writes, he thinks you are a complete
> idiot. However, if he misunderstands what you write, it's because you
> are wrong, didn't explain correctly, or fully, or whatever.
>
> He is intolerant, expect to be chided.
>

>> Is your point of contention the word "Non-Browser"? If so, why is it bad
>> and what is a more appropriate alternative?
>
> It seems to me he thinks "non-browser" means not used in a browser

We have:

ECMAScript
[list]

W3C DOM
[list]

Browser Documentation
[list]

Javascript Library Groups (Google Groups)
[list]

"Non-Browser javascript Implementations".
[list]

It could also very well be titled:
"Other ECMAScript Implementations"

(at
> all I suppose). So if there is any browser that uses Rhino, it can't,
> strictly, be called "non-browser".

"it" is potentially ambiguous and although I know what you meant, it
could be either:

'So if there is any browser that uses Rhino, that browser
can't,strictly, be called "non-browser"'

- which is a true statement but totally pointless or it could mean:

'So if there is any browser that uses Rhino, then Rhino can't,strictly,
be called "non-browser"'

- which is not a true statement.

Rhino fits that category of non browser because it is an implementation
of ECMAScript that is not a browser and not tied to a browser.

Regardless, either of "Other" or "Non-browser" is fine by me. I find
neither to be confusing in any way.

[...]

>> I don't see any problem with that.
>
> Perhaps the issue can be resolved by explaining what is meant by "non-
> browser", e.g.
>
> | Non-browser javascript Implementations
>
> The following implementations are not dependent upon a browser.

I guess. Or could have a title:

Other ECMAScript Implementations
--
Garrett
From: nick on
On Apr 12, 8:38 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> nick wrote:
> > "Browser-based javascript engines" / "Stand-alone javascript engines"
>
> Where does Developing Dashboard Widgets go?

The way I see it, Dashboard Widgets would be a "stand-alone javascript
engine" based on webkit, a "browser-based javascript engine."

Similarly, node.js would be a "stand-alone javascript engine" based on
V8, a "browser-based javascript engine."

That way you can have different flavors of the same ES implementation
under each category if you need to.

-- Nick
From: RobG on
On Apr 13, 10:38 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> nick wrote:
> > On Apr 12, 7:49 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> [...]> I'll cast my vote for:
> > "Browser-based javascript engines" / "Stand-alone javascript engines"
>
> Where does Developing Dashboard Widgets go?

With the entry for SquirrelFish.

On reflection, the section seems a bit muddled (e.g. Whitebeam is not
an engine, it is a use of Mozilla's SpiderMonkey). If the intention is
to list some javascript engines and uses, perhaps that section should
be re-written to firstly link to details of the implementation, then
to some examples of its use, e.g.

WebKit SquirrelFish: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/SquirrelFish
Used in the WebKit and Safari browsers, can also be used for
developing Dashboard Widgets
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html

Mozilla SpiderMonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/
Used in Mozilla browsers and Whitebeam Apache Module
http://www.whitebeam.org/

Digital Mars DMDScript: http://www.digitalmars.com/dscript/
Stand-alone, open source implementation of ECMAScript.

and so on. Other engines not listed[1]:

1. Rhino - Mozilla
2. V8 - Google
3. KJS - KDE, Konqueror web browser
4. Narcissus - Mozilla (written in JavaScript, seems to be
dependent on SpiderMonkey)
5. Tamarin - formerly by Adobe, now Mozilla
6. ActionMonkey - Mozilla, combination of SpiderMonkey and Tamarin
7. Chakra - Microsoft, for Internet Explorer 9
8. Nitro - precursor to SquirrelFish

Or should the entry simply note that there are implementations that
aren't dependent on browsers and link to Wikipedia?

<FAQENTRY>

The link under the item:

Win32 Scripting, Using Scripting to Automate Windows
http://cwashington.netreach.net/

is no longer active, Win32Scripting has closed its doors. Either a new
link is required or the item should be removed.

</FAQENTRY>

1. Most of the list came from Wikipedia:

--
Rob
From: nick on

> based on webkit, a "browser-based javascript engine."
^^^^^^

Sorry, I guess that should be SquirrelFish(?) although webkit may be
worth mentioning here too.
From: RobG on
On Apr 13, 10:51 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> RobG wrote:
[...]
> > It seems to me he thinks "non-browser" means not used in a browser
>
> We have:
>
> ECMAScript
> [list]
>
> W3C DOM
> [list]
>
> Browser Documentation
> [list]
>
> Javascript Library Groups (Google Groups)
> [list]

Not sure that section is useful. Prototype.js is just about dead, the
jQuery forum has moved to a different site and there are a number of
other "popular" libraries whose discussion forums aren't listed. Might
be best to say "search for a relevant group". The phrase "or ask in
clj" could be added if it is thought such requests will be answered
civilly.

If not, it will be counter-productive.

> "Non-Browser javascript Implementations".
> [list]
>
> It could also very well be titled:
> "Other ECMAScript Implementations"

Perhaps just a section on ECMAScript implementations and some uses,
see my reply to your previous post.

> (at
>
> > all I suppose). So if there is any browser that uses Rhino, it can't,
> > strictly, be called "non-browser".
>
> "it" is potentially ambiguous and although I know what you meant

Oh dear, Thomas has gotten to you! :)

[...]
> I guess. Or could have a title:
>
> Other ECMAScript Implementations